2017 Worlds Men's FS | Page 83 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men's FS

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Sympathies towards Javi.

The reality now is that you need to at least plan 4 Quads and not fall on at least 3 of them in your FS to safely remain within reach of the podium.

Despite Javier's planned layout, he still could've had the chance to podium had he skated clean or at least clean-ish on his FS (with PCS and GOEs he could've placed higher than Boyang or even Shoma). But didn't work out this time and he was magnanimous in defeat. Good luck to him next season. :hap10:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Gorgeous skating.

This music is perfect for a 90s soap opera montage of a deceased loved one though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just stumbled out on this comment about Patrick's "The Journey", you cracked me up, gravy! Rotfl.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yes, because Shoma Uno (Japan's #1 skater, not #2, when JSF is concerned) is quite over-scored, on both the GOE and the PCS. That's why those points are there. At the same time, Yuzuru was held down in both the GOEs and PCS to make room for Uno (and Javier). It is absolutely ridiculous when you compare the quality of their jumps and the scores they were given, and quite obvious. This matters when we have all these top skaters, as the margins of victory are often small in the end.

Shoma also got away with a not called UR again. He did that 4F right in front of my section, and it was so obvious... I so wanted to punch something, because it was also obvious it wouldn't get called.
Buttom line: Yuzu should have had beaten Shoma on TES overall.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Shoma also got away with a not called UR again. He did that 4F right in front of my section, and it was so obvious... I so wanted to punch something, because it was also obvious it wouldn't get called.
Buttom line: Yuzu should have had beaten Shoma on TES overall.

Ha, nothing we haven't seen before ah? It really is infuriating.

Also how are you alive? :laugh: :ghug:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Honestly, judging in this men competition was quite good, not at all perfect, still there should not be major complains, especially regarding the winners. I was so much afraid judges would help Chan with huge PCS to pass Boyang. I would have been OK with Patrick on the podium only if his TES would have been 100 or more with a clean program.
So, I was so happy when I realized the judges shared my views, at least partially.
There are some questions, about Kevin and his low PCS. I think Reynolds should get PCS similar with Nathan Chen. It doesn't happen. With higher PCS Canada would have had 3 positions in men. Apparently, the judges were too busy saving other countries, and had no reason to think about Canadian skaters.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also: Kovtun's PCS still makes me want to punch stuff.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Ha, nothing we haven't seen before ah? It really is infuriating.

Also how are you alive? :laugh: :ghug:

I will still be annoyed with that even if it's the 100th time it happens :dev2:

I am a very talkative ghost? :biggrin::ghug: my head has not realized stuff yet. I think it will, when Yuzu gets announced as the gold medalist tomorrow in the gala!:love:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
it's not exclusive found in japan... plus the first one was landed in canada :) (by yuzu at ACI)... a quad loop has yet to be landed in japan's nationals but was landed at canadian nationals ;) finally, kevin reynolds, oh look another canadian attempted the quad loop many in 2013.... without much success... but if i am not mistaken, he would have been the first to attempt it ;)

but of course, there is no denying that yuzu and shoma are quad loop kings :)

Nicolas Nadeau had a 4L at the nationals. He did it before Yuzuru, but because of injury he could not show it in competition at that time.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I will still be annoyed with that even if it's the 100th time it happens :dev2:

I am a very talkative ghost? :biggrin::ghug: my head has not realized stuff yet. I think it will, when Yuzu gets announced as the gold medalist tomorrow in the gala!:love:

Yes, we both will be!!

Hahaha, I am so happy you were there. BTW he skates last, not sure if you guys saw that there! :biggrin:

DiamondDust

Final Flight

I just close my eyes now when this happen :slink: (in the hope of course that Shoma will eventually fix it :thumbsup: )

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Group 2:
Besseghier - Hendrickx also had a heart on his costume. A lot of pain in France and Belgium the last two years - couldn't help being reminded of that.
Ge - Can't appreciate it. Pretentious and empty to me.
Brezina - I thought at the beginning, What if he goes clean? So, anyway.
Vasiljevs - Passion, grace, beauty, innovation.
Kerry - First time I've really enjoyed him. I admit to smiling. I think the Finnish door holder lady really felt the same as me on this one. I kept worrying he would get caught in his beads though.
Majorov - Did he go back to an old program? I was mentally preparing for a song sung by Scandinavian chipmunks on shrooms with backing vocals by glimmering locusts, and gnomes doing hand choreography. Or am I wrong?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

edkwok

Spectator
I was lucky enough to see the event live in Helsinki and I can tell you that in the FS, Yuzu was on a totally higher level than all the others. Please realise that a figure skating performance looks a lot different live than it does on youtube and judges do not look at youtube. Yuzu was underscored and Shoma was overscored but the final placings are agreeable and the judging for the entire championships has been exceptionally good.

I read some comments about Boyang's performance. In both the SP and the FS, Boyang had complete command of the arena and captivated the audience from start to finish. A standing ovation does not lie. Those who say he is all jumps simply have never seen him skate live.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
In her defense. The lady knows less about figure skating than my neighbour's dog.

Polish Eurosport commentator made remark during Ladies Free Skate that no woman landed Triple Axel this season, what an ignoramus. He also at least 4 times called Tursynbaeva "ta mała dziewczynka" in Polish it means "this little girl" instead of commenting her skating and kept nagging some BS about Hongo's Riverdance not fitting in style to her or similar trash. I sometimes wonder what are these people paid for? But he's the only one from those commentating Figure Skating that is bad on Polish Eurosport fortunately. He mostly commentates Equestrian Sports though.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Kerry - First time I've really enjoyed him. I admit to smiling. I think the Finnish door holder lady really felt the same as me on this one. I kept worrying he would get caught in his beads though.

*indignant expression*

I was worried about the lace on his shirt too. He's had a lot of problems with that this season. I thought they stitched it down after the problems at SkAm but I guess not.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
*indignant expression*

I was worried about the lace on his shirt too. He's had a lot of problems with that this season. I thought they stitched it down after the problems at SkAm but I guess not.
He was lovely. As a performer, I know what a head trip a costume piece out of place can be, but he was 100% in the zone. Respect.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He was lovely. As a performer, I know what a head trip a costume piece out of place can be, but he was 100% in the zone. Respect.

The British Eurosport commentators mentioned this also, that he didn't let it distract him. I am so proud of him. Three years ago, he would have let that string throw him off, or the stumble on the quad; but more and more he is looking unflappable. By Jackie Wong's comment, it sounds like he has been having an awful week in practice, but he is Aussie through and through: when the going gets tough, he knuckles down and gets it done. *beaming*