2015-2016 Ladies Power Rankings | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Ladies Power Rankings

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I feel like people really underestimate Anna if she skates clean:think: She is a better version of Gracie Gold artistry wise, so if she is clean - beware everybody!

Agree, but with the way the season has gone I don't know if Anna has a shot to get on the podium at Worlds even if she is clean. I think she could deserve to, but I can see someone else getting the nod instead due to reputation or PCS, etc. I personally thought she was better than Radionova at Nationals, but the scores did not reflect this.

The podium at Worlds though is a crapshoot because Mao, Ashley, and Gracie are all very inconsistent, and they are 3 of the main contenders along with Miyahara, Medvedeva, and Radionova (who herself has not been a stranger to mistakes this season, though she is still more consistent than the rest of the field).

Lexiglass

On the Ice
I feel like people really underestimate Anna if she skates clean:think: She is a better version of Gracie Gold artistry wise, so if she is clean - beware everybody!

To me, Gracie and Anna are almost exactly the same, performance wise. Gracie's programs are better choreographed than Anna's and her mistakes tend to be less disruptive than Anna's crazy falls though.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Here are my power rankings for worlds.

1. Evgeniya Medvedeva (up 6). You can always count on Evgeniya. Honestly, I don't remember the last time she missed a triple jump. She consistently lands the jumps with arms over head and offers nice spins and good interpretation. Her program component scores are, in my opinion, too high, but it is what it is. If she skates clean at Worlds, she will be rewarded with a score that is not too far off Yuna's world record.

2. Satoko Miyahara (up 1). Ms. Consistency delivers time after time, and in a discipline where not many people ever skate clean, she stands out. I love her two programs and it is nice to see her be rewarded with higher program component scores. Although she's gotten rid of her underrotation calls, personally I would rarely ever give her higher than 0 GOE for any jumping passes, because they are so low and usually pre-rotated. I do wonder how much that would affect her scores. It will be a big surprise if Satoko finishes off the podium at worlds.

3. Elena Radionova (up 3). Radionova has not succumbed to sophomore slumping like her former rival Tuktamysheva has. Her jumps are never stellar, and her axel in particular can look particularly awful sometimes, but like her fellow Russian Medvedeva, she knows how to fight her way through programs, and as a result, you can usually count on her to show up and skate well. I strongly dislike her music this season and her programs do absolutely nothing for me, but she does sell them.

4. Mao Asada (down 3). I'm still waiting for that dynamite performance from Mao this season. I don't think she's done a clean short program with ratified jumps yet, and certainly has not done a clean long. She has huge base value, with her triple axels and flip loops, but she needs to be clean and get the edge and rotation calls she needs, because there are others who are doing clean programs around her. It doesn't seem likely that she will win worlds, but I do believe that if she does somehow skate clean, it is hers to lose.

5. Gracie Gold (down 1). US Nationals was her MOMENT. She finally did the clean free skate we were waiting for her to do. I hoped that would be the start of a run for her, but she went to 4CC and did not place in the podium. Gracie has everything- the big jumps, the spins, and the skating skills. However, her major challenge is her mental strength. She's so up and down, and when she's having a bad day, her program is also a bore because she neglects the music and the choreography. A clean Gracie is capable of a medal at worlds, but right now that is very far from a guarantee.

6. Ashley Wagner (down 1). Ashley has, like Gracie, had her ups and downs this season. I like her programs (her short is lovely and I am one of the few who likes her repeated free skate to Moulin Rouge), but it is almost as if she needs to bomb the short program in order to have a solid free skate. She loves being the underdog and likes to be behind, but the problem is that at worlds, she cannot afford to be behind if she wants to medal. I'd love to see Ashley skate two great programs at worlds, and if she does, she will be rewarded with big program components, but I just can't see that happening.

7. Rika Hongo (up from honorable mentions). Hongo is usually pretty consistent and her programs are fine. I am not a big fan of her skating and rarely rewatch her performances, but again, consistency pays in ladies skating. She won't medal, but she will be somewhere in the top ten.

8. Polina Edmunds (same). So much of her placement will depend on the judges and if they decide to give her underrotation calls. I think she will skate two "clean" performances at worlds- I believe she has, out of the three US ladies, been the most consistent in terms of landing her jumps, so if she avoids the carrots in both programs, she may in fact beat some of her rivals and place quite high.

9. Anna Pogorilaya (up from honorable mentions). Anna is someone who could finish top 5 if she ever skated clean. Her jumps are enormous when she's on, and I do like her programs this year- they suit her. BUT she is possibly the biggest headcase in the field, because one catastrophic fall can lead to another.... and another. She can be brilliant, like she showed us in that Senior B last year, but she can also be a hot mess. Who knows which Anna shows up at worlds, but I don't exactly have a lot of confidence in her, given her record.

10. So Youn Park (up from honorable mentions). After a poor grand prix showing from Park, she seemed to have turned a corner at Korean Nationals with her clean free skate. She went back to her RJ program last year, and not only does she look more comfortable with the jumps- she also is selling it more. She had an excellent fourth place finish at 4CC, and if she brings her best, she will secure a top 10 finish at worlds.

Honorable mentions for worlds: Alaine Chartrand, Gabby Daleman, Roberta Rodeghiero.

Honorable mentions for skaters missing worlds: Yulia Lipnitskaya, Mirai Nagasu, Kaetlyn Osmond.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Gracie's programs are better choreographed than Anna's
the opposite for me
Maybe the SP can be considered better but the LP is laugh inducing:slink:

I love how there was at the beginning of the season
Everyone was sure its gonna be Liza vs Mao:rofl:
:(

Last edited:

Lexiglass

On the Ice
the opposite for me
Maybe the SP can be considered better but the LP is laugh inducing:slink:

Agree to disagree, but "laugh inducing" is frankly rude and unnecessary.

IMO, both of Gracie's programs are very well choreographed - clear themes, transitions that suit the music and add to the program as a whole, difficult and intricate step sequences. The long program in particular has a really nice layout, I like where the elements are placed, I think they go well with the music and help the program build intensity. None of that is a comment on Gracie as a performer - in fact I think another, more naturally engaging skater with Gracie's programs would make them shine much brighter. Anna, on the other hand, has programs that feel much less carefully thought out, IMO. Her transitions and step sequences aren't as well timed to work with the music, she doesn't commit to each movement and hold it out. The layout of her FP is predictable. Her program feels very one-level compared to Gracie's. You can tell that she doesn't have people like Frank/Lori or Eteri helping her to look polished and complete.

Truth be told, if Anna was American she would be Gracie. She is equally challenged when it comes to emoting and performing consistently. In the U.S., given her technical ability, she would end up with a top coach and would be packaged better - instead of getting frantic COP programs.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
What I would actually like to see is Radionova skating Gracie's Firebird program. She'd sell that thing and make it fly!

Anna's Sp is one of my favorite SP's of the season. The step sequence at the end (when she's not falling all over the place) is right up there with Kanako's. :love:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Radionova cannot skate to Gracie's firebird.
it is a very sophisticated program in terms of choreography. I could not imagine Radio skate to it (not every program is emoting and joy, I dont think Radio is a good match for this choreography and can pull it off as Gracie does so far). And lay-egg-move has to be there. Hold_silence move has to be there, quirky head move and finger flip has to be there, cos it is from the original ballet!!!
Even as graceful as my fav Ballerina, cannot pull off those moves without intrigue some laugh from certain audience.

EDIT: besides those quirky moves (may not be every one's cup of tea) but it is authentic to the ballet and music, other aspects of figure skating components, such as patterns, jumping pass placement and phrasing, spin phrasing, varieties(all sorts of variety).
Lexiglass summarized it very well. if Gracie cleans this program, it deserves highest PCS of this season IMO.

Also, this kinda choreo make it very difficult to match the music(interpretation), it is a string of jewels (like Gracie said), every step is stitched together with music, miss one step, the jewels scatter, the music is not forgiving or hiding at all.
Gracie is stepping towards the right kinda of choreo artistically, the kinda choreo figure skating should reward. although Gracie is not naturally as fluid or musical as some rarely talented skaters. but she is improving towards the right direction.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
it is a very sophisticated program in terms of choreography. I could not imagine Radio skate to it (not every program is emoting and joy, I dont think Radio is a good match for this choreography and can pull it off as Gracie does so far). And lay-egg-move has to be there. Hold_silence move has to be there, quirky head move and finger flip has to be there, cos it is from the original ballet!!!
Even as graceful as my fav Ballerina, cannot pull off those moves without intrigue some laugh from certain audience.

Firebird Choreo I think it would challenge Elena to hold a movement properly as well as suit her own fiery nature. I just can't see Gracie (so far) really committing to the choreo 100%, it still looks stilted to me. So that's why I'm curious to see what Elena could do with it. She'd be much less graceful, but she would sell it better in my mind. But you know, it's just fantasy, something I'd like to see some time.

-And if one is going to lay an egg on the ice, it ought to be a Fabergé egg. Pamigena, you are right on; or a golden egg. :biggrin:

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
it's just fantasy,
to perform to a choreo like Gracie's is DIFFICULT, it is another kinda difficulty, just like TES difficulty, you need skills to pull it off. it is not like sending a Russian girl to US and give her the best packaging/choreo, so we will have a perfect skater. NO, it is not that simple, Case in point, JuliaLip was getting choreo from US. But she cannot pull it off, she does not has the capability nor SKILLs to pull it off. Radio is fierce, but pull off Firebird choreo need more than fierce. think it another way, if Radio indeed skated to firebird. can she still be fierce but not seems frantic or worried.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
to perform to a choreo like Gracie's is DIFFICULT, it is another kinda difficulty, just like TES difficulty, you need skills to pull it off. it is not like sending a Russian girl to US and give her the best packaging/choreo, so we will have a perfect skater. NO, it is not that simple, Case in point, JuliaLip was getting choreo from US. But she cannot pull it off, she does not has the capability nor SKILLs to pull it off. Radio is fierce, but pull off Firebird choreo need more than fierce. think it another way, if Radio indeed skated to firebird. can she still be fierce but not seems frantic or worried.
-That's exactly what I'd like to see. :) Both a challenge for her and something to explore.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker

EDIT: besides those quirky moves (may not be every one's cup of tea) but it is authentic to the ballet and music, other aspects of figure skating components, such as patterns, jumping pass placement and phrasing, spin phrasing, varieties(all sorts of variety).
Lexiglass summarized it very well. if Gracie cleans this program, it deserves highest PCS of this season IMO.

Also, this kinda choreo make it very difficult to match the music(interpretation), it is a string of jewels (like Gracie said), every step is stitched together with music, miss one step, the jewels scatter, the music is not forgiving or hiding at all.
Gracie is stepping towards the right kinda of choreo artistically, the kinda choreo figure skating should reward. although Gracie is not naturally as fluid or musical as some rarely talented skaters. but she is improving towards the right direction.

Well, tbh, i disagree that Gracie pulls that choreo off. Her arms are very stiff and just make the whole thing extremely awkward.
Honestly, Gracie can do the technical part maybe, but she doesnt seem to feel the music or to perform it even a tiny little bit =( And this choreo just highlights how she cannot do the artistic part.

andyjo24

Medalist
Well, tbh, i disagree that Gracie pulls that choreo off. Her arms are very stiff and just make the whole thing extremely awkward.
Honestly, Gracie can do the technical part maybe, but she doesnt seem to feel the music or to perform it even a tiny little bit =( And this choreo just highlights how she cannot do the artistic part.

Yet the judges give her higher scores for Interpretation than Skating Skills. Yikes

Lexiglass

On the Ice
Firebird Choreo I think it would challenge Elena to hold a movement properly as well as suit her own fiery nature. I just can's see Gracie (so far) really committing to the choreo 100%, it still looks stilted to me. So that's why I'm curious to see what Elena could do with it. She'd be much less graceful, but she would sell it better in my mind. But you know, it's just fantasy, something I'd like to see some time.

-And if one is going to lay an egg on the ice, it ought to be a Fabergé egg. Pamigena, you are right on; or a golden egg. :biggrin:

It would be fun to see Elena skate a program like Gracie's firebird, I think it would really challenge her and make her a better skater - and she would definitely bring more fire than Gracie. OTOH, it might exacerbate her posture her issues and not work at all. Hard to say.

Lexiglass

On the Ice

I'm somewhat less harsh on Gracie's performance ability than you. I think the best performance of firebird she's given was Skate America, and while that wasn't a master class in artistry I also didn't find it awkward, I thought it was actually pretty good. I think the choreography helps Gracie interpret the music - there are very clear moments that she is supposed to hit, and very clear shapes that she's supposed to make on the ice, and that's helpful for someone like her who can be stiff and expressionless. It's not a soft program, so the stiffness doesn't detract as much as it might. Also, it's very PCS friendly - it doesn't hit the emotional resonance that I want from skating, but it hits a lot of PCS bullet points very well.

As an aside, I think I end up defending Gracie a lot not so much because I think she's so amazing - I recognize that her performance ability, specifically her ability to emotionally resonate with the audience, is pretty mediocre - but because I feel bad that people seem to dislike her so much. True life: skating forums turned me into a Gracie Gold fan.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight

Julia got choreographer from Zueva. How is it from US? Gracie's choreography is based on Russian ballet btw, so get your facts before posting. And Gracie won't pull off any of Julia's programs as well. Countries are absolutely irrelevant.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia got choreographer from Zueva. How is it from US? Gracie's choreography is based on Russian ballet btw, so get your facts before posting. And Gracie won't pull off any of Julia's programs as well. Countries are absolutely irrelevant.
Good post but you forgot to disparage another skater to make your point. Aren't you afraid people may take you seriously :biggrin:

I love Gracie, Julia, and Lena a lot but the only interchanging programs that I think would work would be Lena doing Firebird. In fact...I sort of really want to see it. Good call Specs :agree:

Hooray for individuality

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm somewhat less harsh on Gracie's performance ability than you. I think the best performance of firebird she's given was Skate America, and while that wasn't a master class in artistry I also didn't find it awkward, I thought it was actually pretty good. I think the choreography helps Gracie interpret the music - there are very clear moments that she is supposed to hit, and very clear shapes that she's supposed to make on the ice, and that's helpful for someone like her who can be stiff and expressionless. It's not a soft program, so the stiffness doesn't detract as much as it might. Also, it's very PCS friendly - it doesn't hit the emotional resonance that I want from skating, but it hits a lot of PCS bullet points very well.

As an aside, I think I end up defending Gracie a lot not so much because I think she's so amazing - I recognize that her performance ability, specifically her ability to emotionally resonate with the audience, is pretty mediocre - but because I feel bad that people seem to dislike her so much. True life: skating forums turned me into a Gracie Gold fan.

For me, after seeing Gracie do a perfect SP in person at last year's WTT, the frustration is now magnified when she tunes out of the music and/or makes silly mistakes. she's got oodles of possibilities but isn't grabbing them and making them hers. -But Gracie did change my mind doing so well at WTT SP. She really needs to do more of that. Show the fans that she's trustworthy to either do a whole-hearted performance or at least a technically sound one. Both if possible.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Good post but you forgot to disparage another skater to make your point. Aren't you afraid people may take you seriously :biggrin:

I love Gracie, Julia, and Lena a lot but the only interchanging programs that I think would work would be Lena doing Firebird. In fact...I sort of really want to see it. Good call Specs :agree:

Hooray for individuality

:agree: I'll do that next time! (in my next life perhaps :biggrin:)

I want to see Gracie or Ashley pulling off Sotskova's SP. I think both of them can perform it really brilliantly

Last edited:

Tyranid

Final Flight
With all the talk about double 2A-3T in the bonus, backloading with tanos, euler combos, etc... The base values for the top women are very close.

SP: Medvedeva - 33.10, Miyahara - 33.06, Radionova - 32.86/33.06 (ritt/flip), Wagner - 31.94, Gold - 33.06.

LP: Miyahara - 62.96, Radionova - 62.50, Gold - 62.49, Wagner - 62.44, Medvedeva - 62.33.

Total TES:

1. Miyahara - 96.06
2. Radionova (flip) - 95.56
3 .Gold - 95.55
4. Medvedeva - 95.43
Radionova (ritt) - 95.36
5. Wagner - 94.38

Mao is a special case. Theory: 38.8 + 67.96 = 106.06. But these skates will not happen.

So as you can see Miyahara has the HIGHEST BV. The 2A-3T strat is legit.

Edit: how could I've forgotten that Yuna abused this as well.

Last edited: