2017 World Ladies SP | Page 113 | Golden Skate

2017 World Ladies SP

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I just watched the top 8.

Call me crazy, but I think Medvedeva and Osmond should be closer together. Medvedeva's program is more lyrical, has more intricate choreography, harder transitions, and better spins. She also has the arm variations on the triple-triple. I think Kaetlyn Osmond has better height and distance on her jumps and better speed. And, although I still think she's getting help from the music, Kaetlyn really seems to embody the character she's trying to portray. It feels authentic. I'd have Medvedeva around 77.5 or 78 for what she did today. Osmond's score actually seems about right given how she's been scored previously.

The next 4 skaters are where things get messy to me. Daleman was overscored (should be around 71). She has great height and distance on her jumps, good speed, and she's a competent spinner. But there isn't much going on with the rest of her program, and what she is doing feels boring and repetitive to me. Pogorilaya was underscored. Anna might have been less spectacular on the combo, but she still did her jumps well and her performance quality is way better than Daleman's. I'd have Pogo at about 73.5. Daleman should be no higher than 71.

I'd have Medvedeva and Osmond closer, too. They are great at completely different things, but excel in both the technical execution and presentation. To me, both should be rewarded roughly equally for the things they do well. I'd probably be more disappointed about the margin if I thought Kaetlyn (or anyone else) was a legitimate threat for gold.

I actually enjoyed Gabrielle more than I ever have. The great execution of the jumps lifted the entire performance IMO. Anna performed well but her jumps were not as good as they could be, particularly the flow on the landings. As for Ashley, watching her skate alongside the best women in the world, I can see how lacking her technical elements are. I wouldn't have her even with Gabrielle; this is an athletic competition, and an "artistic" edge shouldn't get you ahead of a vastly superior technician.

Zora

On the Ice
Love Evgenia's ethusiasm and technical abilities but how exactly did she get 36.91 for PCS?

Yuna recieved 33.80 PCS for her legendary 2010 BOND SP

Seeing both performances back to back, I'm actually curious what would happen to Evgenia's 3-3 combination if she did like 7, 8 crossovers before to gain speed like Yuna used to do. Maybe she would jump as high as Yuna did. But then people would complain that she is doing too many crossovers. :biggrin:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Evgenia's PCS is out of control, but she is consistent and the judges have no choice but to either score her the same or increase the score the next time out.

That makes no sense at all. Of course they have a choice. They simply choose to make the WRONG choice.

IceSlayage

Match Penalty
Seeing both performances back to back, I'm actually curious what would happen to Evgenia's 3-3 combination if she did like 7, 8 crossovers before to gain speed like Yuna used to do. Maybe she would jump as high as Yuna did. But then people would complain that she is doing too many crossovers. :biggrin:

You see for some odd reason I never had an issue with Yuna's crossovers. She always timed them perfectly with the music giving off this anticipation vibe before she flies into her 3Ltz-3T which MORE than paid off for her crossovers. Her jumps were soft, fast, and most importantly effortless. Evgenia is a great jumper but you can tell they are muscled. She doesn't have the lovely running edge out of the jump and lacks the ballet posture creating a slightly messy jump. Yuna's jumps were tight, compact, powerful YET graceful and fluid as if shes flowing on the ice. I've also noticed that Evgenia plows the ice really hard whereas yuna plucks the ice with her toepick very lightly and springs straight into the air. Evgenia seriously needs to lay off the tano which makes the jump really messy sometimes.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Thing is, the judges have judged themselves into a corner, they now cannot seem to be able to get out of. They probably realized that this is not the way to go. I was very surprised that Evgenia didn't crack 80, and I'm very sure Evgenia and her team too. Look at their faces. But this was absolutely correct, she doesn't get better and better with every competition. That was ridiculous judging in the past. I'm positive she will hit 150 in the long though. It's just the SP that gives other skaters the illusion that they can compete.

IceSlayage

Match Penalty
Thing is, the judges have judged themselves into a corner, they now cannot seem to be able to get out of. They probably realized that this is not the way to go. I was very surprised that Evgenia didn't crack 80, and I'm very sure Evgenia and her team too. Look at their faces. But this was absolutely correct, she doesn't get better and better with every competition. That was ridiculous judging in the past. I'm positive she will hit 150 in the long though. It's just the SP that gives other skaters the illusion that they can compete.

Wow how sad of state ISU judging is currently in. I feel SOOO bad for the skaters currently competing. Especially Wagner at this competition. The judges literally amputated her PCS. My brother who never watches figure skating was expecting Wagner to be way ahead of Evgenia just in terms of a non-figure skating fan standpoint.

jkun

Final Flight
Evgenia's PCS is legitimately insane. . She has the edge on choreo/music interpretation/composition, but Katelyn clearly has better SS and performance...

I did really enjoy her new rippon 3T on her combo though. I looked at the score sheet before and was getting ready to comment about how the judges rated Katelyn and Evgenia's 3F-3T with the same GOE, but I won't because the rippon 3T was a very nice touch and much more aesthetically pleasing than a tano.

To the comment about Yuna and her crossovers and speed. If Evgenia could jump into her jump with as much speed and control exposivity as Yuna could, she would be doing it. Katelyn has good speed and has learned to control her explosive jumps which is currently making her stand out of the current field, which lacks big jumpers. Evgenia stands out for consistency and her arm variations. I feel kind of bad for her actually because I think she is going to get a rude greeting in korea next year for no reason.

jkun

Final Flight
I would not call Medvedeva's jumps small. They're not that big / huge as with Daleman or Osmond but still above average for triples. I have to give her credit - they are better than let's say in late 2015. I find Osmond jumps more aesthetically appealing.

I agree with you. Evgenia's jumps are definitely not on the small side. But I do think they are problematic in the way she creates height, which is really a commentary on the Tubteridze camp overall. She winds up her toe jumps like no other. Which really shows itself in the 3F-3T, 3S-3T, and ESPECIALLY in her 2A-2T-2T. She makes that easy combo look like a marathon. Also she has a substantial hammer-toe. Osmond is definitely the most pleasing jumper in the field right now.

IceSlayage

Match Penalty
I agree with you. Evgenia's jumps are definitely not on the small side. But I do think they are problematic in the way she creates height, which is really a commentary on the Tubteridze camp overall. She winds up her toe jumps like no other. Which really shows itself in the 3F-3T, 3S-3T, and ESPECIALLY in her 2A-2T-2T. She makes that easy combo look like a marathon. Also she has a substantial hammer-toe. Osmond is definitely the most pleasing jumper in the field right now.

OMG that is what is called!! Hammer-toe! Thank you for that!!! I have also noticed that she winds up really hard. Her 2A-2T-2T is pretty damn uncomfortable to watch to be honest. It feels like any minute she is going to 2-foot the 2T like Adelina's horrid jump in her "gold" sochi FP.

Last edited:

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
You see for some odd reason I never had an issue with Yuna's crossovers.

Only for Yuna such a comment would be made today. So puzzling. Timing crossovers with the music doesn't make them better. Would you ever defend someone who said that somehow they never have a problem with Shoma's crossovers because he times them well with the music (he does)? Goldenskate complains all the time about Crossovers. When Evgenia got the world record last year I rewatched yuna ' s 2010 fs. And I almost got bored. It was obviously simpler and easier and I agreed with Evgenia ' s WR. In my opinion what Evgenia does with her feet is more exciting than gaining a few centimetres on the height of a jump

IceSlayage

Match Penalty
Only for Yuna such a comment would be made today. So puzzling. Timing crossovers with the music doesn't make them better. Would you ever defend someone who said that somehow they never have a problem with Shoma's crossovers because he times them well with the music (he does)? Goldenskate complains all the time about Crossovers. When Evgenia got the world record last year I rewatched yuna ' s 2010 fs. And I almost got bored. It was obviously simpler and easier and I agreed with Evgenia ' s WR. In my opinion what Evgenia does with her feet is more exciting than gaining a few centimetres on the height of a jump

As I said Yuna's jump more than pays off for the cross over. If you are bored of Yuna that is fine with me. That is your opinion. No need to get violent. I prefer Yuna's huge jumps. If you think Evgenia is a better jumper and artistic skater then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
EDIT: Lol what...You agreed with Evgenia's WR? I mean she deserved the gold but do you really think she deserved that high of a score? Lol what is next? You believe her 2A should have been marked as a 5A?

Last edited:

OniBan

Final Flight
I find it seriously hilarious when people say skaters 'don't have incentive to be better when they receive high scores all the time.'
These are athletes. Every competition to them is akin to a battlefield. Even if they have no worthy opponents left they'd still try to top themselves. That's why they're athletes!
No incentive. ...psh

Art&Sport

Medalist
Scores out-the-roof are unhelpful for the sport as a whole IMO. It's not about incentive either -- it's about the scores being so often out-of-whack ridiculous. Medvedeva is definitely a tough competitor but the judges make her untouchable with their over-scoring. Med was held up a bit last year with her mistake in the sp.

Zhenia's detractors are relentless :laugh:

I'm sure you're trying your best. :cheer:

Nope, the judges are relentless in overdoing the PCS for Medvedeva, for Sotskova, and for Zabijako/Enbert too! Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Enjoy who you enjoy, and I will continue with my two cents critiques, just like everyone else and their brother, mother, father, sister, whole shebang. :peace:

Last edited:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Sometimes when I read the after-event thread posts it makes me kinda relieved I wasn't here for Sochi 2014 after-event discussions :laugh: