Good Morning America-should Kwan Get Bye | Golden Skate

Good Morning America-should Kwan Get Bye

millie

Medalist
Good Morning America-coming up this morning. They will be talking about should Kwan get a bye to the Olympics without skating at Nationals. Though you would like to know.

Lucy25

Final Flight
millie said:
Good Morning America-coming up this morning. They will be talking about should Kwan get a bye to the Olympics without skating at Nationals. Though you would like to know.
I'm at work, could you let us know what was said? Thanks!

bluecatskater

Rinkside
I saw a little of this, got in on it late, but Christine Brennen and Tara Lipinski both were in favor of Michelle getting to go to Olympics because she is 9 time US Champ and 4 time World Champ, and is the only one other than Sasha to have Olympic and World experience. They did make the point several times that at age 25 this would be Michelle's last chance for the Olympics and also that she has made it clear that if she is chosen and is not 100% that she would take herself out.
They brought up Nancy Kerrigan and her situation in 1994. She was allowed to go to Olympics without competing at Nationals and who was the skater left out because of it? Michelle Kwan.
That's what I remember.
Cathy

soogar

Record Breaker
Well positive comments b/c they are either not in the running to go to the Olympics or already gone and won their OGMs (Sarah and Tara). Plus if Tara said she shouldn't go, and Tara commented on how the 3rd girl will be "shattered" (on FSU), Tara would have been roasted for being "jealous" of Kwan or an evil person (like posters love to do when Tara does anything).

Think about that hundreds of thousands of dollars that these parents spend on their kids training and ask yourself whether it is fair to put someone on the team who hasn't competed in regular competition for 3 years, was injured for this season and as not competed at all, and managed a 4rth place finish with mediocre skates. Very weak grounds to put someone on an Olympic team. A world medal wasn't enough to give Bobek and Trenary byes, and presumably they left Trenary off b/c she didn't have the technical merit to compete successfully aftre figures were dropped. Using that reasoning, Michelle with no 3-3s or a loop is going to have a very tough time competing.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
I don't like Tara therefore I have no further comment about her. I don't care what she says or does.:rofl:

I want to know how you, soogar, know that Kwan has no 3/3 or loop. Have you been watching her practice? Have you seen her LP? I know you don't like Kwan, don't want her to go, but you can't say Kwan doesn't have this or that if you haven't been watching her practice.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
soogar said:
Think about that hundreds of thousands of dollars that these parents spend on their kids training and ask yourself whether it is fair to put someone on the team who hasn't competed in regular competition for 3 years, was injured for this season and as not competed at all, and managed a 4rth place finish with mediocre skates. Very weak grounds to put someone on an Olympic team.

Unless these kids can even touch top 5 in the US on their best days I doubt that their parents can't fathom why Michelle deserves that spot. Until the end of this week Michelle is still the reigning US Champ (her Worlds and other National titles speak for themselves).

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I'm somewhat skeptical of how "shattered" the bumped lady really will be. After all, when Michelle was bumped, she wasn't all that shattered -- and her career wasn't permanently hurt, either. My guess is that whoever gets bumped sees herself more as the next Michelle Kwan than as the next Mark Mitchell.

Also, one advantage that Michelle (or the bumped lady) will have is that the popularity that comes with graciousness in disappointment is not lost by competitive results. Michelle not only failed to win the OGM twice, but she wasn't even the highest ranking American -- and she has had all the things (TV specials; endorsements) that once upon a time only came with an OGM. The bumped lady can have the same.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
realistic51 said:
I don't like Tara therefore I have no further comment about her. I don't care what she says or does.:rofl:

I want to know how you, soogar, know that Kwan has no 3/3 or loop. Have you been watching her practice? Have you seen her LP? I know you don't like Kwan, don't want her to go, but you can't say Kwan doesn't have this or that if you haven't been watching her practice.

Well gee, she has been injured all season, when she was healthy last season she started leaving out the loop and she hasn't done a 3-3 in years. If Michelle had all these jumps in her repertoir, she would have gone to Nationals and kicked Sasha's a$$ and not have filed a petition to put herself on the team. In fact, if she is doing those jumps now, it would be fraudulent to file an injury petition and for that reason alone, she shouldn't be permitted to be on the team. Lest everyone think that I think Michelle is "faking" injury, from what I've seen at Marshall's, her injury is real. I'm just addressing the issue that since I don't see Michelle's practices, I don't know what she has. Granted I don't watch Michelle's practices, but from the way she looked at Marshall's combined with an additional injury that curtailed her recovery process, combined with the fact that these are technical elements that she hasn't done in years, well it's safe to say that she is not practicing these elements at the moment.

JOHIO2

Medalist
soogar,

I disagree that Michelle hasn't competed in two years. She won last years' US Nationals and was barely off the podium in fourth at last years' Worlds. Frankly, an old, injured Kwan is still better than many of the youngsters who could have that great skate this week and have reached the height of their career doing so.

Also, if Michelle can skate, she is always in the competitive mix. If the USFSA gives her the bye and she can't skate, she is classy enough to pull out and give that alternate the Olympic experience. The fed and the docs and coaches and Michelle herself can decide and that's okay with me. I'd truly like to see her go, but it won't ruin my universe if she doesn't.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Given that Kwan was bumped from the Olympic squad in '94 (for Nancy Kerrigan who was injured), won 2 Olympic medals and 5 (?) world titles since then, I think the USFSA owes her one.

If the other ladies besides Cohen and Cznick were in the running for Olympic gold (Cznick being an outside chance) it would be a whole different can o beans, but they are not.

If she is unable to skate she said she will take herself out of the competition.

tommyk75

Rinkside
One thing that came to mind...

Didn't Paul Wylie get a special bye into the Olympics where he won the silver??? I seemed to remember quite a bit of controversy where Mark Mitchell finished ahead of Paul in the Nationals but Paul was given the Olympic spot... Am I remembering this wrong, or did it happen, and if it did, what was the USFSA's reasoning?

FreeKatie

On the Ice
There was a lot of controversy over Paul's selection to the Olympic team. People were really angry until he won the silver medal (IMO should have won the gold)

soogar

Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
soogar,

I disagree that Michelle hasn't competed in two years. She won last years' US Nationals and was barely off the podium in fourth at last years' Worlds. Frankly, an old, injured Kwan is still better than many of the youngsters who could have that great skate this week and have reached the height of their career doing so.

Also, if Michelle can skate, she is always in the competitive mix. If the USFSA gives her the bye and she can't skate, she is classy enough to pull out and give that alternate the Olympic experience. The fed and the docs and coaches and Michelle herself can decide and that's okay with me. I'd truly like to see her go, but it won't ruin my universe if she doesn't.

Really? An "old", injured Kwan could not manage any triples at Marshalls. How is that better than the triples that Bebe and Emily can do (in addition to Meissner)? Michelle was capable of "skating" at Marshall's, but she wasn't competitive at all. The USFS will make whatever decision it wishes, though I certainly hope its decision is fair and not based on the fact that Michelle is a spokesperson for many of the USFS sponsors (similar accusations were made about Miki).

cianni

On the Ice
Please

Sooger you sound very young. I suggest you take a cold shower and think before posting. Its like you against the board of posters. No more responses to your posts .I will ignore.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Sooger Kwan was not 100% or back to competetive form at Marshall's. She plans to be better by the Olympics.

Cianni, Soogar's cool. She's the little plastic umbrella in the GS pina colada that is always poking us in the nose. This board would be boring without her. :)

Bosman805

Spectator
I frankly don't get all the hand wringing and teeth gnashing over Michelle's potential bye shattering the dreams of a young skater. If Michelle were healthy and skating she would no doubt make the team along with Sasha. That leaves one spot to fill with an up-and-comer. Just as it is now.

Well, now we've seen what the next generation are bringing, compared to Kwan (at least in the short program). There is still the LP to go, but Michelle's case just got a big boost, IMHO.

MM :)