6 Kristoffer BERNTSSON SWE 64.81 33.66 31.15 6.30 5.75 6.30 6.35 6.45 0.00 #7
7 Kensuke NAKANIWA JPN 61.90 33.10 29.80 6.10 5.60 6.10 6.00 6.00 1.00 #6
8 Jialiang WU CHN 59.75 33.60 26.15 5.55 4.75 5.35 5.25 5.25 0.00 #4
9 Song GAO CHN 59.31 34.46 24.85 5.55 4.40 5.00 4.95 4.95 0.00 #1
10 Jeremy TEN CAN 55.81 30.26 26.55 5.50 4.80 5.35 5.50 5.40 1.00 #3
11 Ming XU CHN 53.28 29.48 24.80 5.30 4.60 5.05 4.95 4.90 1.00 #2

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
Congrats to Chipeur! :thumbsup: I hope someone posts the youtube vids soon. I'm not familiar with the rest of the field (besides Verner) and I'd like to see who they are.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was thinking about starting an Abbott v. Carriere comparison thread in the general forum, but maybe anyone who's seen vids will comment on them vis-a-vis this comp.

Abbott is certainly a late bloomer -- I didn't realize how "old" he is (for a figure skater) to just be making serious waves on the Senior circuit. But I re-watched '08 Worlds yesterday, and he can be really "on" with his musicality. But he can also have gorgeous jumps one minute, and the next have a couple of falls.

Even though he may not be as musical as Abbott, I really find Carriere quite watchable. Anyone have any comments on his performance here?

Geez, I'm wondering too about Verner. Hope he pulls it together in his LP. I haven't looked up what his music selections are this year. Loved his programs last year, even when he was having an off day.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I was a bit taken aback by Kristoffer BERNTSSON's results. I figured that he would be really up there.

Not surprised with Abbott. If he calms his nerves, he is formidable.

Chippeur is the kind of skater I enjoy watching most. He is a no nonsense performer with great flow and very masculine

Carriere did surprise me. He's looking much better so far this season.

Felt real sorry for Tomas. His nuances to get the crowd going just did not work.

I didn't see Bordulin skate but I will look for him On Demand later. He and Rippon were battling it out last Junior GPs. From the results, I get the feeeling that both these former Junior greats are having a rougher season in Seniors.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Well I just have to say this about these results....we all expected to see Johnny and Evan rock the Grand Prix. While they are doing ok...the men that we didn't expect to rock the Grand Prix are..Ryan, Jeremy and Steven!! Way to go!!!! I am very happy for Steven and for Jeremy. Hopefully they can medal after the long program!!

Medusa

Record Breaker
Loved Abbott. Loved him. Really loved him. The costume was ... nice? Looked like a Johnny-costume + one of those classical Ballet swanlake costumes. He looked very tiny in it. I hope he isn't scared of him leading the field as Ponsero was last week.

Carriere was good, he somehow isn't thrilling to me, but he was good. Just one question - did his jumps lose some height during the summer? He seemed very close to the ice in every phase of the jumps. Well, I hope he can pull it off in the LP, I think he was my No.1 pick (even before Takahashi withdrew).

What was Borudulin doing? Was that his version of "I want to be a novice skater again"? I can't believe it, just a double Axel and then that 3-2 combo? Rippon did better than that and at least Rippon didn't have beautiful 3A last season. Plus the costume - horrific! Tarasova is one of his coaches as far as I remember, did she have anything to do with that costume? Oh Artem, please show a bit of your skills tomorrow.

Verner. Well. He was horrible in his first Grand Prix last season too. I guess, considering his very low tech, that his 3A got hit with a downgrade here.

Chipeur had terrific jumps. But I didn't like the shirt he was wearing and I also didn't like the program. It was frontloaded - as are most men's programs (the women - not so much) - but everything else seemed fuzzy, there was no line, no highlight in the program. It somehow wasn't enjoyable to me. But the 3A is just so great that I felt much better after seeing it again in slow-mo after the program.

Eevun

Final Flight
I liked Chipeur very much, I'll keep my eyes on him in the future.

Nakaniwa, never heard of. Boring skating, boring music, boring program.

Kristoffer did a good skate. Not perfect, but absolutely ok. I looove that program, at this point the music makes me cry and are so in love with the braces. May he never change that SP :love:

I thought I knew who Abbott was. I didn't. But now I know :D Love Albioni, beautiful skating. He was very funny in K&C :laugh: So he is the flying pig, aha!

Has Borodulin pinched Stephane's zebra costume?? I liked it anyway, very sparkling. Liked his steps.

Carriere. Please, someone save me. Sooo boring... "Ah, with this music it can be really interesting", I thought. Oh, how wrong I was... He didn't impress me at all. Boooring. And he's so young, which means that he'll be around for a long time....

I was very surprised by Verner score. It didn't look that bad. But apparently it was. The lowest TES of them all :eek: And where did he lose his spirit?

alekzu

Rinkside
Oh Tomas, what has happened to you? Where is your spark? This was so sad to see. He doubled his quad, it looked horrible at that. Did he really do his 3lz? It almost looks like a double to me. His 3A looked fine to me. But hey, I am NOT an expert here...

And our dear Kristoffer did so great! Awesome! What a comeback after the surgery and all the rehab. And that 3f.... It was gorgeous! I have never seen him preform it so well. He usually has trouble with it, but not today. I am so excited to see his FS tomorrow. Go Kristoffer! :clap:

ingwer

Rinkside
I too found Carriere boring, plus his costume looked like pyjamas. And the choreography didn't work for me either.

alekzu

Rinkside
Okay, rule explanation time. Tomas combo didn't count at all. Why? Beacause he already did a 2T? (Combo was 3Lz + 2T)

Eevun

Final Flight
I too found Carriere boring, plus his costume looked like pyjamas. And the choreography didn't work for me either.
Yes I know! Really awful actually. And are you allowed to do this? Was this a mistake or something planned in the program? To me it didn't looked like he fell.

Last edited:

decker

On the Ice
Okay, rule explanation time. Tomas combo didn't count at all. Why? Beacause he already did a 2T? (Combo was 3Lz + 2T)

Correct. The senior men's singles element list for the season indicates that neither the axel jump nor the solo jump may be repeated in the combination. Also, the accceptable combinations listed just do not include a 3/2. They include 2/3, 3/3, 4/2 and 4/3. And while the axel may be a 2 or a 3, the other solo jump should be a 3. But apparently that offense is not so bad. a 2T with -3 GOE adds up to .30 of a point ... but it wasn't a zero.

Susan

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Congrats to Chipeur! :thumbsup: I hope someone posts the youtube vids soon. I'm not familiar with the rest of the field (besides Verner) and I'd like to see who they are.

I am sorry to report that it appears that USFS has successfully demanded the withdrawal of Skate Canada videos (as well as Skate America videos) from YouTube, on the basis of copyright claims. I think the same thing may happen with Cup of China videos.

Certain other types of skating videos have also been withdrawn from YouTube, and I believe that to be the indirect result of the USFS action, as people who posted the SA/SC videos may have had their YouTube accounts de-activated. I think that is probably what the description, "Removed due to terms of use violation" means.

A lot of skating videos are being removed......this is a sad, sad season........