Kwan chosen by committee to go to Olys. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kwan chosen by committee to go to Olys.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I don't agree, at least not at this stage. One issue is whether Michelle should be punished for being nice by being criticized for seeking the same right granted to Todd Eldredge, Meno & Sand and other athletes who weren't whacked -- the right to seek a medical bye -- and get sent to the Olys, over young skaters who competed at Nats. It was OK for Todd, or for Meno & Sand, why isn't it OK for Michelle? Certainly, this kind of criticism for Michelle will not encourage other skaters to be nice.

The second is when the Olympics should be the time for giving experience to young skaters, as opposed to sending the best, even when the best couldn't compete at Nats. In all the discussion over who should and shouldn't go, I have not found a lot of people who think that Emily is actually better than Kan.

I don't think whether Michelle is nice or not (and that's certainly opinion based) has anything to do with her conditional placement on the Oly team. IMO it's about picking the best Ladies team to represent the US at the 2006 Oly's, which has nothing to do with Todd, Meno/Sand, or any other past skaters/teams.

While Emily is a promising young skater, I don't think you WILL find anyone suggesting that Emily has better Oly performance prospects than a healthy Kwan.

Competition is tough sometimes, but this one is also fair IMO.

DG

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The thing about Kwan being left off in 94 is a non issue, IMO. She was the alternate and wasn't needed. I'm sure the USFSOC are still kicking themselves over that one though. The only person who is happy when an alternate has to go is the alternate.

Sorry I wrote such a long Off-topic post. Back OT, IMO, no special considerations were given Michelle nor will they be when she skates for the panel on whatever day it is. I think even a 75-80% Michelle will be more likely to win a medal than Emily, no disrespect to Emily intended. She's just young and inexperienced.

Michelle knows how to step up to the plate in pressure-filled competitions, and you don't get much more pressure than the Olympics. So she only has one COP experience. Her programs were choreographed by the "squeeze every point out of the system" CEO, Tarasova, but they are also beautiful, musical, with great music, and have a sense of flow you either have or you don't as a choreographer. Tarasova definitely has that X factor.

So does Michelle. Besides the X factor, she has magnificent technique, edges to die for, and so many qualities that are just part of her breathing it would be another loooooooooooooooooong Rgirl post for me to name them.

I don't like making predictions, but when I've predicted that Michelle would win the OGM in Torino and then she'd have a full set of Olympic medals--gold, silver, and bronze--I've been absolutlely serious about that.

Of course the groin injury concerns me; I'd be a fool not to be concerns. But being concerned is one part of my brain talking. Having faith and seeing the proof to back it up that Michelle has the X factor of a one in a million competitor, plus the consistency to back that up, well, I can't quantify it all I can do is say I feel it--and I am by no means a "Kwaniac" (don't mean to be rude; just don't know what the accepted term is these days). Don't get me wrong. I like and often love Michelle's skating. I just won't eat chicken and Junior Mints.;)

And if, by chance, Dame Fate should negatively interfere and Michelle should sustain a reinjure and be unable to skate, I think she will be most gracious in giving her spot to Emily.

As she once said, "In 1998, I thought if I didn't win I'd die. Well, I didn't win and I didn't die." I don't have any quotes from 2002, but I can only imagine that she matured even more as a person under those circumstances. I think Michelle will be able to handle anything with grace and a "big picture" kind of attitude. The question is, will her ardent fans be able to take it? :cry:

But like I've been saying, I can't quantiify it except to say it's based on Michelle's experience, but my heart says, "Michelle Kwan, Olympic Gold Medalist, 2006." :)

Rgirl

R.D.

Record Breaker
flowjo35 said:
Back on topic. Michelle has stated that if she was not ready she would withdraw her name from the olympic team. She would not want to go the olympics and not skate the best that she can medal or not. A healthy Michelle is one of the best US ladies skaters we have and hopefully she will be ready to go come olympic time.

But to live up to my title, a statement is just that...a STATEMENT. Now let's see if she'll back it up by her actions if she really doesn't feel up to the task. (Not saying I don't trust her, but I'm just bringing the point home.)

cianni

On the Ice
Perfect

Thanks Rgirl, Im with you on this one. I have that gut feeling Michelle will skate 2 Knock your Lights out programs and win the 2006 OGM. This is the upset thats a coming since Irina and Sasha have already won and the skating hasnt even begun. Im enjoying the posts this season because the winners have been named already by the fans who post. Things arnt always as they seem. You expressed my thoughts perfectly.

Vash01

Medalist
Since there are so many doubters, I think Michelle is going to surprise everyone by skating great and she may even win the OGM in Turin.

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree with the first part, but I still think it's a long shot for her to win. A podium spot- very possible if not favorable...but Gold? No way. If she manages to win I believe it would be out of pure luck (someone else messes up, etc.) and math.

flowjo35

On the Ice
After all the media about whether or not she should have gotten a bye, I think that if she is not ready, she will not go. I am hopeful that if she goes she will prove a lot of people wrong and medal. At this point a medal of any color would be great.:)

Last edited:
flowjo35 said:
After all the media about whether or not she should have gotten a bye, I think that if she is not ready, she will not go. I am hopeful that if she goes she will prove a lot of people wrong and medal. At this point a medal of any color would be great.:)
I think most sensible fans would agree that Michelle will not go if she herself does not think she is able.

Joe

Eldredgefan2001

Rinkside
nymkfan51 said:
No, this is incorrect. Emily does not deserve anything just because she competed at Nats and won a bronze. She only got that placement because Michelle was injured and not able to be there.
There was a precedent for MK to receive a bye, and rightfully she was given one.
The only real thing that matters is sending the best team to the Olympics ... and that's what they are doing. Emily's 4 triple LP just won't get it done.

Skaters get injured all of the time. That doesn't mean that she didn't deserve that placement. MK has been "missing in action" for the majority of the 4 years since the 2002 Olympics. Now, suddenly she wants to represent the US in the Olympics, when she didn't want to represent them in any of the other international competitions that the USFSA wanted her to compete in.

Emily DID deserve that spot, but that doesn't mean that the US would give it to her. They gave the spot to Michelle, simply because of the endorsement factor and her name. That's all. But, I hope that she HAS recovered from her injuries by the time the Olympics roll around. If not, the media is going to have a field day with this one.

As far as Emily skating a 4 triple program at Nationals, I don't know what that has to do with anything. Who says that same thing would happen at the Olympics? Who says that Michelle Kwan will come out and skate the way her fans are praying she will (or any other skater for that matter)? No one knows, and I really don't care anymore. This entire thing is beginning to make my stomach turn. Can't wait until this season is over. BRING ON THE NEW SEASON!

Nice post Kathie - My stomach is holding up but it comes down to those who love Kwan and those who do not. Since I'm obliged to read everything, I've become accustomed to the posters and skim over what they say either pro or con on these matters. There are some posters, however, manage to stay on the issues. That's what keeps my stomach in better condition.

Your points about MK and the entire run of international competitions is right on. Maybe it was the injuries during the season but no matter, suddenly she believes she is well enough to skate the Olys. hmmm.

As for Emily. She is not entitled to go. Only the 1st place is entitled to go. The other two places are what the USFS select for whatever reasons.

Joe

cianni

On the Ice
Joesitz Got a Ques for Ya

I do believe Michelle will not go if she feels shes not healed or ready. I understand your point of view but from what I understood the Drs. who have examined her and worked with her injury have given her the OK sign. Do you think or are you implying the Drs. are being dishonest in their reports about her injury. Its not if Michelle thinks she can skate its the medical staff who cleared her and I dont think they would clear anyone to do what she has to do to compete if there was any doubt that the injury was healed completely. I cant imagine any DR. I have worked with clearing a PT. to work or play sports unless he was absolutely sure the PT. was ready. This isnt Michelle deciding if the body is strong and healed its the medical team saying it is. Can you be clear about your posts which imply she stiil is injured and wont be ready. Im believeing her team will not let her skate if she isnt strong and ready. These Drs reputations are on the line here.

I just wanted to note Kathy's comments and it did give me rise to the fact that MK has not skated competitions since Worlds, and she expects to skate in the Olys because she will be well. It does sound a bit strange. However, I am hoping all will be well and the bye will prove itself to be the right thing.

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Eldredgefan2001 said:
Skaters get injured all of the time. That doesn't mean that she didn't deserve that placement. MK has been "missing in action" for the majority of the 4 years since the 2002 Olympics. Now, suddenly she wants to represent the US in the Olympics, when she didn't want to represent them in any of the other international competitions that the USFSA wanted her to compete in.
Kwan has only missed the GP series which under the rules was her right to do so. D&V, FP&M, and Silvia Fontana are all going to the Olympics and they have not skated in anything since the 2002 Olympics....D&V did Europeans this year and I think one GP event. D&S are going to the Olympics without skating at Europeans. Irina missed Russian Nationals. Kwan has represented the US at more events than any other skater in history AND she has given the US three places at Worlds and the Olympics for how many years now? She was given her bye fair and square under the RULES what about that do you not understand? All of you that are so hellbent on Kwan not getting a bye need to put your energy into petitioning the USFSOC to change its bylaws or else LET IT GO!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually, I think the naysayers have a valid reason to argue against her going. But the fact does remain that she IS going (unless she can't).

Although I generally support MK being on the team over Hughes, I must say that THE PAST HAS NO INDICATION OF HOW KWAN WILL DO IN TORINO SHOULD SHE GO. In other words, it doesn't matter what she did for the US or how many spots she gave them. (forget the argument about the US having 3 spots for Torino for a sec.) Also, MK is not going to worlds- Hughes is- and THAT's WHAT COUNTS toward how many spots the US gets, NOT Torino. What does matter is DOES SHE (MK) HAVE IT IN HER to do well in Torino, and place higher than Hughes if she went? I personally think the answer would be yes in most cases (unless she is too injured to go). On the flip side it WOULD be nice for Emily to get the Olympic experience. But hey, there's always 2010...and Kimmie gets the opportunity to experience the Olys in 2006 before zeroing in on 2010 for the Gold.

easygoer13

Spectator
amykaren said:
Michelle deserves to go if she is ready, Im suprised that theres even any controversy about it. Best of luck to her there! :agree:
You're surprised that there's any controversy to it?!?!? Stunning, truly stunning......because you are supposed to EARN your spot in the Olympic trials, and injuries are a part of sports - and the beautiful sport of figure skating is tarnished by the people who run it, yet again.

"Break a leg, Michelle." What a diva!

easygoer13

Spectator
1994 Involved a criminal act, an assault!

IndieBoi said:
Ability-wise, Michelle deserves to go because (I'd argue that) at 90% she's still far more competitive than Emily, let alone at 100%, which she intends to be by the Olympics. She was also the reigning US champ and the was the second highest ranked US skater at 2005 Worlds after Cohen.

Rule-book-wise, Michelle deserves to go as there ARE exceptions for unusual circumstances such as this one, which also happened in 1994. Noone is overriding any rule to give Michelle a spot.

1994 involved a criminal attack for crying out loud! What a completely off-point comparison. Injuries are a part of sports, and awards are to be won in competition, not voted by a group of cronies with an eye on the Nielsen ratings.

Furthermore, the wrong thing was done in 1994, it is unfortunate that Michelle got screwed in 1994 but it wasn't Emily who screwed her. If anyone should have lost a slot then, it was Tonya Harding, and not Michelle.

People love Figure Skating but most sports fans have about as much respect for the integrity of the sport as they do for boxing....and deservedly so. It might make sense to figure skating fans that this "is not against the rules" but it certainly does not make sense to sports fans, more generally. People can smell the odor on this one.
I will never look at Michelle Kwan in the same way again, because her having taken Emily's slot was a very, very selfish and pernicious act.

"Break a leg, Michelle!"

easygoer13

Spectator
Another easy call: Indianapolis Colts deserve another chance!

slutskayafan21 said:
I saw Emily's skate. Even a wounded Michelle would have beaten that hands down, no disrespect to Emily. The young girls did not step up, the bye was an easy call.

I mean, hey, why decide it on the football field, ya know? Everyone "knows" that the Colts are the best team in the 2006 playoffs.

"Break a leg, Michelle!"

Hi, Easygoer. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Forum.

I half agree and half disagree with what you are saying here. The part I agree with is, this controversy has the potential to give the sport another black eye in terms of public perception. Figure skating has a reputation of making its decisions -- including who wins a competition -- by political deals made behind closed doors. The more transparency and openness we can bring to the decision-making process the better.

The part I disagree with is about "earning" a spot on the Olympic team by finishing third at Nationals. What Emily earned by finishing third at Nationals is a bronze medal.

Same with Michelle. What she "earned" by winning a bunch of medals in the past, are those medals.

There isn't any "playoff." If football were an Olympic sport, we might well choose Payton Manning for the U.S. Olympic team despite the fact that Matt Hasselbeck is coming to Detroit in two weeks and Manning isn't.

Injury is part of sports. So is recovering from an injury in time for the big game.

We'll see.

Mathman :)