2023 Skate Canada Women's Free Skate | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate Canada Women's Free Skate

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Then I have Hufflepuffness? Me?
I don't know 'bout that, just talking about the Slytherin qualities of a certain self-proclaimed Gryffindor. 👆

And my own personal experience of taking the test a few times and being sorted into the same two houses with pretty much a 50-50 split. And very much recognising certain characteristics of other houses in myself - Like being very kind-hearted and empathetic (or maybe I just cry very easily?) despite not being a Hufflepuff.

rain

Record Breaker
Lots of impressive performances today. Just goes to show, you can lose the competition in the short program. Maddie would have been on the podium but for it. Still, in spite of that, she already looks 100 times better than she did last season, and her programs are much better. Hopefully the short was just first grand prix of the season jitters.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
the issue is that she doesn't have tech mins.. and it's not like Skate Canada has any vision that anything could happen to Maddie and prevent her from competing...
They need to send them out to try again, but other issue is that the SP mins are fairly hard to get. Kaiya hasn't hit them at 3 events this season: 30.15 at Cranberry, 30.14 at Autumn Classic, 28.32 here. She got 30.96 at IceChallenge last season. She did surpass 32 in juniors, but that was back in 2021. I definitely think she's capable, but it requires quite a good skate. Sara-Maude had 30.56 at Nebelhorn (her best), and 26.47 here. And realistically, even if SC sends them out again, it will be 1 event, not as many B events as it takes until they get it. So that means 1-2 more chances max (possibly one CS/Sr B + Four Continents). So fingers crossed.

I'm wondering if Justine might be most likely to get hers (if they send her out to try), since she's missing the FS not the SP. I feel like that one's a little easier to get*. She would need 53 TES in the FS, and her best is 51.51 at Autumn Classic.

*I checked, and out of all the women listed on the Sr Women's Technical score page, more have the Worlds FS than the Worlds SP. Did it quickly so the numbers might be off by 1-2, but I had 73 with 32+ for the SP, and 91 with 53+ for the FS

Vicky458

On the Ice
I know that the Sprial sequence is no longer a requirement however I don’t understand the slide requirement… I just don’t think it adds much value to the programs.. if anything it distracts from the overall performance… I prefer a Sprial sequence!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Impressed with Maddie honestly. We all know how capable she is but after the SP, I was really underwhelmed for her.

From 8th to 4th is quite an achievement in this field.

Kaori = I love her flow and speed so much. Though I do not like the LP that much, I cannot wait to see her in Montreal after being denied with the ACI change of schedule... UGH.

Rino, lovely skating. nice for her to get a bronze after being called in as a sub.

C. Kim = held on to her silver with a brilliant SP yesterday. I really dislike the music so I will have to watch her skating again but congrats to her.

Kaiya and Sara-Maude need more opportunities to compete to get more confident.

A bit disappointed with all three American women who did much better in the SP yesterday than in this LP.

Rinka = loved her dress. Bring back your 3a and stand out please.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
They need to send them out to try again, but other issue is that the SP mins are fairly hard to get. Kaiya hasn't hit them at 3 events this season: 30.15 at Cranberry, 30.14 at Autumn Classic, 28.32 here. She got 30.96 at IceChallenge last season. She did surpass 32 in juniors, but that was back in 2021. I definitely think she's capable, but it requires quite a good skate. Sara-Maude had 30.56 at Nebelhorn (her best), and 26.47 here. And realistically, even if SC sends them out again, it will be 1 event, not as many B events as it takes until they get it. So that means 1-2 more chances max (possibly one CS/Sr B + Four Continents). So fingers crossed.

I'm wondering if Justine might be most likely to get hers (if they send her out to try), since she's missing the FS not the SP. I feel like that one's a little easier to get*. She would need 53 TES in the FS, and her best is 51.51 at Autumn Classic.

*I checked, and out of all the women listed on the Sr Women's Technical score page, more have the Worlds FS than the Worlds SP. Did it quickly so the numbers might be off by 1-2, but I had 73 with 32+ for the SP, and 91 with 53+ for the FS
I think Justine is closer too.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I know that the Sprial sequence is no longer a requirement however I don’t understand the slide requirement… I just don’t think it adds much value to the programs.. if anything it distracts from the overall performance… I prefer a Sprial sequence!
there is no slide requirement.

The Spiral sequence was replaced by a choreographic Sequence. Sliding can be included but is not required.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I actually think I'm more Slytherin than Gryffindor if I had to pick between the two, so yes I will Slytherin myself merci beaucoup
So you want us to be house related. I get that you know... but i am not sharing my faves with you since you won't share yours with me ;)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
sure he's a Gryffindor as he's a vegetarian
I am going to read Harry Potter for the first time in the next 2 months or so (my university course, I'm doing a unit on YA literature and it's one of the set texts). I mean, everyone knows so much about them from media osmosis but if they ask me about houses... I will flash right back to primary school :eek:

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Rino, lovely skating.

C. Kim = held on to bronze with a brilliant SP yesterday. I really dislike the music so I will have to watch her skating again but congrats to her.

I think you got both of them mixed up - C. Kim got the silver here and Rino held on to her bronze from the SP :biggrin:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I am going to read Harry Potter for the first time in the next 2 months or so (my university course, I'm doing a unit on YA literature and it's one of the set texts). I mean, everyone knows so much about them from media osmosis but if they ask me about houses... I will flash right back to primary school :eek:
it will be clear to you as soon as you read the first novel