Your Inner Classical Music? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your Inner Classical Music?

E

emiC

Fun and math is mutally exclusive for me

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>anything can be turned into "fun with mathematics." [/quote]

Fun and math is mutually exclusive for me. Doktor Mathman, did you remember the ponderosa, Ben dividing inheritance problem that you issued about 3 mos ago? You promised a prize if I crunch out the exact answer? You know I am mathematically challenged, but I crunched out the answer, it was very difficult. So Mathman, I am claiming a prize for one of my favorite skater Jenny Kirk's birthday.

M

mathman444

Re: Fun and math is mutally exclusive for me

When is it? How about the three Hilary Hahn CDs, the Beethoven, Brahms and Mendellsohn, with a special note to check out the first movement of the Beethoven for skating music next season? (Jenny trains right up the road from me now.)

Mathman

L

Ladskater

Re: Your Inner Classical Music?

Thanks Mathman! I guess that duhhh...kind of threw me. Anyway to my surprise here is me:

The Halleujah Chorus!

I thought I would be Beethoven!

Ladskater

E

emiC

off topic about Kirk

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>When is it? [/quote]

Aug 15

www.figureskatersonline.c...ofile.html

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>How about the three Hilary Hahn CDs, the Beethoven, Brahms and Mendellsohn, with a special note to check out the first movement of the Beethoven for skating music next season[/quote]

Who is Hilary? Billary? I expect you to cut off half your <strong>brain</strong> and send it to Kirk. And who are B,B and M? I am very flexible about claiming this prize, as long as you send something to Jenny for her birthday. BTW, she will be starting her studies at Oakland University, close to where you live? Maybe you can send a gift for the dual purpose, for her birthday, and college well wishing.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Jenny trains right up the road from me now.)[/quote]

<span style="color:green;font-size:medium;">I am jealous</span>

L

Ladskater

Guess What I did the test over and came up with:

Beethoven! Moonlight Sonata

I can't figure out how to copy the images here though.

Ladskater

R

rgirl181

"you are beethoven's fifth symphony (the first movement). woohoo!" I did mine using the AOL 5.0 browser and that's exactly how I got my answer. No caps, no picture. Makes sense though. I'm one of the few people I know who has Glenn Gould's recording of Franz Lizst's transcription of LVB's 5th.

And Rgal, in your list you left out Beethoven's Fifth. At the time, only emiC had it, but now there are two of us.
Rgirl

M

mathman444

Re: off topic about Kirk

emi -- That's a good idea about incorporating some kind of "starting college" theme into your prize. I'll think about that. Yes, Oakland University is quite close to where I live. I've been there often.

Now, I really do think that you would enjoy cultivating an interest in music. Think of it as a brain experiment. Does listening to classical music relieve anxiety? I'm sure you can tell me just what brain chemicals are affected by the wave lengths of the dominant overtones in the oboe's upper register.

As for Hilary, though, I understand your problem. She records for Sony, a rival of your company.

E

emiC

rgirl181, great minds think alike. Even I know the 5th symphony of Mr. Beethoven is one for the ages.

Mathman, thanks for the prize. I am sure you will send something nice and appropriate to Jenny. Is Oakland University science base? liberal art focused? eclectic? BTW, I am emiC, not emi.

Cultivating an appreciation for music, easier said.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I'm sure you can tell me just what brain chemicals are affected by the wave lengths of the dominant overtones in the oboe's upper register.[/quote]

WOW, what is the dominant overtones in the Oboe's upper register?

BTW, I searched, Hilary Hahn records for universal, a company that has swallowed up DG, Decca, and Philips.
www.universalclassics.com...tlist.html

M

mathman444

emiC, about Jenny Kirk's college choice. Oakland University is a fairly large (16,000 students, fourth largest college in Michigan) school with more than 100 undergraduate and 72 graduate degree programs. All of the sciences and traditional liberal arts subjects are well represented. They also have a fine theater program. They have recently upgraded their athletic program to complete in division 1 (Go, Grizzlies!) OU mostly serves students from the suburban Detroit area.

The Chairman of the physics department is a cosmologist who was one of the first astrophysicists, in the 1970s, seriously to develop the toroidal model of the universe. This model, popularized by Homer Simpson, proposes that the universe has the shape of a doughnut (that is, of the 3-dimensional analogue of the surface, not the inside, of a doughnut). This model is very attractive to theorists because it allows the universe to be both "flat" and finite. (The sense in which a doughnut is "flat" in the mathematical sense -- Oh, I'll save that road for another day.)

She is also very much involved in programs to interest girls in pursuing careers in scientific disciplines. Maybe Jenny will become an astrophysicist when she hangs up her skates!

Mathman

E

eltamina

Gustav Holsts Planets anyone?

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>This model, popularized by Homer Simpson, proposes that the universe has the shape of a doughnut [/quote]

That is my kind of cosmology. I am just free associating, Gustav Holst's Planets anyone?

wso.williams.edu/~ktaylor...anets.html

I know it is none of my business, but the Kirk birthday, and sending off to college project sounds like fun. Please give us an update from time to time. :)

M

mathman444

Re: Gustav Holsts Planets anyone?

Interesting reading as always, El Tah. So Holst composed these works some time between 1913 and 1918, which would account for the fact that he left out Pluto. Pluto, presumably the "bringer of doom, despair and hellfire (?)" was discovered in 1930 by a self-taught amateur astronomer named Clyde Tombaugh in 1930 (and named -- after the god of the underworld -- by an 11 year old English school girl, one Venetia Burney.) I wonder what Holst would have made of that.

It seems funny to me that great and terrible Jupiter, mighty king of the heavens and master of the gods, should be "the bringer of jollity." Is this the song that Fumie skated to a couple of seasons ago?

I had the same puzzlement when I learned that the sassy, mock-sexy dance "Cancan," was from Orpheus in the Underworld (Offenbach). What was that all about, I wondered -- a bunch of devils flipping up their tails behind as they chased Orpheus and Eurydice around hell?

I later found out it that the music represented a big orgy that Zeus (Jupiter) threw on mount Olympus before he sent Orpheus off on his mission. It was quite appropiate to give him a rousing musical send-off, BTW, since Orpheus was the son of Calliope, the muse of music, and he was the greatest musician among the gods and heros of the day.

MM

R

rgirl181

Re: Can Can

Mathman,
And now Offenbach's Music for Party Before Sending Orpheus to Hell is being used, at least in NY, for ShopRite's "Can Can" days, where all canned goods are on sale at half price. It has words to the music and everything. "Shop Rite now and you can 'can can.'":p Poor Offenbach. Too dead for his ancestors to get royalties.

Eltamina,
There is, as you are probably aware, a piece for dance and figure skaters choreographed by Lar Lubovitch that features the National Ballet of Canada, including Sonia Rodriguez (Kurt's wife), and a number of Canadian skaters, including Brian Orser (but no Kurt) to "The Planets." It was on A&E a number of years ago and was really the only successful combination of dance and skating I've ever seen. It was made to be filmed, so I think that helped, since they had the set for the dancers, who danced as various Greek gods, on the ice with a couple of small ice covered slides so the skaters could interact with the set. One of the most striking sections, IMO, was to "Mars" with what looked like about 20 skaters as an army. There was also a beautiful duet with Rodriguez and I think it was Paul Duschaney where Paul partnered her on the ice, skating around holding her up the entire time. If you haven't seen it, I may (not sure) have a tape of it.
Rgirl

K

Kasey

I'm Moonlight Sonata too! I can live with that! :)

Kasey