2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Short Program

bobbob

Medalist
If the the scoring so far has been any indication, Russia is going to do very very well in the individual competition.

ALL OF THE RUSSIAN SKATERS HAVE BEEN MASSIVELY OVER-SCORED
First Plushenko
Then V/T
Then Borbora/Soloviev
The Stolbova/Klimov
and worst of all Julia
The Russian skater/team in every single segment has been massively over-scored. With this judging, we are in for a fun olympics.........

Ven

Match Penalty
Ukraine judges can basically be considered another Russian judge at this point.

bekalc

Record Breaker
You know what guys, the media who saw Julia live has been praising her big time. Nancy Aramour hardly a Russian bias, praised her jumps that they are taking of at high speed, and even a bit their height. Julia's jumps aren't as big as Kim's but she's also quite a bit smaller.... And Julia's speed. She didn't seem to think Julia was a jumper only.

I probably would have given it to Kostner or at least higher pcs to Kostner, but I think people are being unfair to Julia.

If it was so easy to win the Olympics at 15, how many actually do it. Some have but not many. By all accounts a big part of Julia's success is that she is an incredibly hard worker. You can see the improvements she's made. Comparing her to a wind up doll is unfair.

And I think she's developing into a beautiful skater.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
If the the scoring so far has been any indication, Russia is going to do very very well in the individual competition.

ALL OF THE RUSSIAN SKATERS HAVE BEEN MASSIVELY OVER-SCORED
First Plushenko
Then V/T
Then Borbora/Soloviev
The Stolbova/Klimov
and worst of all Julia
The Russian skater/team in every single segment has been massively over-scored. With this judging, we are in for a fun olympics.........

v/t deserved their scores imo

the rest of the scores are a joke especially the pcs

Ven

Match Penalty
Julia's jumps aren't as big as Kim's but she's also quite a bit smaller

It doesn't matter if she's smaller or not. You don't get different rules for 5'6 basketball players vs. 7 footers. You either have the physical tools or you don't. No excuses.

elif

Medalist
What are you, 10?
In my first post, I also cited Kexin Zhang. And they were both examples to showcase the unwarranted +1.40 for Julia's Flutz.
So, beyond what placement does your logic exclude fair marks needing to be attributed? "Since Weinzierl only finished 9th, she didn't deserve fair GOEs for her Lutz." OK, that's a great opinion, you should consider applying to become an ISU judge.
I wasn't questioning Julia had a great program, but I'm irritated with the attribution of GOEs which seem to pave the way for some major weirdness going on in the individual event.
But by all means, keep spewing your generic "you dare criticize the marks she got, so you must be a hater!" posts. They are quite entertaining in their own way.

WOW Some fans can't even understand a joke :laugh:

Lipnitskaia can bacome youngest gold medalist of figüre skating, If Russia wins gold tomorrow. :cool:

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
WOW Some fans can't even understand a joke :laugh:
Sorry, I really didn't get the joke. But please give me a chance, as I love to laugh. Where was the joke in this:
You will know Julia was better than others, when you had to came low as 9th (out of 10) place skater to compare a mere lutz. Sorry I can't resist.:laugh:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Thoughts:

Julia--I thought she skated fabulously.
Carolina--She skated fabulously also. So glad to see her finally have a great Olympic skate! (My how everyone is suddenly impressed enough to argue so vibrantly over her score, only a wee bit after Europeans). Smile.
Osmond--Good for her. Felt a little disjointed to me but great after being out so much of the season & at her first Olympics. She stepped up for Canada.
Ashley--I'll take it. That combo just isn't solid, and I'd much rather see her doing a clean triple double; but the winds have changed and even the lower skaters are working the 3-3 combination.
He Kexin (I probably misspelled that)-Great skate for her. She has no expression whatsoever, and I'm sorry China didn't go with their best shot in this event to make the final; but this young lady certainly stepped up.
Popova--Wow! That is hands down the best skate I've ever seen her do. So happy for her.
Germany--Ouch.
Mae-This is definitely my favorite program by her. I think for an Olympic debut, she did very well, though not her best outing of the season. France did a respectable job here. Just one point out! Italy seriously needed Carolina.
Mao--Drat! Come on, Mao. Bring on the fighter!

Overall thoughts: Consistency is working in the team event. The risks just aren't paying off, and the consistent performers are doing their job.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Carolina's program was the best in terms of artistry and emotional impact. But the scoring system doesn't take that into account. That is why, under IJS, the best programs often come in second. I'm thinking, for instance, of Takahashi at 2012 Japan Nationals or 2012 Worlds, or Akiko Suzuki at 2012 NHK. Within the IJS parameters, I think the scoring was correct. Julia won on the TES score, not the second mark.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It doesn't matter if she's smaller or not. You don't get different rules for 5'6 basketball players vs. 7 footers. You either have the physical tools or you don't. No excuses.

There isn't a mark for "big" jumps. That is just one of several factors that are supposed to be considered for GOE. It is very possible to get +2 GOE with a "small" jump.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Isabel_O'Reilly said:
What I am completely sick and tired of is people ragging on Julia because of her age... Why does everyone say the judges got it wrong, there's a conspiracy, or she did not deserve this when they don't agree with the score.

What does it have to do with her age? It's the way she skates.
Why does everyone say the judges got it wrong? Because you can go watch a video and pause at the right moment to see that she takes off on an inside edge in der Lutz - no 'oh her Lutz is just borderline sometimes' or whatever - just take a look at that one small scene and you can see it too. That has nothing to do with an opinion, that's a fact.
PCS contains subjective categories, true, but Skating Skills is not one of them. It is something that is actually, at least to a certain extent, objective. And in pretty much everything related to that Kostner is better than Julia, yet there was even a judge who marked Julia higher on SS than Caro. That's again not an opinion, it's a fact that this is wrong. I couldn't care less about any stupid explanation from being biased or influenced by the audience or getting forced or paid for that or maybe the judges are all really just a tad stupi; but the outcome is wrong. Julias marks were too high. It's fine saying she deserved to lead (I think she rightfully beat Kostner too), but playing the 'who are you to say what the judges do is wrong card' will not help you in this case.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Frenchie said:
Sorry, I really didn't get the joke. But please give me a chance, as I love to laugh. Where was the joke in this:

How could you not get that -this comment itself obviously was a bad joke. I mean, how good could she have been if you can go as far down as 9th out of only 10 people and already find someone who should have scored higher on what supossedly was Julias strongest element. That's what a real joke is :biggrin:

emma

Record Breaker
^Mrs. P...i'm not doing the wuzbobbed thing either - I thoroughly enjoyed Julia although I would have liked to see lower GOE on the lutz (despite the excellent combo), and perhaps lower PCS. But, as I wrote much earlier, Caro brought me to tears. Really magnificent skating and lovely program all around.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^Mrs. P...i'm not doing the wuzbobbed thing either - I thoroughly enjoyed Julia although I would have liked to see lower GOE on the lutz (despite the excellent combo), and perhaps lower PCS. But, as I wrote much earlier, Caro brought me to tears. Really magnificent skating and lovely program all around.

Carolina was absolutely gorgeous! I'm really glad she had a clean SP after struggling in past Olympics.

ETA: Julia is trending on Facebook right now. Lots of impressed casual fans. Clearly there's a bit of a disconnect between hard-core fans and casual fans (and maybe those watching live?).

emma

Record Breaker
^yes, probably on both counts (causal fans, live). The thing is, and like Sasha Cohen, she has such presence -truly hard to take your eyes off her - and, her crazy flexiblity and great jumps (even if we might critique them a bit) really do capture people. A friend of mine called during the event asking me, 'and who is this Russian phenom'...and she is.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^yes, probably on both counts (causal fans, live). The thing is, and like Sasha Cohen, she has such presence -truly hard to take your eyes off her - and, her crazy flexiblity and great jumps (even if we might critique them a bit) really do capture people. A friend of mine called during the event asking me, 'and who is this Russian phenom'...and she is.

I'd really like to see her live someday...I feel like she's one of those types who is a lot more impressive in person.

urara

Rinkside
I'm sorry but the loud "Russia! Russia!" calls from spectators annoyed me. I've never seen such scenes in figure skating.
All skaters who skated after Russians made big mistakes; Jeremy, VM, and this time Mao.
It must have been tough to skate in that atmosphere.

Some may say this is sport including the "away" situation, but it looks too much to me.
This is an event only taken place once every 4 years, and many skaters put everything into this Olympics.
The spectators have a right to cheer their favorites, but also need to set the environment so that skaters can concentrate, I think.
The judges should show more respect to non Russian skaters, too. I cannot get some scores.

Please ignore if this is off topic.