U.S. Figure Skating, NBC Sports Announce Broadcast Contract Extension | Page 2 | Golden Skate

U.S. Figure Skating, NBC Sports Announce Broadcast Contract Extension

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yeah, I know what program I'm going to watch :laugh:

Well, not that I would have watched men or pairs without football on anyway. ;)

nylynnr

On the Ice
Well - isn't that stooopid? So much for the wisdom of putting the senior championships on two weekends instead of all at the last one. :banging:

No, the networks would call it counter programming. NFL playoffs will get big numbers, but football fans generally don't watch men's figure skating (of course, there are exceptions). NBC is hoping to capture non-NFL fans and the advertisers who want to reach them.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
ABC ESPN might bid, so might CBS Universal, and NBC will definitely bid. That's part of the reason they were all so upset USOC had (prematurely) announced an Olympic network, or whatever it was.
QUOTE]

NBC owns Universal Sports.

For those Comcast subscribers in central CA I received a tweet from @UniversalSports stating the following: "Due to some technical issues you're going to have to wait until October 10th for the cable launch in Fresno"

Just in time for the Skating Season.

:clap:

R.D.

Record Breaker
No, the networks would call it counter programming. NFL playoffs will get big numbers, but football fans generally don't watch men's figure skating (of course, there are exceptions). NBC is hoping to capture non-NFL fans and the advertisers who want to reach them.

Yes, there will be more people watching TV overall, and thus a "bigger market" so to speak. The NHL Winter Classic has been a success despite airing against College Bowl games since it's on New Year's Day.

Last edited:

Tammi

On the Ice
Yes, it will only be Lake Placid. The only other time they broadcast a JGP was back in 2007, when it was also in Lake Placid.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Of course, the downside of network TV coverage is that it's always prone to shifting or pre-empting by local stations, particularly in the afternoon. I guess one has to pick a poison- coverage on a niche network that's available to only a few, or coverage on a mainstream network that you may or may not see depending on where you live. Hmm...