Men's SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men's SP

Eevun

Final Flight
Also, the accceptable combinations listed just do not include a 3/2. They include 2/3, 3/3, 4/2 and 4/3.
Why? To me (I'm not a skater), 3/2 seems more natural than 2/3, you lose speed when you jump, right?

A lot of skating videos are being removed......this is a sad, sad season........
I download the ones I want as fast as they're put up...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
good for Jeremy and Steven! hopefully they can hold it together for the long!

Eevun

Final Flight
Did Verner's combination not count because he repeated the 2T?

Okay, rule explanation time. Tomas combo didn't count at all. Why? Beacause he already did a 2T?. (Combo was 3Lz + 2T)

Correct. The senior men's singles element list for the season indicates that neither the axel jump nor the solo jump may be repeated in the combination. Also, the accceptable combinations listed just do not include a 3/2. They include 2/3, 3/3, 4/2 and 4/3. And while the axel may be a 2 or a 3, the other solo jump should be a 3. But apparently that offense is not so bad. a 2T with -3 GOE adds up to .30 of a point ... but it wasn't a zero.

Susan

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Also, the accceptable combinations listed just do not include a 3/2. They include 2/3, 3/3, 4/2 and 4/3.

Huh? Since when has a 3/2 been not acceptable? That MUST be a recent rule, if it is true at all. Obviously nobody actually PLANS a 3-2, you want the 3-3, but it's not cause for further deduction. At the last World Championships, Men that did a 3/2 didn't receive a deduction.

Carriere. Please, someone save me. Sooo boring... "Ah, with this music it can be really interesting", I thought. Oh, how wrong I was... He didn't impress me at all. Boooring. And he's so young, which means that he'll be around for a long time....
Such a trash of a skater. I just watch skaters who do their programs well. Carriere improved; he's not going downhill like others.

decker

On the Ice
Huh? Since when has a 3/2 been not acceptable? That MUST be a recent rule, if it is true at all. Obviously nobody actually PLANS a 3-2, you want the 3-3, but it's not cause for further deduction. At the last World Championships, Men that did a 3/2 didn't receive a deduction.

Why? To me (I'm not a skater), 3/2 seems more natural than 2/3, you lose speed when you jump, right?

I'm not saying I understand or agree. Just what the element list says.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/SinglesSPElements.pdf

Susan

Eevun

Final Flight
Such a trash of a skater. I just watch skaters who do their programs well. Carriere improved; he's not going downhill like others.

He obviously did his program well since he got good scores. But I didn't think he was funny to watch. I'm not a skater. I've watched figure skating for almost 7 years, but I still don't know a single jump (I can see if they rotate 2, 3 or 4 times, kinda). I try to learn that, but it's quite hard since I'm not a skater myself and know and feel how the jumps are to be done. So for me it's more of a show for the eye and ear, and I like the competition part. That mean that I probably trash skaters who's technically really good, or the other way round.

I'm not saying I understand or agree. Just what the element list says.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/SinglesSPElements.pdf

Susan
Fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

dancingqueen

On the Ice
Wow, Jeremy !! :clap:

I still can not find his SP in You Tube. Does anyone know that ?

But I’m still aware of the final result, being top in SP , it gets more pressure and skated in last also. And it often failed at the end. I hope he will make it.

ks777

Record Breaker
I am so happy for Vaughn Chipeur!! His coach was my favorite US skater.
I can see his improvement over the summer. He did a 3lutz/3toe and is that his first time ever doing a 3/3 in a competition? Hope he can get enough sponsorships to fund his trainning expenses!

decker

On the Ice
And now I have a rules question LOL

Borodulin planned all triple jumps for the SP. He actually executed a 2A, 3LZ+2T and 3F. Got slight +GOE on the axel. Negative on the combo, but he had an edge call on his lutz that would account for that.

How is it decided whether one performed a decent 2 or a <3? I would've called these intentional 2A and 2T myself. But I can't give you a real reason, nor do I have any qualifications ... like ever having skated in my life. They just didn't look like blown triples to me.

It seems to be important because Artem got much greater pointage for this 2A than any of the guys with a <3A solo jump at SA or SC. I'm citing other comps because I don't see a <3A for CoC to make a direct comparison.

Susan

Eevun

Final Flight
A really good question, I've been wondering about that too. Lets see if someone can give us two non-skater an easy explanation.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Borodulin planned all triple jumps for the SP. He actually executed a 2A, 3LZ+2T and 3F. Got slight +GOE on the axel. Negative on the combo, but he had an edge call on his lutz that would account for that.

How is it decided whether one performed a decent 2 or a <3? I would've called these intentional 2A and 2T myself. But I can't give you a real reason, nor do I have any qualifications ... like ever having skated in my life. They just didn't look like blown triples to me.

It seems to be important because Artem got much greater pointage for this 2A than any of the guys with a <3A solo jump at SA or SC. I'm citing other comps because I don't see a <3A for CoC to make a direct comparison.

Susan

The difference between a < 3A and a good 2A is just that - the skater rotates as close as they can to what would be a triple but is short on that rotation on the landing (more than a 1/4 turn) and so the attempted triple is given the dreaded "carrot of death". The dreaded carrot gives the skater a base value for a double (in this case 3.5 points) and carries a mandatory negative grade of execution. When it's clear that the skater decides to execute a double Axel instead, as long as a triple is not mandated, the GOE will be on the double and can be 0 or even + if it's well executed per the rules.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Jeremy Abbott was my pick for the CoC champion, and I'm SO happy that he's in the lead!!! :love: His SP was so beautiful... :bow:

I know that Kristoffer did a 2/3 combo instead of 3/3, but his marks seem kinda low because everything else looked fine to my (untrained) eyes. :confused: I guess he didn't get many high levels and/or +GOEs? Or maybe a jump was UR?

decker

On the Ice
... When it's clear that the skater decides to execute a double Axel instead, as long as a triple is not mandated, the GOE will be on the double and can be 0 or even + if it's well executed per the rules.

Thanks! So in essence, it's just that the tech panel is better qualified than I am to determine what constitutes a "clearly" intentional 2A? I can see where it might be subject to interpretation in some cases.

On the bright side, he got all level 4 spins and level 3 steps. (I pick a favorite from each batch who come up from juniors. This year it's Artem.)

Susan

Jeremy Abbott was my pick for the CoC champion, and I'm SO happy that he's in the lead!!! :love: His SP was so beautiful... :bow:

I know that Kristoffer did a 2/3 combo instead of 3/3, but his marks seem kinda low because everything else looked fine to my (untrained) eyes. :confused: I guess he didn't get many high levels and/or +GOEs? Or maybe a jump was UR?

Kristoffer got only a level 1 on his last spin and not-so-great PCS. High 5s to low 6s. His 3F got a !, but that only cost him .20.

Susan

Last edited by a moderator:

Eevun

Final Flight
He lost very much on that combo, maybe 4 points. Then he would have been 4th instead, not 6th as now.