2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program | Page 86 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
These would be my scores:

1. Kostner 78. Such beautiful skating. Should have all been high 9s and 10s on PCS.
2. Kim 77. Best jumps, and better spins than Kostner, but PCS not as good.
3. Sotnikova 69. Jumps good, but not as good as Kim and Kostner, spins the best, mediocre PCS, mediocre footwork.

I'd probably have Kostner a point ahead of Yuna too but am happy with the placements and very proud of Caro for conquering her demons. Sotnikova and Yuna had the same TES so I wouldn't have had Yuna 8 points ahead of Adelina on PCS. That is like the difference between Yuna and Polina/Mae Berenice and Sotnikova is far far better than those tow.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I totally agree that Adelina skated that like her life depended on it. Not a single 0 on her GOE!

Her footwork sequence was on fire, and I finally felt the Carmen interpretation from her. A difference that put her close to Yu Na and past Kostner was her StSq4. She scored 5.40 on it, while Kim had 4.44 and Kostner had 4.80.

In fact, Sotnikova outscored Kostner on all her elements (other than her easier 3-3 of course) and the same score on her solo jump as Kostner.

Caro should win in footworks though
deserved all level 4 with the highest GOES
nevereneding

Antilopa

On the Ice
Praying for the podium Yuna, Adelina, Julia! Come on, guys, Julia can come back stronger than ever and more hungry than ever for that medal! Carolina and Adelina are qustion marks in the LP, but i believe in Adelina! Also, Julia's PB is a lot higher than Adelina's and Carolina's, so.... anyway, i was shaking today, i think i will need to call an ambulance tomorrow!
I'm praying with you. and for brilliant fs perfomance for Mao with her stupid 3Axls

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
BTW, what a figher Julia was. That was one of the best spins she has done in a while after a fall! Perfectly centered!

Her layback was great! One judge accidentally gave it -3, unless they saw something nobody else did.

But as for her final spin, it should NOT have received +3's... her camel was way off and her sit shifted over too. The upright spin however was great.

imisscohen

On the Ice
Starting order for the final group in the FS:

19 RUS Yulia LIPNITSKAYA
20 ITA Carolina KOSTNER
21 RUS Adelina SOTNIKOVA
22 USA Gracie GOLD
23 USA Ashley WAGNER
24 KOR Yuna KIM

Excellent!!

Go Yuna and Ashley!! Ashley has no shot at a medal, barring epic meltdowns beyond the men's free skate, but fight on!

Panini

On the Ice
Sotnikova's jumps are better than Kim's. Everyone knew that, a long time ago that outside of the Lutz Sotnikova has an edge there. Sotnikova has a Loop, though, which KIM does not have so she will have a 1 triple advantage in the FS, meaning she can fall on a Triple Lutz and still have a BV advantage over Kim.

Sotnikova's spins are in another dimension compared to Kim's. The Combo spin is WAY more stretched out. Her Layback is Level 4 and WAY better than Kim's. Her Flying Camel Spin leave's Kim's in the dust.

She did transitions out of her Triple Flip and Double Axel (the latter into a Twizzle Straignt into her L4 LBSp).

That first combination could have been a Quad-Triple with the amount of height she got on the first jump, with no rotational questions and immaculate landings. She probably got all +3's for that combination (and it would be deserved).

Kim telegraphs more compared to Sotnikova. Sotnikova goes straight into her 3F from steps, Kim takes a bathroom break going into that jump and Sotnikova's transitions into that jump are way more difficult than Kim's.

Kim got a level 3 Step Sequence, Sotnikova didn't IIRC.

Sotnikova performed that program like her life was on the line. I've never seen her sell that program as much as she did, and she added in more choreography (that made sense, hopefully she doesn't wave during the Spiral in her FS cause I'm at a lost for that) which really improved the program. She was amazing.

I do feel like we're finally getting to a point where the younger skaters like Gold, Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Edmunds, etc. aren't being penalized because they were "born too late" and it's actually kind of refreshing to see.

Kostner was beautiful, but I think Sotnikova outperformed everyone in the field and apart from Kostner and Sotnikova everyone performed like they were on their way to the Guillotine. Kim was solid, but you could tell she was quite nervous.

Tl;dr. Well if Adelina is that good, here's hoping you won't have to resort to wishing for Yuna or Carolina to fall tomorrow like you did today.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
It is really disappointing to see the scoring. There was an upward trend in the scores even when the performances did not really get better than Kim Yu Na earlier on. Kostner should be 70 with her technical content and Adenia 69 with her horrible program. I still see Kim Yu Na winning since she never wilts.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
After this competition, I think that the first thing Adelina should do is learning the quad toe-loop. Among ladies, I've never seen such a high triple toe. Ever.

Sotnikova is training quad toe jumps
she plans to do a quad and compete with the men, she has been joking about that on the press

lavender

Record Breaker
I love Mao and I was really hoping for her but I just don’t get her strategy to keep doing that 3 axel when I a 3/3 would do the trick.

I thought some people hated Adelina but now they are all up on her bandwagon. That is like he quickest turnaround. How weird.:laugh:

Icey

Record Breaker
Sad, sad ending for Mao. Too bad she wasn't age eligible for Torino. That was her golden time imo and she would probably have a gold medal then. Don't see how she will find the spirit to continue this competition and what a sad way to end her competitive career.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Struck me more as a cheerleader with great acrobatics than a passionate femme fatale. Interpretation-wise I'd rather rewatch Samantha Cesario's Carmen. YMMV of course.

To each his/her own Carmen, I suppose, but a wild gypsy child is probably not the type to do Beillmanns. Sotnikova has one of the most inventive programs I've seen, both SP & LP, great marks to her for taking risks.

Kim skated very well and had great jumps, her 3-3 is amazing, both equal in height, distance, speed, nothing to scoff at. Still, she didn't have a very strong or expressive program, I don't get Kim's personality here, it didn't shine through like Bond or Gershwin, and her SP is eclipsed by the fiery Russian Carmen's. Very sad for Mao, but she has been losing it over this quad, even during the GPF, she made many mistakes. Hope she will skate her best tomorrow and fight her way back up to the podium.:yay:

Greekmango

Rinkside
Johnsmith, agreed. Yulia's fall: https://vine.co/v/MZwElgA2mgi is here for anyone who wants to see it.

Also have other Vine videos. Including Adelina's short. Devastated for Mao. What a legend. The score for Adelina is shameful. She was good, but not great. An insult to the quality of performance by Yuna as well. You wonder why people think figure skating is not a sport. It's not. It's not different than Prix de Lausanne.

It is really disappointing to see the scoring. There was an upward trend in the scores even when the performances did not really get better than Kim Yu Na earlier on. Kostner should be 70 with her technical content and Adenia 69 with her horrible program. I still see Kim Yu Na winning since she never wilts.