2017 GPF Ladies FS | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Ladies FS

Seruleane

Final Flight
To be honest, I believe the general consensus is that Japanese skaters get underscored... in every competition.

Yes, I don't understand this. People have said the JSF doesn't politick for their skaters, but I don't understand why they wouldn't. If I were a Japanese fan, I'd be seriously pissed off, esp since it's their country's fans that fund most of figure skating anyway. The fact that Caro is getting huge PCS for her imperfect programs, and Mao never got that PCS boost from the judges, just makes me mad, and I don't even consider myself a Mao fan.

The gang that would be throwing a party seems to not have arrived yet. Me, I just want to see correct tech calls. I love Satoko's program and her artistry.

Yup, I think most of us here appreciate Satako's artistry/skating skills and while she needs to get the UR calls more consistently, her PCS should be Caro-level IMO. She was robbed in the FS, and Wakaba was robbed in the SP. I'd like to think the judges would have rewarded Wakaba if she skated her amazing FS cleanly, but I highly doubt it.

I guess Japan doesn't really need the 3 spots, seeing as the judges will make sure their ladies finish off the podium anyway. :disapp:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
That dress was everything :dbana:

I always think the dead banana emoji means that something is bad. Are people actually using it for "it slays me"? Have I been reading the cues all wrong? What is the true meaning of the dead banana emoji?

Sabrina

Record Breaker
What I am bothered about is how on earth was Caro placed 3rd in the LP. I have a feeling all the other 5 skaters would do equally great with no 3-3, no 3Lz. The GOE Caro gets is beyond any truth. Yes she has beautiful skating, still, spins and steps were not at the same level with the rest of skaters. In the free I'd put both Kaetlyn and Satoko ahead. Both had problems, still, there is much more good things in those programs if compared.

Shoma One

Rinkside
My God, to what low level artistically has arrived in the female figure skating, what a soporific thing! I had to take a pill to not fall asleep watching this sporting show so depressing !!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always think the dead banana emoji means that something is bad. Are people actually using it for "it slays me"? Have I been reading the cues all wrong? What is the true meaning of the dead banana emoji?

I use it to mean “I’m dead”

:laugh15::shame:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
She was scoring higher in PCS than Yuna (at Sochi), so judges have already decided she is better in some aspects... and she is the only one individual olympic medalist in the current field, so that should tell you a lot...

Correction: Figure skating scoing is only as credible as the judging makeup AT that event. If the make up is not credible, the results shouldn't be credible either.

European majority judges in Russia is basically European slant x 200% like at Sochi (Japan, and Canada was the only none Europeans at the FS)
. Tech panel there was also 100% European lead by a Russia skating federation Vice President, where wrong calls were 'conviniently' made. Talk about conflict of interests!!!! That panel makeup was ripe for slanting.

It will be interesting to see if this is what happens in Pyeongchang.

I don't know why people are complaining about Kostner but not complaining about others. If judges inflate her, they will have no choice but to inflate others.. perhaps arguable it was the reason for the inflation overall. That is why in prep for Sochi, they need a marker. She will continued to be kept high until Europeans Championship, so they can inflate Russian skaters more.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
If they would consistently send her that message, nothing would be wrong. But one competition it's "You're the best" and the next is "Sorry, not even Top 5 material." I think that's the frustrating thing. If Satoko had skated at Skate Canada instead of Skate America (and that has nothing to to with who else was there) do you think she would have won or even cracked the top three? Probably not.

It's frustrating that the message wasn't even consistent within this one competition.

She was hosed in the PCS today.

She is not being able to be competitive, she is held up by judges.
Look at her GOE and please tell me which 5-6 checkboxes on her jumps are checked for a +3.
She is getting unreasonable PCs for flawed performances too (see for example when Mao came back, was she getting 70+ for 5 triples? And Mao was at least trying)
I love Carolina's mature, polished skating and those step sequences were to die for. But as a Mao fan too, it's sad realizing how her Sochi FS scored only one point more than Caro's 5-triple FS here. :slink:

halulupu

Final Flight
I love Carolina's mature, polished skating and those step sequences were to die for. But as a Mao fan too, it's sad realizing how her Sochi FS scored only one point more than Caro's 5-triple FS here. :slink:[/QUOTE]

its no valid argument. we are now 4 years later in a totally new level of inflation/scoring. everyone is scored higher than he/she would be 4 ago. you could also argue that carolinas sotschi fp was only few points better scored than todays perfomance, while it was technically and probably also artistiacally (much) better

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It's frustrating that the message wasn't even consistent within this one competition.

Very true. I think the judges have a meeting after events, don't they? Because this is something that they need to talk about. After Satoko finished, I'm pretty sure most of us, and her and her team included, thought she got a medal. She was even close to Alina in the TES box, the thought of her winning it even crossed my mind. And then she ends up fifth! I don't disagree with that result personally, but the fact that one could not see it coming is worrying. And it is something that has been weaving itself throughout Satoko's career. Rika Hongo is a japanese skater that has been treated extremely harshly in that regard. There was never the benefit of doubt for her. Why? This 'will they, won't they' is just unfair to Satoko. Depending on the judging panel she can almost challenge Medvedeva for Gold or be 8th, if she's lucky.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
My God, to what low level artistically has arrived in the female figure skating, what a soporific thing! I had to take a pill to not fall asleep watching this sporting show so depressing !!

Just switch to female juniors. 4Sal, 3A - all the fun is there now. Also, quote from there
Welcome to the new era, when with a clean 7-triples program you won't even be on the podium IN JUNIORS
:agree:

Also, as Ted said, in all female JGPF event (sp+fp) there were only 2 (two) mistakes (one pop and one fall), all other elements were done with + GOE. This is historical achievement, I am sure. I even begin to wonder if figure skating is meant to be kiddy sport after all.. despite what others said here against it. I mean such easy skating is not possible for seniors ever.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Very true. I think the judges have a meeting after events, don't they? Because this is something that they need to talk about. After Satoko finished, I'm pretty sure most of us, and her and her team included, thought she got a medal. She was even close to Alina in the TES box, the thought of her winning it even crossed my mind. And then she ends up fifth! I don't disagree with that result personally, but the fact that one could not see it coming is worrying. And it is something that has been weaving itself throughout Satoko's career. Rika Hongo is a japanese skater that has been treated extremely harshly in that regard. There was never the benefit of doubt for her. Why? This 'will they, won't they' is just unfair to Satoko. Depending on the judging panel she can almost challenge Medvedeva for Gold or be 8th, if she's lucky.

It's even more unfair on other skaters who rotate their jumps but place behind Satoko when her URs are not called.

Aino

Rinkside
It seems obvious that Evgenia (if healthy) and Alina are fighting for oly gold and the rest are fighting for bronze and that could be anyone (although not probably Maria). So the battle is for oly bronze! I think it wasn't this clear before the last olympics. What a boring scenario...

chloepoco

Medalist
And to all those who were screaming JSF corruption; and there were several in the SP thread (maybe not using the term “corruption”, but basically saying they were corrupt), what say you now?

Nika09

On the Ice
Congratulations for all ladies, and good job Alina!

Also congratulations for everyone who was worried about Miyahara's scores. It's all about jumping again, so everything is okay now. Poor girl, she handled it well when results was up though. Better than Simon and Chris, obviously.

As for Wakaba. I wasn't surprised with her performance at all. Actually I was expecting something like that, more or less. Last year she was very good in CS, in GP's too and then similar situation, as we saw today, happened in 4cc and World's. But still it wasn't disastrous as in Mens event for example, only few costly mistakes. She just looked very excited during the long program today, too much I would say.

Good luck for the next time and it's Nationals I guess, which's gonna be something else.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Goodness but I'm not a fan of backloading the program. Not only because it's just naturally unbalanced, but because the lack of interesting choreography (and funky "ballet moves") is just off putting. :no:

qwertyskates

Medalist
I'm astonished at comments about the lack of artistry, etc. of Alina. Just her hands alone had their own choreography. Fortunately, ballets do not take too well to Averbukh's style of hand miming, book reading, pencil scribing, heart squeezing, head-clutching, etc. Her Ina Bauer was special because of that same flirty flick she used at the halfway point, her 3F landing looked operatic because of the way the hands were pointing, in the SP they were wings with their own disjointed bird like isolation movements, not to mention the tanos, rippons, etc. It's exactly how ballets are so expressive down to the finger tips, telling their own story.:luv17:

With most skaters we're lucky if they keep to a decent port de bras.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It seems obvious that Evgenia (if healthy) and Alina are fighting for oly gold and the rest are fighting for bronze and that could be anyone (although not probably Maria). So the battle is for oly bronze! I think it wasn't this clear before the last olympics. What a boring scenario...

Boring but less boring than if there was no Alina (as much as I think they overscore her too). At least this way you don't have a sure-thing feeling before Olympics as
far as OGM goes - assuming Evgenia is fit again like in the past. There is the suspense factor finally. That having said I am going to root for Zhenya in their imminent clashes to come.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
This event was underwhelming after the juniors. Maria Sotskova is the only one who showed her A+ game. And her silver is well deserved. I wonder if someone could predict it in the prediction game...hardly.

Alina's GPF DQ is the one I won't rewatch. Where are spot on jumps hitting at the right time? I would not argue about the score - everyone was overscored here but Maria and Satoko. I just know she can be much better than this. But now that we don't know if Medvedeva manages to fully recover we have a clear OGM favorite.

Osmond was very convincing at the beginning of her Black swan program. One cannot deny her power. But then, well, may be she can make a clean FP at the Olympics for a change.

I am done with Caro. I liked her skating at Sochi. She was my second favorite after Yulia. I've been trying to convince myself for quite a while and finally I gave up. I don't enjoy her programs. I find her skating very outdated and boring and Caro herself very overscored. In fact Maria's style is very similar. Funny how many people name Sotskova programs boring and no one dares to say the same about Caro. I do.

Satoko is Satoko. That's the problem. She has good days when tech panel neglects the low quality of her jumps. That's how she got ahead of perfect Pogo during the last year GPF. She has bad days when tech people suddenly come to senses and give her carrots. It's unfair to Satoko and to her competitors I would think.

Wakaba, sigh. She was very good at the beginning. Then the crowd started the applause. This might be the reason or something else. But after mistakes her skating was the shadow of what she is capable of...

underwhelming event for me. As they say, miss Evgeniya.

colormyworld240

Medalist
You need to try harder, Don Quichotte is indeed a Ballet and her dress a tutu.

More luck next time little Troll.

She is portraying Kitri, who is a child. There is nothing sexy about that. And yes her dress a tutu, it is common for everyone in ballet and is not revealing. Kitri is a child who is exuberant, intelligent, but also innocent. This program is not about her beauty. Maybe you should get educated in the ballet before you make your ignorant comments.

madison

Record Breaker
I'm astonished at comments about the lack of artistry, etc. of Alina. Just her hands alone had their own choreography. Fortunately, ballets do not take too well to Averbukh's style of hand miming, book reading, pencil scribing, heart squeezing, head-clutching, etc. Her Ina Bauer was special because of that same flirty flick she used at the halfway point, her 3F landing looked operatic because of the way the hands were pointing, in the SP they were wings with their own disjointed bird like isolation movements, not to mention the tanos, rippons, etc. It's exactly how ballets are so expressive down to the finger tips, telling their own story.:luv17:

With most skaters we're lucky if they keep to a decent port de bras.
And don't forget open mouth all over the program lol....