Ice Dance OGM Contenders 2018 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance OGM Contenders 2018

Mattieu

Medalist
Bobrova has been having a mini mental breakdown regarding SD music for at least two months, its finally been resolved. She seems a bit tense lately in her instagram posts, I call this the Katsalapov effect. Deputat hinted slyly on her instagram what she could do to him, haha.

ooh tell me more about what Deputat hinted? :popcorn:

Mattieu

Medalist
S/B could actually just leap frog them both due to the absence of DRAMA. :hslap: Please Loboda and Drozd, bring it. And yes Elena, please pretty please get yourself a new partner. Gracias.

Yea, if S/B can make programs like the smoking black and white photos they done recently, they could easily be No. 1 in Russia.
I think Zhulin spreading himself too thin with 2 top Russian teams and the Spanish team. I fear it will all be very mediocre.
I also heard reliable rumours that the problems S/K had in the US are still problem. So hoping Zhulin is not bitten off more than he could chew.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Yea, if S/B can make programs like the smoking black and white photos they done recently, they could easily be No. 1 in Russia.
I think Zhulin spreading himself too thin with 2 top Russian teams and the Spanish team. I fear it will all be very mediocre.
I also heard reliable rumours that the problems S/K had in the US are still problem. So hoping Zhulin is not bitten off more than he could chew.

That's really sort of sad. But B/S better dig deep if they want to have a decent showing next season.

Mattieu

Medalist
That's really sort of sad. But B/S better dig deep if they want to have a decent showing next season.

I fear it will be the same old dramatic stuff.
I hope the Russian fed tells them to go back to Anna Karenina for the Olympics, that was a good FD

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think you are putting words in Rossig's mouth. Rossig never said anything remotely like "it was OK when it was Davis and White and v/m on the top two steps, with the shibs not far behind." In fact, Rossig said the opposite, that it is not good when all the top teams come from the same camp.

I didn't say Rossig personally said that (and that's why I used the impersonal pronouns) .... I just haven't noticed (maybe i missed them?) as many complaints about marina's school as we keep seeing here about Montreal's... some people even call Dubreuil and Lauzon's school "Montreal mush" now back to the point I was making : history proves it absolutely normal.... and that's really the core of my argument.

great era of classical music (classical period Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and so many others) Vienna

great time of painting in Italian high renaissance (Vinci, Raphael, Michelangelo and many others all worked in) Florence...

in sports we could think about the strength of Hungarian swimmers for instance, such a small country, such a dominance.... or Romanian gymnastics, Norwegian ski ?

I could go on and on... I think that we are witnessing something historical in the sport of Ice dance, it happens to be in Montreal and it happens that three teams from there are contenders... so my answer was mostly in the sense that, well it's normal, great resources have brought talented teams in one place, and they have been mentored in a creative way, have been prepared for competition very well, and are blooming now.

In other words : athletes, artists and intellectuals want to join to explore how far they can develop when working in the best environment. If that means they have to move to another city or country to achieve that, kudos to them to make the sacrifices they are making... as they understand the value of what they are getting.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I fear it will be the same old dramatic stuff.
I hope the Russian fed tells them to go back to Anna Karenina for the Olympics, that was a good FD

Never been a fan of repeating FDs but I would definitely make an exception for this one :love: and they would be the only one skating to this king of music, they should do that if they want to stand out.

Mattieu

Medalist
Never been a fan of repeating FDs but I would definitely make an exception for this one :love: and they would be the only one skating to this king of music, they should do that if they want to stand out.

Yea, and it wouldn't be the first time they have had to change their FD, RIP birds FD

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
It could just happen. Zhulin just finalized the SD for B/S, S/K's was done I believe before they went on vacation. B/S still haven't finished their FD. What? The Shibs have already shown theirs. V/M look to be on fire. Why did B/S go to team trophy?
They got some money but they lost time and performed poorly. Bobrova has been having a mini mental breakdown regarding SD music for at least two months, its finally been resolved. She seems a bit tense lately in her instagram posts, I call this the Katsalapov effect. Deputat hinted slyly on her instagram what she could do to him, haha. The Shibs just ignored him and went about working often outside of their rink. I really hope that things are going smoother than they appear. Ridiculous. S/B could actually just leap frog them both due to the absence of DRAMA. :hslap: Please Loboda and Drozd, bring it. And yes Elena, please pretty please get yourself a new partner. Gracias.

In terms of preparing for the upcoming season, never compare any teams to the Shibs, they haven't stop since Worlds :laugh: Their schedule is crazy and they said that they want to train to the max until february... they won't stop unless they die from exhaustion.
When I look at people's instagram, I see that everybody (even the lower ranked teams) are pumped up, everybody wants to go to the Games. But this is wheen your training place matters : it doesn't matter if you're favourite to win, or a country's lowest place, if you train in Gadbois you get the same amount of time as every team, it's extremely organized.
Everything that I hear about Zhulin makes me wonder... I hope it's not true. He has 2 big russians team and one spanish team that he has to qualify for the Olys. This is a lot for sure, but he agreed to train S/K so he has to take his responsabilities. And B/S have been through a lot, I really want them to go.
You're right though : S/B might benefit from their situation being the only well ranked senior team (I guess) in their training center. They seem really drama-free and more focused. It's better to stay with a less-known coach and get the results than going to the jungle and jeopardize your season.

Barb

Record Breaker
I didn't say Rossig personally said that (and that's why I used the impersonal pronouns) .... I just haven't noticed (maybe i missed them?) as many complaints about marina's school as we keep seeing here about Montreal's... some people even call Dubreuil and Lauzon's school "Montreal mush" now back to the point I was making : history proves it absolutely normal.... and that's really the core of my argument.

But where were you? Of course there were many complaints, and that even with V / M and D / W having completely different styles.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
It could just happen. Zhulin just finalized the SD for B/S, S/K's was done I believe before they went on vacation. B/S still haven't finished their FD. What? The Shibs have already shown theirs. V/M look to be on fire. Why did B/S go to team trophy?
They got some money but they lost time and performed poorly. Bobrova has been having a mini mental breakdown regarding SD music for at least two months, its finally been resolved. She seems a bit tense lately in her instagram posts, I call this the Katsalapov effect. Deputat hinted slyly on her instagram what she could do to him, haha. The Shibs just ignored him and went about working often outside of their rink. I really hope that things are going smoother than they appear. Ridiculous. S/B could actually just leap frog them both due to the absence of DRAMA. :hslap: Please Loboda and Drozd, bring it. And yes Elena, please pretty please get yourself a new partner. Gracias.

:laugh2:

As far as I know, things in Zhulin's group are perfectly fine. Dima and Nikita are even somewhat friends now.

Mattieu

Medalist
:laugh2:

As far as I know, things in Zhulin's group are perfectly fine. Dima and Nikita are even somewhat friends now.

My sources say Dima and Nikita were always superficially friends, it is more Katya that has the problem with Nikita.
She is not happy he is there.

bramweld

Record Breaker
My sources say Dima and Nikita were always superficially friends, it is more Katya that has the problem with Nikita.
She is not happy he is there.

I hope she takes it in stride and does her thing because when she gets nervous B/S really look sloppy. There's no time for that.

sarama

Medalist
If you count P/C and V/M out for bronze you have Shibs, Weapo, Chock/Bates, Hubbell/Donohue, Bobrova/Soloviev and Cappellini/Lanotte already. Reality : this is from the 1st to the 8th place... :slink:

But the teams you mention are very close in terms of point and (if we take Worlds as a reference) very far from V/M and P/C, so I would be shocked, but not too much, to see someone like Gilles/Poirier or Stepanova/Bukin to suddenly score just enough more to be in the mix and then get that bronze medal.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
But the teams you mention are very close in terms of point and (if we take Worlds as a reference) very far from V/M and P/C, so I would be shocked, but not too much, to see someone like Gilles/Poirier or Stepanova/Bukin to suddenly score just enough more to be in the mix and then get that bronze medal.

I think it's quite the reach saying that S/B or G/P would be in the mix for the bronze. They'd need a lot more than scoring like these six teams, they'd have to score over ALL of them.

Stranger things have happened, though.

Mattieu

Medalist
I think it's quite the reach saying that S/B or G/P would be in the mix for the bronze. They'd need a lot more than scoring like these six teams, they'd have to score over ALL of them.

Stranger things have happened, though.

Yea, though it would be a very strange thing for either S/B or G/P to win an Olympic medal more likely H/D or as I keep saying someone who isn't even in the running now. The Olympic season can sometimes give some real surprises.

sarama

Medalist
Yea, though it would be a very strange thing for either S/B or G/P to win an Olympic medal more likely H/D or as I keep saying someone who isn't even in the running now. The Olympic season can sometimes give some real surprises.

Personally the previous summer I didn't think Elena and Nikita would medal in Sochi, and yet they did, so who knows what will happen. Especially without seeing the programs it's tough to say. Secretly though I would love for a younger American team to rise and go to the Olympics. They probably wouldn't challenge for a medal, but I hate the fact that there is so much talent left in the shadows. The reality is that neither V/M or P/C would be were they are now if they had been left stagnating in Juniors or Senior Bs.

i wasn't on this forum ;) i guess ;)

As I recall, there wasn't much complaining that both of the top teams trained with Marina, per se. There was a little grousing that Marina's teams automatically had an advantage because of Zueva's supposed political pull, or something like that.

But the main anguish was that Zueva, having concentrated on Virtue and Moir for 2010, more or less abandoned them in favor of Davis and White for 2014. (If you compare the 2010 Maher program with what she gave them for 2014, you can sort of see the point.)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As I recall, there wasn't much complaining that both both of the top teams trained with Marina, per se. There was a little grousing that Marina's teams automatically had an advantage because of Zueva's supposed political pull, or something like that.

But the main anguish was that Zueva, having concentrated on Virtue and Moir for 2010, more or less abandoned them in favor of Davis and White for 2014. (If you compare the 2010 Maher program with what she gave them for 2014, you can sort of see the point.)
yup... i can see that and i saw some bits of the "reality" tv show... so when I saw the "seasons" versus an obvious and powerful russian warhorse for dw... then... yeah... got it...
:(