2021 Nebelhorn Trophy: Men's Free Skate | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2021 Nebelhorn Trophy: Men's Free Skate

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Yeah, usually he does 4F but this time, not even a triple. He may be having some trouble with it, so left it out. I don't think he likes loops very much.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Very impressed with Vincent. Great to watch him. Still surprised by how much more grown up he looks every time I see him. I’ve been rooting for him now for many years. Time flies. Lots of ups and downs on the way. But it seems like he is beginning to find his style with nice movements with his heart in it.

LOL Tom is very happy in kiss&cry.

Vincent's plan last season was to change coach to Barkell in Canada, right? Well, seems like he adjusted well with his old coaching team. And still having the other two musketeers by his side must be nice

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yay Vincent! Third sport:dance3:

Vincent's expressions have improved tremendously over the years and I give him props for that. I do think he is a naturally sensitive person and I think now (I hope) he is focusing less on being a jump machine and more on the entirety of the performance.

I know this is the discussion of the LP, but I will never love the tune Vincent, I didn't like it in 1970, I didn't like it with Piper and Paul, I don't like it now. The LP suits Vincent well.(y)

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
To all of you who keep saying "I feel nothing on his skate, he is souless..", like does he have to cry midway in the performance for you to feel something???? Geez...
He's a fine performer, but Vincent doesn't totally excel at anything, be it performance, clean jumps, spins, or skating skills. He's very very good at everything he does, but he just doesn't quite hit the mark on any of them to truly stand out. He had some really bad luck coming up in the US with Nathan right behind him to be the technical king and Jason as the PCS king, and hopefully he'll be able to develop his own niche in skating over time. And I do see some moments of a true, natural performer in both his short and free, so hopefully he'll grow that over this season and beyond.

LiamV426

On the Ice
Country
Scotland
I'm glad Vincent brought back CTHD this year, it works so well for him! Looks like the US Men's Olympic Team is sorted.

It's such a relief that all 5 men who were trying to qualify either a 2nd or 3rd spot managed to do it! Mostly relieved for Roman cause I wasn't sure what to expect after that free skate, he needs to get that 2nd spot otherwise it'll be a waste (imo).

Dogo

On the Ice
He's a fine performer, but Vincent doesn't totally excel at anything, be it performance, clean jumps, spins, or skating skills. He's very very good at everything he does, but he just doesn't quite hit the mark on any of them to truly stand out. He had some really bad luck coming up in the US with Nathan right behind him to be the technical king and Jason as the PCS king, and hopefully he'll be able to develop his own niche in skating over time. And I do see some moments of a true, natural performer in both his short and free, so hopefully he'll grow that over this season and beyond.
I think he excels at his overall program performance when the timing is right and the universe aligns. Otherwise he wouldn't have won this competition. Not giving up, not letting yourself go down into oblivion, and coming back stronger after a bad season it's a merit on its own.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Calm down Vincent! This is not the REAL Olympics, just the qualifier...:ROFLMAO:
Yeah, did you see all the Rotten Apples being lobbed at him recently ... even on polite Goldenskate forum?

Actually, I'm sure just the pressure Vincent put on himself would make most of us around here quite a lot less than calm. Maybe hyperventilating.:ROFLMAO:

Dogo

On the Ice
We shouldn't forget that the USFS shouldn't have even been in this position to begin with, and that they were was also entirely Zhou's doing.

Making the free skate at Worlds should not be a difficult ask for a US National medallist.
Yeah, but I don't think I'm in a position to crucify him if he had lost Nebelhorn. As much as some people like to say the "but if Vincent doesn't qualify then what about my fav guy Jason..." quote, his skating life in not entitled to the federation or to the viewers. If he had lost here then the hate should be directed at USFS if they had picked him over Jason, not to a skater. Anyhow, I am just glad to watch him skate and overcome his challenges.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I know. But there are plenty of rumours that Sweden doesn't consider either of their singles skaters to mean the "development" exception.

Furthermore, there is precedent of Sweden doing so. To his older brother, in fact.

Finally, how do you suppose one should react to it?
I think we should wait and see until we know the decisions. Like in January or whenever the olympic committees must make their choices? I wrote a bit about the Swedish situation in the European skating thread :)

Nothing ill meant to you.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I think we should wait and see until we know the decisions. Like in January or whenever the olympic committees must make their choices? I wrote a bit about the Swedish situation in the European skating thread :)

Nothing ill meant to you.
Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, I'm nervous for them though.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I get "he's not my cup of tea" or "not my style of skating" but I'm tired of comments that target his performance while he is clearly putting an effort. Can he do better? No doubt.
I agree he's putting an effort. His choreography isn't bad either.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think his Short Program shows his artistic potential way more than his FS. His FS had a lot of unfinished movements and he could show more conviction in his poses and more tension in his hand gestures. This isn't a vehicle to win (unless there are disaster skates) but it keeps him in the mix (I mean, 43/88 PCS and a ton of quads which if weren't q would have had like about 10 points more GOE). He's definitely put himself in the medal conversation and obviously a competition like this gives him HUGE confidence. As others have said, he's not quite the level of artistry of the top guys, but he's putting in the effort. Same on his jumps too - there's more spring and he's holding his landings more. All his spins were level 4 too.

Congrats to Roman for getting the spot for Canada! He's fortunate because the Turks were really close and if not for some pops on their end, Canada would only have 1 man at the Olympics.