2009-2010 Programs by Discipline | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2009-2010 Programs by Discipline

Medusa

Record Breaker
Alban Preaubert new programs:

SP: Music from Stanley Kubrick's movie A Clockwork Orange
LP: Rolling Stones medley ("Paint it black", "Angie", "Mannish boy" and "Start me up"):rock:

Sounds like a decent plan. He has a good shot at the Olympic Team, especially since I don't think the French Federation was over the moon with Ponsero at Worlds.

That must be the worst music choice in history (Clockwork Orange). I have never seen a more horrible movie. (Well, I couldn't watch much of it, but....) What dreadful images to be conjuring up while trying to impress judges and audiences. Change your mind, Alban!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Kubrick rules, I like clockwork orange movie and soundtrack, :rock:Preubert has unique choices every year especially in sp!Rolling Stones, woohoo! I love his choices!The best for men so far along with Taka's!

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
According Alban official site, Muriel Boucher-Zazoui choreographed his programs:thumbsup:
Oh, OK. I thought her last season's SP for Alban was great. She did't try to conceal his weaknesses, but rather taught him new tricks. Still, the PCS were low.

janetfan

Match Penalty
That must be the worst music choice in history (Clockwork Orange). I have never seen a more horrible movie. (Well, I couldn't watch much of it, but....) What dreadful images to be conjuring up while trying to impress judges and audiences. Change your mind, Alban!

I saw the movie years ago and whether you like it or not - it had a glorious soundtrack. If I remember right after so many years, part of the plot revolved around the effect Beethoven's music had on a young English hooligan.

Anyway, he won't be skating to a DVD clip of the movie - just the classical music that was used in the soundtrack.
If I were judging that would go over better with me than the music of the Rolling Stones. But maybe his Stones program will be good - so better to wait and see it before closing the door on it.

I saw the movie years ago and whether you like it or not - it had a glorious soundtrack. If I remember right after so many years, part of the plot revolved around the effect Beethoven's music had on a young English hooligan.
So why not just use Beethoven?

janetfan

Match Penalty
So why not just use Beethoven?

Good question!
Maybe they are using some original music that was composed for the movie along with cuts of the classical music that were used in the soundtract.

Could have been a copyright/name and likeness issue - or maybe somebody thinks it is hip using the title.
BTW, a 1st edition of the book, "Clockwork Orange" is worth a decent little chunk of change.
"Clockwork Orange" was also the nickname used for the great Dutch football teams year ago. (Holland wears bright orange jerseys).

(Now my last secret is out - I am a book collector) :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think Ludwig Van (d. 1827) is in the public domain. :)

Yes, of course. But they may have used some of the music from the 9th with original music written for the soundtract score mixed into it. Or they may be using some of the original soundtrack score. There may be some "Petrouchka" type chords or other effects added to the Ninth in the movie soundtrack - and that would definitely be copyrighted.

A score with PD music and copyrighted music is not PD if you are using the name of the movie to help "sell" a product, whether it is a music book or background music for a commercial.
There are guidelines ASCAP/BMI suggest - but if the original music is hot the copyright owner can play hardball.
On recordings there is a general flat fee used and administered by the Fox agency.
For printed music the copyright holder can ask for any percentage they want and it is not negociable.

A famous case was over the rights and usage of "Rondeau" by JJ Mouret. You know this better as theme from "Masterpiece Theater."
The music is PD. But a publisher decided to issue editions of this for Orchestra and Concert Band in the US using the title "Theme from Masterpiece."

It went to court and the publisher lost. They had to pay to call the piece "Masterpiece."

It happened a few times with the disco version of "Beethoven's Fith" years ago
In this case there were arrangements published that copied the arrangement in the hit song too closely.
Some publishers got away with this by making the arrangement just different enough from the original. They also called it "Beethoven's 5th - Disco version" as opposed to the title used by the hit song which was "A Fifth of Beethoven." Many of the published editions were taken to court and they lost.

You learn this stuff when you work for Warner Brothers Music, Publishing Division.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Alban Preaubert new programs:

SP: Music from Stanley Kubrick's movie A Clockwork Orange
LP: Rolling Stones medley ("Paint it black", "Angie", "Mannish boy" and "Start me up"):rock:
I knew I was right to trust the French skaters! :) I think Alban has an excellent shot at the Olympics, especially if he skates well in the GPs like he did last year. I just hope the judges go along with it.

beep_beep

Medalist
Kristoffer Berntsson

SP: Conan, The Barbarian
FS: “Nocturne” by Secret Garden and “Sweet Dreams” by Eurythmics

It was the idea of my choreographer (Zerjon Abebe). We tried many different ideas. It takes a lot of time and it is very difficult to find always a good idea and a good music. Everything should fit together. I think now it feels good. The short program is something different from what I’ve done before. It’s “Conan the Babarian” and in the free it’s more baroque, more style, more classic (music selection: “Nocturne” by Secret Garden and “Sweet Dreams” by Eurythmics). It’s very different. It’s going to be fun. I try every year (to do something different). It’s really two different programs; I don’t think anybody has seen me like this before.

http://www.figureskating-online.com/pageID_8259768.html

Gotta, love him. I was hoping he'd keep Axel F, but this sounds pretty good too.
:rock:

anya_angie

Final Flight
It's about time SOMEONE used Conan The Barbarian! I always felt Poledouris was great for skating.