2016-17 GPF Free Dance | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Free Dance

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
It is unfortunate that Tessa and Scott's first "Gold" GPF medal has no gold but acrylic...

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Only Olympic bronze to win now!

Nah, that's not a "TITLE". They are aiming to be the first Canadian/North American/non-European/non-Russian two-time Olympic champions in dance after Grishuk and Platov as you know. :) Though they are already legends without further titles.

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist
yes, but to be honest - paradoxically - I think that all these years always something was off at GPF and they became slowly 'obliged' and pressured to get this GPF title which made these 'off' things more prominent, now it's a great time and a right time to to win the title as I feel like they really came back to skate, compete, but not necessarily to win all things, with no major pressure (I know I'm probably rambiling...).

Still not sold on the program itself, but the performance gave me a really deep emotional package to relish, this was just pure, big, exposed emotion wrapped up in the unity of movement and music. The craft of their performance, interpretation and expression abilities is exquisite beyond my imagination - it's really rare to have this kind of range and 'flexibility of adaptation' to showcase so majestically various kind of music, conventions, styles, themes, but still having personality and individual input shining through. Next - the 'symbiosis' between both Tessa and Scott, the continuity of their lines, finishing each other movement, deep connection expressed not only with music and with program, but between themselves - they always manage to create a very private, intimate space in their dance, but at the same time share the experience with audience watching, today was no exception.

I think that for me the best flow in terms of movement today was Shibutanis, but Tessa and Scott really impressed me with the way the program was building with the music and their expression. Everything altogether felt organic, naturally going to the climax, like slowly uncovering layers of their story they wanted to tell.

From technical side what amazed me and surprised a little to be honest, was level of strenght and easiness at the same time of the performance, looking at lifts especially - before Sochi their lifts felt too much on heavy and laboured side for me and messed totally the flow of their programs, but today, I mean Scott just led Tessa so effortlessly, all transitions were so fluid...Antother striking thing for me was level of ice coverage, edge work and lines - their presence is always very 'big' and impactul looking such personalities they are, but re-discovering how 'majestic' their skating is is a great thing.

There goes maturity, all that experience gathered during all these years, the refinement - it all shows now in the brightest way.

I am simply glad I can see such amazing performers, dancers and poised competitors in action again - conratulations for winning your first GPF title, it was a long journey, but a memorable one!:cheer:

Always enjoying and nodding hard reading your review. 100% agree!!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I got the Dahlmer joke and I was going to reply with the word taste - highlighted (you know cannibalism and all) but I cancelled my post.
Mentioning Queen Victoria ... how about an on-ice portrayal of Princess Di being chased by the paparazzi in the French tunnel with her love by her side, the horrendous crash and then the swell of love of her subjects at her demise?
Wasn't there a movie (Naomi Watts???) - what was the soundtrack?
Yes there was a movie with Naomi Watts. There would indeed also be a soundtrack.

You could turn it into an epic double feature for pairs or dance and combine it with The Queen soundtrack and have the male play the Queen. Figure skaters sure do love sound tracks.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Ladies... Just thinking about that thread gives me the icks. It got nasty yesterday. I tried to be distracting with my epically bad ideas about choreography but I don't think it helped. I even made a Jeffery Dahlmer program being in bad taste and I'm not sure the actual joke got accross. either that or people were being all Queen Victoria and were not amused.

I am never Queen Vic with your humour, ancientpeas...I love it and say, bring it!!! To heck with 'em, if they can't take a joke.

MIM

Medalist
I left the IN running the whole medal ceremony and I am spoiled unwantedly.:drama:
Will watch the young guns before the ladies (WAR) begins. ;)

nocturnalis

Medalist
Or maybe the team bronze? Then they'd have A gold, 2 silvers and a bronze. And then they could sweep to the gold in Dance knowing they had a full collection already.

Looking at it right now, it would be disappointing in Canada didn't get team gold. They have Chan, D/R, V/M, and Osmond is on the rise. Russia and US have a men's problem.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Never been bothered with ice dance until seeing P/C's FD at Worlds last year. I would love to see that level of ethereal skating again from P/C. Hopefully they actually bring something close to that kind of skating in the Olympic season. I have heard of V/M before but since I wasn't fan of ice dance I've never really seen anyone of their programs until this season. All I can say is I am not impress.

matcha

Medalist
Last edited:

keasus

On the Ice
I love this sneakily 💩 stirring post. :laugh:

...wow. V/M get their first gold and Shibs get their first GPF medal and it's plastic... What did they do with all the money putting this competition together? No seat back, MS clipart flags and plastic medals. :palmf:

That goes to pay for the lush digs and perks for federation bigwigs. The rest are peasants! Let them eat cake or even worse Twinkies)!

Rissa

Record Breaker
I like the Shibs' SD better. Their FD music is beautiful and they skate very well to it, but P/C has kind of mastered that genre and made it their signature style of music, so every time I see the Shibs skating to this, I just think about how P/C would do it better.

Ineresting point of view: the reason why I much prefer Shibs' program is precisely because I've seen P/C do theirs before and it doesn't impact me anymore. Shibs are different from before and that's why they do have impact on me.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
Right now V/M are beating P/C the way D/W used to beat V/M. On the technical side of things where they aren't as strong. People forget that P/C could make a couple small mistakes and still win against the likes of the Shibs but not against a team like V/M. They are showing why they are one of the all time greats.

No, D/W used to beat V/M on pcs which IMO was questionable. Especially because afterwards the media would report D/W won because they were stronger technically. P/Cs are a fishy category as used today.

sarama

Medalist
Looking at it right now, it would be disappointing in Canada didn't get team gold. They have Chan, D/R, V/M, and Osmond is on the rise. Russia and US have a men's problem.

I've been thinking about it and surely Canada looks like the strongest team: the US has issues with pairs, and Russia with men (but also dance TBH), but in the end I think a lot will depend on the strong skaters of the other countries that could "steal" some points (like Japanese singles and Chinese pairs), and on the strategies for the substitues

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
already wrote on Tessa and Scott, now just want to throw my few small cents for Gabriella and Guillaume and Maia and Alex - first off all, all top 3 FDs stood out and were fabulous for me for different reasons, they may be from 'same'/similar streamline, but what makes them so very unique is who makes them alive for viewer's eyes.

Maia and Alex - I feel like this program is building to the great momentum, it's getting stronger each time I see it, at least in terms of expression and interpretation. The deep thought put in that program, in its construction is very prominent, for me the program feels like 'thoughts, actions, emotions translated into moves'. Each time I'm very impressed by the level of sharpness, detail-orientation/attention and quality of movement they achieve, not loosing performance impact. I get that this is not the most expressive, emotional and 'easy to connect/relate' program,but it is skated also by not very exuberant team, and I really appreciate that they want to present such minimal program is such way. For me, the program is all about being in the point of reflecting onto past looking at present and the fact that they use their pure skating, so clinical approach to portray the story is a very 'bold' statement of their present state and confidence, faith they have in what they're doing for all these years, that's my impression. The best flow in terms of movement today - the continuity of music was perfectly reflected by their fuid movement, sharpness of turns, symmetry of lines. Maia's extensions and back/arm movement are really the best.

Gabriella and Guillaume - today I feel this was a performance almost on level of their usual one: effortless and mesmerizing. They seemed a tad nervous, but they really created a beautiful, expressive feel of the very moment. Their skating is really 'feathery' for me - those little touches, quickness in moving their upper bodies, flow or arm movement. Their expression today was much more improved, more profound, vivid (especially from Gabriella's side) which definitely amped the performance quality. As I wrote in Paris GP thread after FD, I still can't quite connect with that program itself, its 'substance', but maybe there is no such definition of that program,what it stands for? Maybe it's a blank space on which they create something unique, personal maybe and it's up to the viewers to give it a meaning, a story? Maybe they are giving the 'substance' by themselves, by their skating to this music as a material for thought? Maybe it's just a matter of time and a deeper thought put for that program to understand it and appreciate.

To sum up - Tessa and Scott cast a spell with their sensuality and emotional connection, Gabriella and Guillaume painted a beautiful picture by their movement on on ice, like on clean canvas, enabling all watching to interpret that picture in our own, intimate way of feeling, and Maia and Alex created by that dance a 'mirror of memory' and a testimony of their skating history, a 'mirror' in which they can look at themselves, at each other in most mesmerizing way and at the same time they showed that 'mirror' to everyone to look at they evolution, at their journey.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
Silence about Scott Moir mistake on the twizzles. We all saw his face at the end. He knew he made a mistake.
NOPE. Because you commented, I watched. His body VERY briefly threatened to tip a bit off axis in the first set, but if you cover up his body and watch his skates, his skates are twizzling securely with no glitch at all. Check the protocols - if the judges caught that brief flash of a moment, it might impact GOE but definitely not the level.

If I were you I wouldn't get into the face reading business. Particularly not Scott Moir's.

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Interesting dynamic in kiss and cry. Is it just me or do the french coaches not seem too pleased that V/M won over P/C?

Marie-France is actually Canadian and has loved Tessa and Scott since she was competing, so she was definitely happy (I don't mean she favours them, but she definitely doesn't favour P/C over them). Romain is French, so I suppose he could favour P/C, though I personally didn't think he looked disappointed that V/M won.

Gabriella is doing her resting bitchface again on the podium. :laugh:

She and Guillaume were smiling and talking with Tessa and Scott (well mostly Scott was talking, but still) and the vibe seemed fine. I noticed her expression, but it honestly better than at NHK. For now at least the Montreal team dynamic seems fine.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The only title they're missing now is the Canadian Novice one :drama:

There's an interview some time after Sochi where they're being asked about which competitions really stick with them and they say the GPF and Canadian Novice because they never won them. They're joking about maybe having to come back just to get GPF (mission accomplished :thumbsup:) and they're like but we can never go back for that novice one. And Scott's like, well... we could and the interviewer is agreeing with him and Tessa's just like, No. No. So funny.

NOPE. Because you commented, I watched. His body VERY briefly threatened to tip a bit off axis in the first set, but if you cover up his body and watch his skates, his skates are twizzling securely with no glitch at all. Check the protocols - if the judges caught that brief flash of a moment, it might impact GOE but definitely not the level.

If I were you I wouldn't get into the face reading business. Particularly not Scott Moir's.

Exactly. Scott makes so many faces. Trying to understand them is futile. He always looks incredibly pained as he reads their scores, but swears that's just his concentrating face.