2021 Worlds: Men's FS "Thoughts and Observations" | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Men's FS "Thoughts and Observations"

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
His FS really needs a new music edit if it's going to maximize his ability to be competitive. Needs to be 4 jumps and 1 spin in the first half, and then the next 3 jump elements, starting right after the half-way mark, and then the footwork and other spins. He has to structure the program to make it as easy as possible to nail those jumps (without totally sacrificing the transitions ofc). I've tried to arrange the jumps to be ideally strategic in his current edit and it just doesn't work. The music is close to being ideal for a jump element right after the half-way mark but not quite, the music hits cadence at 1:56-1:59 in the program that would be excellent to execute his 4Toe-half loop-3Flip combo, but that's unfortunately 4 seconds too early, and he can't just wait because the music goes dead right after that part, it would be all wrong.

Even if that part could be fixed, the other problem is his final jump element needs to be followed by the level step sequence, and the music at that point is also all wrong to accommodate it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm reeeeeally hoping Yuzu keeps Let Me Entertain You for the Olympics, because that program would absolutely slay!

Not sure he's want to keep both the SP and FS though.

I think it would be a great Olympic program and I appreciate its different from his usual (and even the men’s field in general).

I have a feeling though he will swap his SP for something more classical.. which is more his comfort zone and judge friendly. I just hope it isn’t Chopin v15.0.

H&E he will most certainly keep but agreed with BoP that the cuts need to change. There is something very mellow about the music and causes the program to lack intensity except at the end when suddenly the energy is dialed up to leave a good final impression I guess. Although I also felt the same about Chen’s FS this year, especially compared to his fantastic Rocket Man program from last year.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Some fans and critics have commented that they didn't like either of Nathan's programs this season, and particularly not the fp. I don't know if it's the music or the choreo, or both that some people didn't like. I've always enjoyed watching both of Nathan's programs this season, though perhaps the music is a bit cerebral for some tastes. Also, it's an unusual season, which meant no skater could get mileage on new programs.

The way Nathan skated his fp at Worlds was athletically and aesthetically pleasing. The Philip Glass music has different nuances that resonated with Nathan and his choreographer, Shae Lynn. I got a lot out of watching Nathan's Worlds fp performance because he was so on fire and very present as the the program built. The way the program is structured and some of the movement patterns remind me a great deal of Nathan's 2015 Junior Worlds program. The below CBC video of that 2015 performance was commentated by Kurt Browning, Carol Lane, and apparently Tracy Wilson:

Nathan's 2021 Worlds performance (Russian Eurosport; German; Russian):

Nathan isn't the best spinner and his camel positions aren't very good, but he gets the job done. The seeming ease with which he performed this program is amazing because it's very hard to be this clean and present with the musical nuances, while completing such jam-packed technical difficulty. As commentators said, Nathan wasn't even breathing hard when the program ended. Plus, the difficult jump combos in the second half seemed to flow out of him with even more excitement than those at the beginning of the program. The German and Russian commentators apparently were exclaiming over the quad toe, euler, triple flip, which they said no one else has ever done. Nathan then immediately came around and landed another quad toe with a triple toe added. All of those jumps in the second half gained bonus points. He didn't even appear to break a sweat. This is probably one of the reasons why TT&J seemed to be rendered almost speechless. They probably wished they were in the arena to witness this performance. I sure wish I could get to witness such a performance by Nathan up-close. Stunning.

It resonated with me how, during the Q&A afterward, Nathan answered the question about his mindset in coming from behind: He said that he reminded himself how fortunate he was to be competing (with all the recent uncertainties) and that he didn't know how many more opportunities he would have to compete at Worlds, which helped to calm and focus his mind. So his performance was about gratitude and about staying in the moment and making the most of the time he has left in his career. And, oh yes, in the end it was about winning, but he wasn't focused on thinking about winning, the way he apparently was in the sp. He was focused on doing his job the best he could with intention, joy, and fierce desire. Hopefully, some of Nathan's fellow U.S. teammates can learn from Nathan's example of how to perform at a high level under pressure.

pianistliz

On the Ice
Well, i'm not asian (i've actually never even been to any part of the asian continent) but i still get the program and it's still one of my favorites of his lol

It just really spoke to me (when performed like it was at jnats).
Same! I'm caucasian living in the US but Heaven and Earth from nationals is one of my favorite programs and performances of all time.

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
I'd say Nathan is an excellent spinner and I find his positions quite solid.

Well, he's certainly not the worst spinner in the men's field, but it would be a streatch to call him an "excellent" spinner in my opinion. For him to win this category in GOE at most competitions is quite outrageous and really not fair judging, especially when there are spinners like Brown or Vasiljevs (among others) in the field.

Olympic

On the Ice
Some fans and critics have commented that they didn't like either of Nathan's programs this season, and particularly not the fp. I don't know if it's the music or the choreo, or both that some people didn't like. I've always enjoyed watching both of Nathan's programs this season, though perhaps the music is a bit cerebral for some tastes. Also, it's an unusual season, which meant no skater could get mileage on new programs.

The way Nathan skated his fp at Worlds was athletically and aesthetically pleasing. The Philip Glass music has different nuances that resonated with Nathan and his choreographer, Shae Lynn. I got a lot out of watching Nathan's Worlds fp performance because he was so on fire and very present as the the program built. The way the program is structured and some of the movement patterns remind me a great deal of Nathan's 2015 Junior Worlds program. The below CBC video of that 2015 performance was commentated by Kurt Browning, Carol Lane, and apparently Tracy Wilson:

Nathan's 2021 Worlds performance (Russian Eurosport; German; Russian):

Nathan isn't the best spinner and his camel positions aren't very good, but he gets the job done. The seeming ease with which he performed this program is amazing because it's very hard to be this clean and present with the musical nuances, while completing such jam-packed technical difficulty. As commentators said, Nathan wasn't even breathing hard when the program ended. Plus, the difficult jump combos in the second half seemed to flow out of him with even more excitement than those at the beginning of the program. The German and Russian commentators apparently were exclaiming over the quad toe, euler, triple flip, which they said no one else has ever done. Nathan then immediately came around and landed another quad toe with a triple toe added. All of those jumps in the second half gained bonus points. He didn't even appear to break a sweat. This is probably one of the reasons why TT&J seemed to be rendered almost speechless. They probably wished they were in the arena to witness this performance. I sure wish I could get to witness such a performance by Nathan up-close. Stunning.

It resonated with me how, during the Q&A afterward, Nathan answered the question about his mindset in coming from behind: He said that he reminded himself how fortunate he was to be competing (with all the recent uncertainties) and that he didn't know how many more opportunities he would have to compete at Worlds, which helped to calm and focus his mind. So his performance was about gratitude and about staying in the moment and making the most of the time he has left in his career. And, oh yes, in the end it was about winning, but he wasn't focused on thinking about winning, the way he apparently was in the sp. He was focused on doing his job the best he could with intention, joy, and fierce desire. Hopefully, some of Nathan's fellow U.S. teammates can learn from Nathan's example of how to perform at a high level under pressure.
I say this as an uber - He tends to 'flop' over to the other foot in his 1st spin, the Camel-change-Camel. It would improve dramatically if he could 'pop' instead of 'flop'. It's a small thing. Otherwise, he is no Swiss skater, but I find his spins fast, centered, well-extended

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The way the program is structured and some of the movement patterns remind me a great deal of Nathan's 2015 Junior Worlds program. The below CBC video of that 2015 performance was commentated by Kurt Browning, Carol Lane, and apparently Tracy Wilson:
A very interesting video. Tracy Wilson does not commentate for the CBC, but I can understand why you thought the woman giving the introduction was her. I had to listen and think for quite a while before I could recognize her as Brenda Irving.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And this shows why we don't need commentators...

I don’t think we can expect commentators to be accurate 100% of the time. Sometimes they would call a quad a triple or call the wrong type of jump in real-time, which to me is worse than not knowing that skaters have executed a particular combo before, since it’s happening in real-time right before their eyes. Perhaps they meant it was the only one in the competition or they could have just misspoke.

Big Deal

Final Flight
And a 4cc title with the super slam.
He is stillthe most competitive at the moment after Chen. His goal is to incorporate the 4A axel in his program. As long as he is happy to skate I think he shouldn't retire. He is always a joy to watch ( not yesterday pity).
I think that the idea about his retirement could come up because it was the first time when his "love of skating" was not visible. But it well could be only a bad day matter.

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
That's not how I read Tavi's post at all.:scratch2:

The discussion drifted, as it often does. The point was made that Jason had landed a quad at Skate America some years back. The response was that it was called UR. Another response was that Adam's quad, *at the same competition* was called rotated, yet was more UR than Jason's. I am not sure if the response that Tavi quoted was even referring to the Skate America competition, so it was confusing to me. But I was presuming it was referring to SA, because the entire conversation before then had been about SA. Thus, a query about whether tech panels should be consistent *in the same competition*.

No one is saying Jason's quad at Worlds was fully rotated. It doesn't matter to me, I'm so happy for his sake he stood up. As long as I get to see his beautiful and athletic skating, spinning and transitions I'm a happy camper:biggrin:
I would love to see Jason land a fully rotated quad though.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nathan is a beast. So consistent. I know he has a huge fan base and I certainly wouldn't say he is terribe at spinning or skating skills or choreo and he keeps developing but he is no Jason Brown but who cares he ges the scores/marks. THe Japanese men a macine. Any of the three could win a medal Hanyu has the most potentialdespitteonly winning bronze. Yuma had no pressure or expectations but that is gone now. Kolyada if he skates clean is at least a medal contender. His fs has huge potential. I hope he keeps it andgets a new costume. he impressed me with his programs. The top seven men impressed me. Brown of course is the most beautiful and artistic skater with the best skating skills. I think he is saving even better programs for Olympics. And I have to say Keegan may not be a classical skater but he really has great skating skills. Too bad about the popped flip still if he can add another quad to the sp and fs. He couldmedal too. And really I hope his pcs raise as they should. After the top seven they rest were ho hum. yes, I know Grassi or Bychenk and all coudl climb but I thikthis year the top seven were rightfully the top seve. But ice is slippery so who knows. Yuma's joy is amazing; i hope it stays. Still in the end Nathan Chen is the class and star of the field.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I say this as an uber - He tends to 'flop' over to the other foot in his 1st spin, the Camel-change-Camel. It would improve dramatically if he could 'pop' instead of 'flop'. It's a small thing. Otherwise, he is no Swiss skater, but I find his spins fast, centered, well-extended
Yeah, I haven't noticed the foot flop, but I get what you mean. It's a bit awkward; not a seamless transition. I agree Nathan's spins are fast and well-centered. His spin positions are generally okay, but the leg line in his camel position isn't particularly the best. IOW, not classically perfect. Still, he gets the job done. No one is perfect at everything, although some skaters are more well-rounded than others.

And honestly, Nathan is just very rare and special with what he does when he lays down a program like this with such jaw-dropping consistency and humongous multiple quads.

I would love to see Jason land a fully rotated quad though.
I was at Skate America that year, and both Jason and Adam performed some amazingly beautiful programs. Jason landed the quad in his free skate, but I don't think the judges expected him to land it that easily, so apparently they knee-jerk thought it must have been under-rotated. The problem is the judges don't always have good camera angles to make these crucial judgements. Plus, they are usually harsher in judging skaters who haven't shown proven consistency on quads.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well, he's certainly not the worst spinner in the men's field, but it would be a streatch to call him an "excellent" spinner in my opinion. For him to win this category in GOE at most competitions is quite outrageous and really not fair judging, especially when there are spinners like Brown or Vasiljevs (among others) in the field.
Nathan is a good spinner, with as @Olympic said, fast, well-centered, well-extended spins. So with that ability, he more than gets the job done with spins which, added to his other boffo elements, will garner a lot of points from the judges. The judges enjoy giving points to highly competitive skaters who are consistent. Look at the GOE and PCS points thrown at the messy free skates of the top three ladies because of their tech abilities. In Nathan's case, he is a very well-rounded skater athletically and aesthetically, which counts for a lot. Even despite the views of some fans who complain because they prefer other men competitors over Nathan.

My earlier comments weren't meant to denigrate Nathan's spinning abilities. It's just not his strongest suit, but he's not a poor spinner either. At the same time, I do agree that those men with phenomenal spinning talent should be rewarded with highest GOE on their spins.

Olympic

On the Ice
Nathan is a good spinner, with as @Olympic said, fast, well-centered, well-extended spins. So with that ability, he more than gets the job done with spins which, added to his other boffo elements, will garner a lot of points from the judges. The judges enjoy giving points to highly competitive skaters who are consistent. Look at the GOE and PCS points thrown at the messy free skates of the top three ladies because of their tech abilities. In Nathan's case, he is a very well-rounded skater athletically and aesthetically, which counts for a lot. Even despite the views of some fans who complain because they prefer other men competitors over Nathan.

My earlier comments weren't meant to denigrate Nathan's spinning abilities. It's just not his strongest suit, but he's not a poor spinner either. At the same time, I do agree that those men with phenomenal spinning talent should be rewarded with highest GOE on their spins.
Well said @BlissfulSynergy - Beyond the jumps and spins, he garners Lv 4 on the FW and he gets good GOE on the Choreo seq. when he cuts loose at the end of the LP. It is smart that Team Nathan put that element at the end, because it is an often-ignored element, but he can score well when he skates w/ abandon on the crest of the music. It goes to show how not only Nathan is a great skater, but he and his team carefully calculate everything. I think it is the reason for his huge success.

With regard to the way in which he 'flops' over on the Camel, IDK why that happens because that huge martial arts kick in this choreo seq. suggests that he is flexible and capable of getting height, so it makes me wonder why he can't thrust his legs upward between the Camel spins. Anyway. Small point.

lurkz2

On the Ice
Well said @BlissfulSynergy - Beyond the jumps and spins, he garners Lv 4 on the FW and he gets good GOE on the Choreo seq. when he cuts loose at the end of the LP. It is smart that Team Nathan put that element at the end, because it is an often-ignored element, but he can score well when he skates w/ abandon on the crest of the music. It goes to show how not only Nathan is a great skater, but he and his team carefully calculate everything. I think it is the reason for his huge success.

With regard to the way in which he 'flops' over on the Camel, IDK why that happens because that huge martial arts kick in this choreo seq. suggests that he is flexible and capable of getting height, so it makes me wonder why he can't thrust his legs upward between the Camel spins. Anyway. Small point.
I cut him slack on the camel since he had back injuries. Team Nathan has been great so far (knock on wood) at managing him.

I don't get the ppl who claim that they don't see Nathan's balletic background when I see it in his posture and his wonderfully pointed toes that's not there in many so called balletic skaters.