2018 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies Free Skate | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies Free Skate

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I for one thoroughly enjoyed this ladies competition. Mae made me cry when she was sitting in the kiss and cry (what a happy skater, wonderful to see, and she did so well), Zhenya made me laugh when she made those signs to her coaches - I love a bit of relativism at this stage of the season - and I adored her dress. I'm biased on the dress as I wear red dresses often myself. And Bradie? What an improvement! No childish programme this season, excellent. So what that I would have preferred Zhenia to win, it is still early in the season, and I am very much liking it that Zhenya is being so - I hope I am choosing the right word - sportive about this. Yes, she 'only' won silver, but her programme showed a lot of potential and she's only been training properly since June. did I forget something? Ah, yes. I thought Kailani did a good job (and what a smile that girl has), I properly noticed Alexia for the first time, and I was sad for Wakaba who (in my view) has the wrong kind of programme for her and did not skate well. I liked the choreo well enough, but I'd rather see Wakaba skating to something modern, powerful and - forgive me my language - 'strong womany'. But, on the whole, a great competition especially so early in the season. And, I know I've probably mentioned it elsewhere, but Ted's commentary after the programmes is knowledgeable, constructive and just d**n entertaining. He loves skaters as well as skating, and that makes watching all the more enjoyable.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I know right????

Why would BOrser let Zhenya do one of those?

BOrser also "let" Yuzu completely mess up his spin and get zero points in his SP. Even Jason Brown has gotten a zero point spin in the past. Zhenya just messed it up, it doesn't mean she can't do a proper spin.

Last edited by a moderator:

frida80

Record Breaker
Well, this answers one one complaint. I honestly got used to certain skaters getting high PCS without a thought. It seems that at least at this competitions judges don't feel the inclination to boost your PCS scores based on reputation. We'll see if that continues to other competitions. But seeing Yuzuru not score 100+ even though he was basically clean and Zhenia lose because she no longer has a PCS cushion was enlightening.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow. Bradie wins.

Good for her!

Even an early season win is still a win. There's plenty for her to work on, but this has to be a major validation of her work and the progress it has brought. She should be very proud of this result.

moriel

Record Breaker
I know right????

Why would BOrser let Zhenya do one of those?

I think it should’ve been level 2

i think it was a mistake due to the fall.
At least while i was watching it, it looked like she got behind the music because of the fall, and then needed to catch up and ended up skipping stuff in the jump

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
BOrser also "let" Yuzu completely mess up his spin and get zero points in his SP. Even Jason Brown has gotten a zero point spin in the past. Zhenya just messed it up, it doesn't mean she can't do a proper spin.

Actually I'm pretty sure Brian ran on the ice and knocked Yuzuru over and I think I saw him sticking a pin in an Evgenia doll when she was spinning.

Because that is what coaches do: want their students to fail.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
69 PCS and 65 TES for Evgenia. FINALLY JUSTICE.

That program is so empty. No emotion, no presentation, just nothing. She has lost all of her spark under Orser.

Eteri knew at least how to create interesting programs.

I guess that comes down to taste a bit, like I find Eteri programs way too cluttered, like you could never really focus on one element to it's full extent.

And I think Med's still got her spark! Orange Coloured Sky was brilliant and a lot of fun.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually I'm pretty sure Brian ran on the ice and knocked Yuzuru over and I think I saw him sticking a pin in an Evgenia doll when she was spinning.

Because that is what coaches do: want their students to fail.

Oh he also totally persuaded Jason to cut his hair, which somehow lead to the underrotation of his 3Z in his SP today. :laugh:

Orser, what a punk.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Man...I really got into that Romeo and Juliet that Bradie threw down. I like that she showed up ready to go with very deliberate movements and well delivered choreography full of confidence. That’s how ya get things rolling early on. I’m sure there were some judges at home watching this who will take note. Well done! Go Bradie!!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh he also totally persuaded Jason to cut his hair, which somehow lead to the underrotation of his 3Z in his SP today. :laugh:

Orser, what a punk.

:laugh:

Although I loved the ponytail, so if Orser is behind the haircut then I'm totally judging him right now. :p

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
A note: didn't Asada rework her technique during the 2010-2011 season, end up placing really low at her GP events, and still come out the other end of the quad with much success?

:popcorn:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A note: didn't Asada rework her technique during the 2010-2011 season, end up placing really low at her GP events, and still come out the other end of the quad with much success?

:popcorn:

Yep 8th and 5th at her GP events, lost Nationals to Miki Ando and was a distant 6th at Worlds after winning it the year before.

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Not the men's thread but I really, really appreciate Jason's new more mature look. It is sort of how I feel about Charlie White after he cut off that ridiculous surf boy hair he had.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Not the men's thread but I really, really appreciate Jason's new more mature look. It is sort of how I feel about Charlie White after he cut off that ridiculous surf boy hair he had.

COME ON AP. Post in the right thread. :p

But yes I agree. :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha, I kid. The decision was clearly all Jason's LOL.

Mrs. P, going off topic. I hate to do it, but you're not on the pairs thread. Anyway...

Following up on our brief exchange on the Pairs Short thread. I watched Haven and Brandon's LP. Obviously a rough day at the office, especially for her. But what struck me was how much HE has improved in terms of softer, more confident skating (I used "less clunky" last time we chatted).

They're now officially on my "I'm interested enough to watch this" list. Thought you should know.

Edit: I meant to type they're NOW on my list, not NOT on my list. Corrected.