2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men's Free Skate | Page 80 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men's Free Skate

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Wait. Where is there any indication that Ilia is going to switch federations?

There isn't any. This is based on people on the internet spouting off because they're disappointed with team selection.

There's no reason to give this speculation any credence or life at all.
And i don't think that would be a wise decision. Sure he will be guaranteed a spot for any competition, but his PCS will never rise and judges will be more conservative on GOEs. While in US, his PCS will rise just by landing his quads. He has the door wide open for the next 4 years. He can be consistently in top 2 at least, in US men standings. And top 2 usually means having a shot for major competitions medals.
Better to keep US fed politicking power.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
What is really the difference between Jason never having done a quad and Rizzo/Vasiljevs having like one easy quad and screwing it up 90% of the time? I’d rather watch Jason stay on his feet.
Slightly OT, Matteo is actually an artistic skater, with some of the best skating skills at Euros! Just saying. A better example to illustrate your point would be Kvitelashvili (attempts multiple quads, wildly inconsistent, fairly unremarkable SS/spins).

Although many guys tend to focus on jumps over skating skills, especially in developmental stages, it's not fair to assume every guy who attempts quads is some robotic soulless jumper. As I mentioned somewhere before, Jason is one of the best examples of artistic male skaters out there at the moment - that doesn't mean there weren't (Patrick Chan, just 4 years ago) or aren't (e.g. Sadovsky) others. In fact subjectively I prefer Roman this season, his programmes and movement style speak to me more. The fact that he does a 4S, or pops/splats on one more often than not, doesn't negate this.

isk82

On the Ice
Superfans always think their fav should get a +5 on everything and anything less is robbery.

Jason got very high GoE on almost every element. That is why his score is as high as it is without a real quad.
I don’t think he deserved +5. I’m also not a super fan. I just appreciate excellent skating. 😊

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
To be honest, I don't remember what music Jason Brown skated to either.. his skating bores me...
The same. I keep thinking that I should look up what this Sinnerman is everyone is losing their heads over. Maybe it’s some great American classic and that explains the hype? All I see is a flexible guy, but not as flexible as Grassl, jumping triples with a saccharine smile. Like, meh?

Last edited:

decafjava

On the Ice
Country
Switzerland
The same. I keep thinking that I should look up what this Sinnerman is everyone is losing their heads over. Maybe it’s some great American classic? All I see is a flexible guy, but not as flexible as Grassl, jumping triples with a saccharine smile. Like, meh?
Sinnerman is a classic by the singer Nina Simone.

I like it and Jason's SP but of course your taste may vary or as the Romans said "De gustibus non est disputandum".

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sinnerman is a classic by the singer Nina Simone.

I like it and Jason's SP but of course your taste may vary or as the Romans said "De gustibus non est disputandum".

So, like jazz era or something? Or Civil Rights symbology?

decafjava

On the Ice
Country
Switzerland
Traditional African-American spiritual song. Nina Simone sang this version in 1965. She was a singer with many different styles from classical to jazz to blues and one of my favourites. Yes she was also a civil rights advocate.

Nina Simone bio

Not sure if she was a skating fan though. :biggrin:

Horsefeathers

On the Ice
Ilia anointing himself as "quadgod" has me thinking "pride goeth before a fall."

Maybe it won't happen literally like that, but I remember when Terrence Trent D'Arby (now known as Sanando Francesca Maitreya) came upon the music scene and announced he was going to be bigger than The Beatles or Elvis. Spoiler: He wasn't.

If one is going to toot one's own horn, they'd better make sure that horn is in tune. I prefer humility and grace in a skater, not preening arrogance.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Ilia anointing himself as "quadgod" has me thinking "pride goeth before a fall."

Maybe it won't happen literally like that, but I remember when Terrence Trent D'Arby (now known as Sanando Francesca Maitreya) came upon the music scene and announced he was going to be bigger than The Beatles or Elvis. Spoiler: He wasn't.

If one is going to toot one's own horn, they'd better make sure that horn is in tune. I prefer humility and grace in a skater, not preening arrogance.
It’s not a boast, it’s inspirational. He explained that if he wants to live up to it. Public accountability and visualization of success is a known technique for goal setting. And, yes, he is very obviously 17. He has a very different attitude in his age than my other favorite, Mozalev, did, but without ambition they are not going anywhere.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
He’s had a groin injury. He was named to Skate America but withdrew. I really hope he does not now have an ankle issue.

Your description of Tara and Johnny make me disinclined to watch it.
Normally, I watch them after I have seen the real performances. lots of fast forwarding...was good to hear that Tracy is asymptomatic and what she said to Jason...Injuries and equipment issues....ouch....Didnt Karen Chen go through a bunch of boots one year?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Terence Trent D’Arby is an excellent singer. But there’s no shame in not being as big as the Beatles or Elvis.

I’m not a fan of the arrogance either. The first thing I think when I look at Ilia is that he is tiny, a growth spurt is more likely than not, and he will have the same problems dealing with it as any other skater. For his sake I would like to be wrong.

One of the reasons I adore Nathan Chen is that he’s arguably the GOAT and he’s extremely modest.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well then, if you're willing to trade your country, your nationality, your, dare I say, spirit for living for an Olympic medal....uh.....perhaps this is...nope won't go there. Just asking for consideration. How do we establish nationality anyway? I can understand escaping repercussion due to political/religious beliefs but to change nationalities for - well here we are again, aren't we? I want the option to remain open....but...but...
Are you talking citizenships or nationalities?

Jennings56

Spectator
I don’t believe Ilia is arrogant at all; he’s young with a lot of confidence. And he sure did back it up with his skating. It’s such a shame he has to wait until the next olympic cycle and hope nothing happens to him to prevent him from going. It’s like not picking the ripe fruit when its ready and leaving it on the vine in hopes it gets better and not rots instead. I’m a coach and you play your best athletes to win not sit them on the bench.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It’s not a boast, it’s inspirational. He explained that if he wants to live up to it. Public accountability and visualization of success is a known technique for goal setting. And, yes, he is very obviously 17. He has a very different attitude in his age than my other favorite, Mozalev, did, but without ambition they are not going anywhere.

Well, it comes off as arrogant. His team had better get on that. Vincent Zhou has the same problem. When Vincent is in a press conference with skaters like Nathan or Keegan, he comes off poorly. That’s one reason (though one of the minor ones) Twitter is on fire about him being named to the Olympics. I appreciate that this forum is about the skating and not things like this, but they do exist.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Normally, I watch them after I have seen the real performances. lots of fast forwarding...was good to hear that Tracy is asymptomatic and what she said to Jason...Injuries and equipment issues....ouch....Didnt Karen Chen go through a bunch of boots one year?
Karen Chen had boot problems for what seemed like forever. I think everyone had decided she was never coming back.

Then she shows up at Philly International and @Seven Sisters and I were floored. We never thought we’d see her back on competitive ice. But Karen was like “not so fast.” She comes off as an ice Princess but she’s actually a very resilient and gutsy skater.

But this is not the Karen Chen fan fest. So I’ll just say I hope Yaro’s boot problems are resolved quickly

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I thought Johnny Weir explained that Ilya calls himself "quad-god" on instagram as a way of motivating himself to actually become one. I don't see anything wrong with that. And I'm not a fan of all this "social media persona" stuff like "empresses" and "queens". That explanation really doesn't seem like bragging to me.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

@decafjava has already posted and elaborated on the song "Sinnerman", but Jason's program is based on the Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre piece "Revelations". Revelations is a modern dance classic performed originally by the Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre.

"Sinnerman" is part of the Third Section, Move Members Move

In America, saying you need to learn more about Alvin Ailey would be like saying you need to learn more about this Tchaikovsky guy who appeared to write some ballets.

Rohene Ward, who grew up in Minnesota four blocks from where George Floyd was murdered, was inspired by the events of that summer to choreograph these piece.

Neither SInnerman nor Schinder's List choreo calls for smiling and Jason doesn't. So if you are seeing a "saccharine smile", you must be talking about another skater.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
@decafjava has already posted and elaborated on the song "Sinnerman", but Jason's program is based on the Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre piece "Revelations". Revelations is a modern dance classic performed originally by the Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre.

"Sinnerman" is part of the Third Section, Move Members Move

In America, saying you need to learn more about Alvin Ailey would be like saying you need to learn more about this Tchaikovsky guy who appeared to write some ballets.

Rohene Ward, who grew up in Minnesota four blocks from where George Floyd was murdered, was inspired by the events of that summer to choreograph these piece.

Neither SInnerman nor Schinder's List choreo calls for smiling and Jason doesn't. So if you are seeing a "saccharine smile", you must be talking about another skater.
Okay, that definitely explains American attitude toward it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Which is all fine and good, until someone gets shafted for Brown. even with the win this clean. Even with 6 quads. Two cleanest skates. Lutz and flip… just inconceivable.
Larko, I'll tell you why I have such a problem with this comment and those who agree with you. I had the same problem back in the 90's when I supported Maria Butyrskaya. I never said anything against Michelle Kwan but, you'd think I'd robbed her by the way I was attacked by her fans. However, I never said anything bad about Michelle and I NEVER blamed her, Or Sarah Huges for that matter, for the judges not calling their obvious Flutzes. The skaters have no power over the decisions the judges make and if you have a problem with Jason's numbers, it's the judges you need to speak negatively about, not the skaters.