2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program | Page 84 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
wake up to fantasy land people

"Queen Yuna" may have 3LZ-3T but doesn't mean she has the best jumps

Fact No. 1
# Sotnikova triple toes are enormou, a non clear you could almost see as if she is doing a quad toe

vegarin

On the Ice
Sotnikova's jumps are better than Kim's. Everyone knew that, a long time ago that outside of the Lutz Sotnikova has an edge there. Sotnikova has a Loop, though, which KIM does not have so she will have a 1 triple advantage in the FS, meaning she can fall on a Triple Lutz and still have a BV advantage over Kim.

:rolleye:

Oh, here we go. Seriously, revisionist history much?

chloepoco

Medalist
WHAT A COMPETITION. Elated for Carolina. Celestial performance. She should have been second in my opinion. I am absolutely shocked and heartbroken for Mao. What happened?!? Never would I have imagined that she could land in 16th place. Adelina was good, but I still dislike her program although she skated it brilliantly. And Akiko? So sad, but such a joyous performance even after the fall. Unexpected performance from Yulia, she started so strong. It must have been the tension, she is a kid and she was placed in such a difficult place. I am sure she will fight tomorrow.
I hope for a strong LP from Mao, she needs it for her soul. And obviously I hope for Caro to lift the roof off the ice-dome with long program. Forza Caro!

Oh gosh, so if Mao, Akiko and Kanako don't make any improvements, and this were Worlds, does that mean Japan would lose a spot?

tokugawaice

Rinkside
What Mao needs to get the OGM

Skate the program of her LIFE 150 to go from 55 to 205. Adelina, Yuna, Kostner all need to score below 130. Probable? No. Possible? Yes! :biggrin:

Barb

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Yuna, Adelina, Carolina and Gracie. They did it great.
But I can not stop of crying for Mao, ok, she will be my favorite skater forever, but I am so sad for her

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Awe please do not put Ashley in the same category as Kerrigan......Kerrigan always came off as a snotty rich *****

Off topic, but Kerrigan came from a working-class family, I believe? They were not rich at all, IIRC.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
All I want to say about this competition is that I am so so so happy for Carolina. Finally. :love:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yuuuup, no flutz called on Julia... should be behind Wagner right now. Also, Wagner's 3T was called as <<. I was wondering why she didn't clear 67.

I actually thought Kostner's 3T was UR'ed but looks ratified. To me she had the skate of the night. That was absolute bliss, and what a lovely surprise to see her upgrade her tech content. :clap:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Sotnikova's jumps are better than Kim's. Everyone knew that, a long time ago that outside of the Lutz Sotnikova has an edge there. Sotnikova has a Loop, though, which KIM does not have so she will have a 1 triple advantage in the FS, meaning she can fall on a Triple Lutz and still have a BV advantage over Kim.

Sotnikova's spins are in another dimension compared to Kim's. The Combo spin is WAY more stretched out. Her Layback is Level 4 and WAY better than Kim's. Her Flying Camel Spin leave's Kim's in the dust.

She did transitions out of her Triple Flip and Double Axel (the latter into a Twizzle Straignt into her L4 LBSp).

That first combination could have been a Quad-Triple with the amount of height she got on the first jump, with no rotational questions and immaculate landings. She probably got all +3's for that combination (and it would be deserved).

take that Yuna Kim !!
not even the so called Kim Yuna can have that type of a jump

liliyagudin

Rinkside
I'm so sad for Mao, she's one of my favorite skaters... Tomorrow, it will be hard for Yuna, Carolina and Adelina, but I think Yuna puts up with pressure and stress better than Carolina and perhaps Adelina. I only hope that they will skate the best they can (not as for men...).

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
What a great system as far as Russian skaters are concerned, If your favourite goes first and falters, Throw all your eggs in the other one's basket.

Worked in Ice dance a few days ago, And now Sotnikova triumphs over a beautiful Kostner with a 3t-3t, Should've been 3rd and 6th indeed.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Should be:

1. Yuna 76+

2. Carolina 72-73

3. Adelina ~70

4. Gracie ~66

These would be my scores:

1. Kostner 78. Such beautiful skating. Should have all been high 9s and 10s on PCS.
2. Kim 77. Best jumps, and better spins than Kostner, but PCS not as good.
3. Sotnikova 69. Jumps good, but not as good as Kim and Kostner, spins the best, mediocre PCS, mediocre footwork.
4. Gold 69. Jumps better than Sotnikova, spins about the same, a bit lower in PCS.
8. Julia 61. When she falls she has nothing to hold her up other than strong spins.

Oh gosh, so if Mao, Akiko and Kanako don't make any improvements, and this were Worlds, does that mean Japan would lose a spot?

I think if this were Worlds, yes. So they'd all better skate lights out at Worlds. I hope this event is just a terrible aberration, and they resume their fine form tomorrow--and at Worlds! (Oh, no, more reason to lose sleep.)

hurrah

Medalist
Oh, noooo Mao. I am still in a daze. The way she fell apart was too, too devastating! Mind you, Miki Ando has gone there, as has Carolina Kostner in the past, but for it to happen to Mao when she was in such great shape!!

Maybe she wanted gold or nothing, and she wanted gold doing the triple-axel or nothing, and so as soon as she didn't do the axel, that was it. :cry:

Well, hopefully she can do a good fp tomorrow. I hope she'll nail that axel.

And good luck to the rest of the skaters!

BlackPack

Medalist
Oh, Mao!

How devastating. I am so glad I won't have to watch this for the first time tonight, but even knowing the outcome ahead of time isn't going to make it any easier. What on Earth happened to her?

And Akiko as well. Such a delightful skater to watch, fresh and original. If only she had been able to do her skating justice this time around.

I can only hope that tomorrow night both will skate their best and leave Olympic ice with the satisfaction of a great program.

I'm sorry Julia fell. I hope she can pull herself together and shake it off for the free skate.

I think we're all going to need heart transplants when this competition is done, because we will have used up our lifetime's ration of speedy heartbeats on figure skating here.

What didn't go wrong!?!?!?! :eek: I'm so heartbroken!!!!

She splat on the 3axel. The 3flip was under-rotated. She attempted a loop but couldn't complete it. No combo. She lost at least 13 points from the jumps alone. That didn't sting the most... it was the fact that -

She lost all fight. It was the skating of a defeated champion. It was really the lack of hope that was so devastating.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
It really annoys me when some claim Adelina scored so high because it is in Russia. There were no Russian judges on the panel. I thought she really put it out there and was marked accordingly. I think the Judges got it right today. And any thing can happen in the Free Skate so every one will have to be clean and skate their best. Like it should be.