Spectacular Chan mines gold in Taipei | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Spectacular Chan mines gold in Taipei

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
No need to gasp here Max, if I can speak for you, 4everchan, all he is saying is that while at times we may feel that our skating heroes are Gods in many ways, the reality is, they are the same as you and I.

I hope I have that right 4everchan?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
that's correct... and hence the saying used by my folks. it isn't meant to be offensive, quite the contrary.
No need to gasp here Max, if I can speak for you, 4everchan, all he is saying is that while at times we may feel that our skating heroes are Gods in many ways, the reality is, they are the same as you and I.

I hope I have that right 4everchan?

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
I want to say something about the costume thing, and before I do also point out that I am not saying any poster needs to be a fan of any skaters whose names I might mention.

I tend to agree with the folks who say they are on board with simple, understated, no frills, whatever you want to call it, costumes. I have no problem with Patrick's attire for the long, and would say it is reflective of the qualities of the music. Yuzuru is undoubtedly my favorite skater, but I actually rather dislike his free skate costume. I find the program so much more amazing to watch in his practice sessions where the shapes he makes with his body are much more apparent. The percussion in the music sort of lends itself to this sharpness in my opinion. What I am wondering is, how much of a role does costuming play these days? It seemed to be an important factor, especially through the nineties right up until the advent of IJS, where good costuming was often talked about as contributing something to the artistic score of a skater. If Michelle Kwan had skated her Salome program in just a solid-blue, short-sleeved, no-sequins dress would the "artistic impression" have been as strong? Has there been a conscious move away from costuming in this way?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I want to say something about the costume thing, and before I do also point out that I am not saying any poster needs to be a fan of any skaters whose names I might mention.

I tend to agree with the folks who say they are on board with simple, understated, no frills, whatever you want to call it, costumes. I have no problem with Patrick's attire for the long, and would say it is reflective of the qualities of the music. Yuzuru is undoubtedly my favorite skater, but I actually rather dislike his free skate costume. I find the program so much more amazing to watch in his practice sessions where the shapes he makes with his body are much more apparent. The percussion in the music sort of lends itself to this sharpness in my opinion. What I am wondering is, how much of a role does costuming play these days? It seemed to be an important factor, especially through the nineties right up until the advent of IJS, where good costuming was often talked about as contributing something to the artistic score of a skater. If Michelle Kwan had skated her Salome program in just a solid-blue, short-sleeved, no-sequins dress would the "artistic impression" have been as strong? Has there been a conscious move away from costuming in this way?

Well, this is an interesting question. Michelle was playing a Character/Role of Salome and IMO, Patrick is doing an Interpretive Dance and they are two different things. I hope that made sense.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yup... that's the thing... i am fine with some costumes that are more elaborated when there's a character... like cynthia phaneuf cleopatra ;) but not with abstract music
Well, this is an interesting question. Michelle was playing a Character/Role of Salome and IMO, Patrick is doing an Interpretive Dance and they are two different things. I hope that made sense.

mrrice

Record Breaker
yup... that's the thing... i am fine with some costumes that are more elaborated when there's a character... like cynthia phaneuf cleopatra ;) but not with abstract music

Speaking of Cynthia Phanuef. I have a question for you Canadians. Why didn't she keep her Gold Sequin SP Dress for Spanish Guitar during the 2010/11 season.

Look at the close up shot of her at the top of this program. Simply beautiful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSLT_Mg33zM

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
mrrice

i don't think anyone answered your pointing fingers by Kathy Johnson question ....

You should watch the KnC ... it's gold... in both meanings of the word.

1) Chan and Kathy are just very happy because the skate was epic... they are patiently waiting for the scores but they don't care... and of course, nobody expects him to win since Jin did well and had this HUGE lead...
2) the score comes up... and they are happy... but Kathy didn't realize that not only he has won the free skate but the whole deal as well...
3) chan says... I won!!!!
4) she points... and says OMG i hadn't even noticed

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yes.. and i find this odd as the free skate is so much harder... he does all varieties of jumps... not just the toe, lutz and axel that he does in the SP.... and of course, it's much longer... only explanation, is that it's a question of either affinity with the program itself or more experience with it, since he learned it last year for japan open... and MTK is brand new... in any case, for me, and I don't care what other people will say, it is the best FP of the season in terms of quality of every element, musicality, interpretation and choreography. Every single move is integrated with a purpose in the program... nothing is superfluous or out of place. So glad we got to see this...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
mrrice

i don't think anyone answered your pointing fingers by Kathy Johnson question ....

You should watch the KnC ... it's gold... in both meanings of the word.

1) Chan and Kathy are just very happy because the skate was epic... they are patiently waiting for the scores but they don't care... and of course, nobody expects him to win since Jin did well and had this HUGE lead...
2) the score comes up... and they are happy... but Kathy didn't realize that not only he has won the free skate but the whole deal as well...
3) chan says... I won!!!!
4) she points... and says OMG i hadn't even noticed

He had said he had his goals to accomplish for this LP and he didn't care about the score or winning. Their K&C reactions showed that they really didn't place so much importance on winning. They were happy with the scores validating what he set out to do and winning it all was a bonus. It was during their embrace that Patrick looked up to notice his win and he informed her. Yes, her genuine reaction was gold.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
yes.. and i find this odd as the free skate is so much harder... he does all varieties of jumps... not just the toe, lutz and axel that he does in the SP.... and of course, it's much longer... only explanation, is that it's a question of either affinity with the program itself or more experience with it, since he learned it last year for japan open... and MTK is brand new... in any case, for me, and I don't care what other people will say, it is the best FP of the season in terms of quality of every element, musicality, interpretation and choreography. Every single move is integrated with a purpose in the program... nothing is superfluous or out of place. So glad we got to see this...

He's done so well with this FP that I think he should keep it until the Olympics... or until the layout is maxed out, whichever comes first. Anybody else agree?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
why are you always so eloquent while editing my posts :) hehe we meant pretty much the same but mrrice, just listen to VB :) he has the better explanation of the golden finger :)
He had said he had his goals to accomplish for this LP and he didn't care about the score or winning. Their K&C reactions showed that they really didn't place so much importance on winning. They were happy with the scores validating what he set out to do and winning it all was a bonus. It was during their embrace that Patrick looked up to notice his win and he informed her. Yes, her genuine reaction was gold.

- - - Updated - - -

welll ... no... i want more and more and more awesome new programs :) bring me more :)
He's done so well with this FP that I think he should keep it until the Olympics... or until the layout is maxed out, whichever comes first. Anybody else agree?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

The choreography of the SP was too tight between the first two jump passes. They went back to the music designer to add two 2-second segments. Patrick showed at the Nationals that the new arrangements had worked out well. Unfortunately, at the 4CC, he had a very difficult time with the ice conditions, which other skaters had complained about as well, and could not use his deep edges for the SP, thus a relatively poor result.

All the conditions turned out right for his LP and the champion delivered.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yup... i know about the two seconds and the ice condition... but i still feel that SP may create some more trouble... hopefully i am wrong...
The choreography of the SP was too tight between the first two jump passes. They went back to the music designer to add two 2-second segments. Patrick showed at the Nationals that the new arrangements had worked out well. Unfortunately, at the 4CC, he had a very difficult time with the ice conditions, which other skaters had complained about as well, and could not use his deep edges for the SP, thus a relatively poor result.

All the conditions turned out right for his LP and the champion delivered.

plus, patrick should totally change it, put the axel in the second half he needs the 10 percent bonus ;)