2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Pairs Free Skate | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Pairs Free Skate

slider11

Medalist
So, Danny is a bit like Trennt?
Coming back, continuing strong with a new partner and getting bronze at Nationals 🙂
Danny is such a strong male pair skater. He is rock solid with his lifts-gives his partner the freedom to stretch and rotate. He also has a very nurturing and protective way with his young partner-in a very positive, professional way. I am looking forward to the Kam/O'Shea team!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I ran a little bit behind tonight because of surprise company to celebrate my birthday, but I thoroughly enjoyed this event.

I'm going to take a different tack to my comments tonight. Who were the most memorable pairs, for me?

Spencer and Emily. ❤️ They're the complete package. Figure skating is sport and art, and they demonstrated that, in glorious fashion. Everything they did, from elements to showing emotions with their movement to perfectly embodying their music, was simply breathtaking and mesmerizing. There's a place, where they're doing their pairs spin, where the music changes, and so do their movements, which become more expansive and passionate right through to the end. And their faces. All of this makes something so complete and satisfying. It's like the old=fashioned skates which build to a climax and a very pleasurable viewing experience. I love that they've said a high priority is to connect with their audience on a heart and feeling level.

Sonja and Daniel. There's so much joy in their skating, their faces, their demeanor when they skate, all paired with their lovely precision which shows but doesn't hit you in the face with their technical talent. Honestly, I can't remember the mistakes although I know there were some. Same with Emily and Spencer. Unless I'm counting points and caring most about the result, it just doesn't matter. They make me happy. I find them to be an exquisite team.

Valentina and Maximiliano. There's something just so down to earth and happy about their skating. I have the feeling that they give each other silent encouragement during the programs, including after a mistake. (Mishina/Galliamov have said for them, it's just a hand squeeze, not an overt "oh, that's okay" expression.) That's the feeling I get from Valentina and Maximiliano. Even if I'm wrong about this, there's something about the two of them together that produces that thought in me. I love Maria for them, and I love how unabashedly they perform it. Exuberantly. They have personality, and sharing that with the audience is also part of the "art" part of this sport and art.

Katie and Nate. When they first paired up, I said right away I love how Katie shows so much joy in being a pair. She just glows. They've come a long way in 3 years or so. Having said that, I kind of hope they consider this a great time to go out at their best and highest. I think it would be better for Nate's health. He's a wonderful lifter, and Katie loves and looks so happy flying through the lifts.

Maria and Ivan. With Die Fledermaus, they simply lifted this whole competition, all by themselves! There's nothing like a great classical piece, but even more importantly, they maximized every little flourish of the music and embodied all of the music. They had a vision, and they showed it to us. I can't say how much I've enjoyed that program this year. It made me a fan of this team for the first time. Well done. Again, I couldn't care less about errors, which I've forgotten.

skatefigure

Rinkside
Does that mean what I think it does?
She has never said anything publicly but I think when she deleted all her wedding and date nite pics and basically erased anything Dalton from her page the message was pretty clear.

IFS magazine posted an interview with her a couple of weeks ago. She sounds like she is in a good space and has moved on.

Last edited: