2016 Team Challenge Cup - Day 2 | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2016 Team Challenge Cup - Day 2

Itzme

Rinkside
Since we are talking bear names again... What would Medveditsa translate to? There is a song that I like called that... i have seen it translated as Polar Bear and She Bear before. At some point last season the "Medved" aspect clicked thanks to this forum and it become much easier to search for. But I am curious as to what Medveditsa would translate to.
Female bear

Itzme

Rinkside
It was a fun and entertaining event, not to be taken too seriously, like splitting hairs over these incredible scores. Speaking of scores, perhaps a different scoring system would be appropriate here to ensure no confusion with real competitions. Christopher Dean was the major highlight for me - top star of the show! Plus the prom banner from Nam... Too cute - this is what will be remembered. And of course Shoma's quad is an amazing bonus!

bixby

Final Flight
Hate to break it to you, but this event wasn't that great. Glad I saved myself the $9.99, so I am grateful for that much.

Whether this was a great of an event or not, I didn't have any expectation. Worlds to me was the end of the season. This was just a bonus so to speak. I didn't bother to even think what the format would be, what the trophy would look like or how the judging would be or whether this is dumb competition or not. I just want to enjoy and see their program one last time. At least there was another event for all figure skating fans.

I'm really grateful for you though; I get to pick and choose what I want to watch from your vids from time to time.

andromache

Record Breaker
That's very interesting comment, thx. Got me thinking! :think:

I think the story the choreography of Med's program is telling is far more complex and requires more range than the little girl in the red coat. Little girl in the red coat from Schindler's List is certainly moving and memorable, but it's somewhat more one-note than Med's program. But Schindler's List is also more accessible to general audiences than the story Averbukh is telling in Med's program.

I didn't care for this program up until Worlds, really. Part of that is my own dumbness, probably, but I also think it took time for Evgenia to learn how to tell this complicated story with her face and her movements effectively. But she learned to do it and now this program just blows me away.

Klarnet

On the Ice
Speaking of scores, perhaps a different scoring system would be appropriate here to ensure no confusion with real competitions.

That would only add more confusion along with already convoluted rules of this event

randomfan

Record Breaker
This was, for me, a mixed feelings event. The format was pretty confusing and I'm still not happy about the pairs and dance teams only skating once since it seems pretty unfair. But on the bright side, the team support was heartwarming and the kiss and cry was cute and fun just like WTT. It's even better to see friendships with skaters in other countries. Here is my usual personal ladies summary. Since there's no individual total score ranking, I'll list them by the free skate ranking. And also, don't worry - I won't talk about the scoring since apparently the scores won't count. ;)

1. Evgenia Medvedeva: Her being able to finish off the season with another clean performance showed me a star quality in her skating that I've never realized before. She isn't one of my favourites yet still, but I'm starting to really enjoy her skating. Plus, her personality is great and those kiss and cry scenes prove that! :biggrin:
2. Satoko Miyahara: Beautiful skate as usual from Satoko! :clap: It seems that people criticize her FS because they see it as boring or one-note. I'd like to point out that soft music does not always mean boring. Along with Jason Brown's FS (which was pretty similar to Satoko's), I think some people are just not fond of a lyrical style which makes me a bit sad. Anyways, I've really enjoyed Satoko's skating this season and I'm looking forward to her next season.
3. Ashley Wagner: Compared to the GPF and Worlds, this final performance of Moulin Rouge seemed rather "meh" to me. The artistry wasn't as good and she seemed a bit off. Nevertheless, it was a pretty good skate with a few errors here and there. I'm so happy that Ashley was able to have a killer season!
4. Gracie Gold: Nice skate and good farewell to Firebird. Gracie has been through many ups and downs this season, so seeing her end the season on a good note is really a little victory of her own. I think people (including myself sometimes...) tend to be critical of her, with high expectations and all. But obviously she is only human and can't handle it. I hope next season, all the hate towards her will cease. I'll be cheering too! :cheer2:
5. Elena Radionova: Great comeback after the SP, and thank you for changing back to the Euros dress! Unlike most of the others, I'm relieved to see both of her programs go. Lena is a skater that many people can enjoy, but her programs this season were just so *facepalm* that people were prevented from enjoying her fully. I'm hoping that she gets a good rest and prepares hard for next season!
6. Elizabet Tursynbaeva: Is she having 3F problems lately? That seems to almost always be her nemesis jump. Moving on though, I'm glad to have discovered such a talented young skater, and she definitley became someone to watch closely from now on.
7. Rika Hongo: Poor Rika, She was doing pretty well until the fall. Overall, she looked very exhausted here. I hope that like Lena, she gets enough rest and comes back strong next season.
8. Gabrielle Daleman: After a strong SP, it was too bad that she couldn't replicate her Worlds FS here. Some mistakes got her a lot behind. Gabby is a powerful skater and she seems to also be improving on her artistry little by little. I hope that those steps can get her very far next season. I'll be rooting for her too! :dance:
9. Roberta Rodeghiero: Solid showing for her, but sadly it's just too understandable why her scores are always very low compared to the others. If she is continuing skating, I hope that she develops a special aspect of her skating, which will get her further.

Also, some other highlights: Nam's sign about Polina :yay:, Shoma's 4F, Jason Brown, and my favourite: THE KISS AND CRY. :)

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
What??? Scores in the fun fluff competition are too high??? NO! TRAVESTY! SCANDAL! ROBBED!

Y'all are some negative nancies. Anytime anyone receives a higher score than the PBs of Yuna, Mao, or Carolina, the sky is falling and the sport is a disaster.

I agree the ladies' score here means nothing and we all can LOL about it. But when it comes to 'real' thing we cannot just let that happen. If a program is really worth more than their PBs then fine, it's ok. But if it does not, it just cannot receive 150. It's about fair and appropriate judging.

- - - Updated - - -

Woah finally this show/game show (directly quoting from skaters) is over, I can go enjoy some real skating program from Ice Legends.

And Good Luck on your prom Nam!:agree:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I agree the ladies' score here means nothing and we all can LOL about it. But when it comes to 'real' thing we cannot just let that happen. If a program is really worth more than their PBs then fine, it's ok. But if it does not, it just cannot receive 150. It's about fair and appropriate judging.

143-145 you wanted to say, I got it :yes:
And you are right. That's why Miyahara and Wagner's scores were absolutely undeserved at this event :)

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
The judging at this event was awful. Pulled one skaters, lowballed the others:disapp: It's like Boston never ended with such scores! How could Miyahara get 76 for TES?? They should have given her lower tes and bigger pcs, but okay, whatever..I don't get how can you compare Gold/Wagner to Satoko, not saying anything about Medvedeva! Satoko for clean program - 145, Gold for UNclean program and meh performance/execution - higher pcs (!!!!!!!!!!!) and tes (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Wagner with bad technique is only 2 point lower than Satoko once again. I have a feeling that this event was so politicked that they would have pulled Wagner or Gold to 1st place skate they a little better:palmf: Nowadays the scores are so overrated, TES overrated, good technique overrated, URs and pre-rotations are overlooked, and I'm taking Medvedeva in this list of prerotators too. What do the judges want?

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
they didnt count Elizabet's chsq, she was totally robbed :disapp: :biggrin: so proud of her she ended on high note (minus the step out on flip) , go get some rest now!!
i hope we will see her at gala :agree:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
So those scores don't count as PB, okay it's like Nationals were all the scores are inflated, but a little more cheesy.

In that context, why only 133 for Radionova? okay you don't like her, but the score is 6 points lower than Worlds. :confused:

Last edited:

boskil

Match Penalty
I think the story the choreography of Med's program is telling is far more complex and requires more range than the little girl in the red coat. Little girl in the red coat from Schindler's List is certainly moving and memorable, but it's somewhat more one-note than Med's program. But Schindler's List is also more accessible to general audiences than the story Averbukh is telling in Med's program.

I didn't care for this program up until Worlds, really. Part of that is my own dumbness, probably, but I also think it took time for Evgenia to learn how to tell this complicated story with her face and her movements effectively. But she learned to do it and now this program just blows me away.
I'd say that Zhenya's program may be more sophisticated and intellectual, but if we talk power of message, impact and the costume(!) Julia's SL is hard to beat.
To be honest, it's very hard to compare the two for me - yes it's similar style, same choreographer, but the skaters and stories they're telling are so much different. :scratch3:

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
15 000 USD to North America
10 000 USD to Europe
7 500 USD to Japan.

Thanks, seems quite fair. And I am glad that skaters will receive some financial appreciation in the end of the long season. Nothing compared with say tennis but, anyway. Elena will be able to keep on bringing new dresses.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I'd say that Zhenya's program may be more sophisticated and intellectual, but if we talk power of message, impact and the costume(!) Julia's SL is hard to beat.
To be honest, it's very hard to compare the two for me - yes it's similar style, same choreographer, but the skaters and stories they're telling are so much different. :scratch3:

SL also had the advantage of being a story that was known around the world and easy to recognize. Compared to that the background of Zhenia's program was unknown and the viewers had to start from scratch to understand it.