Skate Canada National Team Camp | Golden Skate

Skate Canada National Team Camp

lcd

Match Penalty
As it seems Skate Canada... displeased by all the videos of programs that got taken from the audience, then posted so quickly to YouTube...kept out the fans... I wonder if they'll replicate what they did for the team ahead of Calgary... if I recall correctly, they actually DID do a mock competition type performance... inviting or selling tickets, to essentially 'fill the house'... to try to ge the mock run through setting of the event... you know... body heat in the building and everything... I recall Liz Manley mentioning something about this... that would be great if they did it this time next year...youtube videos be damned...

lmarie086

Medalist
Apparently Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir did not participate because she has shin splints.
I wish them well and hope for a speedy recovery on her part.

gourry

Final Flight
Apparently Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir did not participate because she has shin splints.

My gosh! Tessa got injured?? No..... I hope it's nothing serious. Really. The season is just one month away!! :cry:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I hope this won't hurt thier competition schedule. They have SA and/or SC so she has to get well soon if they want to debut thier programs and make the GPF. Wish her the best!

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Did they say anything about Tessa's shin splints in the article? Wow, I hope she can recover in time for Skate Canada. Get well soon, Tessa!

As it seems Skate Canada... displeased by all the videos of programs that got taken from the audience, then posted so quickly to YouTube...kept out the fans...
Why would Skate Canada object to these viedeos popping up on You Tube? Isn't that just free publicity for them?

Kypma

Final Flight

Oh dear... and I was just thinking recently on how this duo never seemed to suffer from injuries. If this is indeed true, I wish her a speedy and complete recovery. Tessa and Scott really are wonderful to watch, at least in my humble opinion!

Why would Skate Canada object to these viedeos popping up on You Tube? Isn't that just free publicity for them?

I believe there was an issue with the public seeing skaters testing out their programs even though they weren't ready... maybe a little like professional musicians, who do not like to be filmed while putting on small recitals at High-Profile Music Camps (I've been to one, this is why I know) and such, because it's not a proper preparation and it can affect their reputation if they make mistakes. Since these National Camps are, well Camps, they are not official competitions, and more like a generalised practice for the National Team. Just my hypothesis. I'm sure Skate Canada likes the attention, but might not want the general public to see its skaters pre-competition shape.

-Kypma

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe there was an issue with the public seeing skaters testing out their programs even though they weren't ready... maybe a little like professional musicians, who do not like to be filmed while putting on small recitals at High-Profile Music Camps (I've been to one, this is why I know) and such, because it's not a proper preparation and it can affect their reputation if they make mistakes. Since these National Camps are, well Camps, they are not official competitions, and more like a generalised practice for the National Team. Just my hypothesis. I'm sure Skate Canada likes the attention, but might not want the general public to see its skaters pre-competition shape.

-Kypma

That is what skaters have been doing right along during summer competitions---testing out their programs. I don't see why their "reputations" would be affected if they make mistakes. ALL skaters make mistakes in regular competitions during the season, and one would expect more mistakes in the very early season than later on.

They are NO different from any other skater from any other country, whether Skate Canada wants to make it appear that way or not.

lmarie086

Medalist
That is what skaters have been doing right along during summer competitions---testing out their programs. I don't see why their "reputations" would be affected if they make mistakes. ALL skaters make mistakes in regular competitions during the season, and one would expect more mistakes in the very early season than later on.

They are NO different from any other skater from any other country, whether Skate Canada wants to make it appear that way or not.

I'd have to agree with chuckm. The first official competition of the GP circuit is pretty much that anyway-testing out the programs. That's in front of people, so why should the SC National Team Camp be open to the public as well? The fans do have some very valuable input and thoughts to voice that...well, they're going to say no matter what time it is, preseason or not. For example, there was an uproar last year over Tessa Virtue's dress. If that hadn't occurred, she may have worn it to SC and that may have been (beware of some sarcasm) catastrophic.

all that

Final Flight

Some skaters don't attend summer competitions, and want their first test in public to be in the Grand Prix -- probably because, as you said, one would expect more mistakes earlier than later in the season. Waiting until the Grand Prix to debut gives them until the last possible second to polish their programs and practice. If that's what helps them be successful (I'm thinking teams like Domnina/Shabalin, Khokhlova/Novitski, V&M, basically all Team A U.S. skaters, etc., here), then I can see Skate Canada doing what they can to ensure that skaters who choose not to debut until the Grand Prix keep that ability.

For example, there was an uproar last year over Tessa Virtue's dress. If that hadn't occurred, she may have worn it to SC and that may have been (beware of some sarcasm) catastrophic.

Really, I doubt that fan uproar is what made Tessa change the dress! :rolleye: The judges, Skate Canada staff, etc., probably hold more sway than fans and fan opinions. Anyone with eyes could see that dress wasn't going to work out (it was so long it covered Tessa's face when she flipped back).

Sylvia

Record Breaker
How about the Team A Skaters from the United States?
Team A envelope skaters can compete in summer/fall club competitions if they want -- Keauna McLaughlin/Rockne Brubaker skated their SP at Broadmoor Open way back in June and both programs at Indy Challenge in August. Stephen Carriere competed at Boston Open earlier this month. Mirai Nagasu registered for Golden West but did not compete. Kimmie Meissner tested out her SP at a local Florida comp. over Labor Day weekend.

lmarie086

Medalist
Really, I doubt that fan uproar is what made Tessa change the dress! :rolleye: The judges, Skate Canada staff, etc., probably hold more sway than fans and fan opinions. Anyone with eyes could see that dress wasn't going to work out (it was so long it covered Tessa's face when she flipped back).

Ahh another moment of my exaggeration. But fans like to think they/we have power lol.
And I never actually saw the dress, so I had no idea what it looked like. But I did hear that people hated her dress.