Patrick Chan | Page 209 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you, Calica! Anyone notice the improvement to his costume? I like this darker purple vest much better!

If this is his new costume. He never wears a costume for practice. It doesn't look like a practice outfit though. OTOH, the MTK costume doesn't look like competition costume.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
He did wear his SP costume during practice in Barcelona, so I'm positive it's a new costume. :)

Welcome, littlelithium! We're honored more Patrick fans are debuting their GS posts here on this thread.

It does look like a new SP costume for Patrick rather than a practice outfit. And I agree it's a better choice. May it have a positive effect. :)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hello from Halifax!

Patrick had two practice sessions today, one at the secondary rink early this morning (which I wasn't able to attend) and then the one that you saw a part of, from the main rink. The guys could choose to skate either their short or long program, and most chose to skate their longs. After his program run through, Patrick worked on his triple axels for a while (he rotated and landed all of them, he was just working on the landings, trying to get them cleaner). He also worked on quads and then started doing some of the choreography from his short program (without his music playing, obviously). I'd say he had fairly good practice but he was frustrated that all the landings weren't clean. The second "coach" was in fact choreographer David Wilson, who stood at the boards with Kathy.

I had a nice day today, watching all the practices, then my group went over to Dartmouth for dinner and took the ferry back to Halifax afterwards. I'm looking forward to the competitions tomorrow!
Thanks for sharing your firsthand report! You are so lucky to get to see Patrick and the other Canadian skaters skate in person. Definitely living up to your username! ;)

Patrick did not make the second quad a combo after the first solo. He is counting on landing the quad combo at the beginning of the program at the competition. The LP has been stellar and I'm confident he will do well with the added 4T and 3A. I trust the SP should be fine by now too, with no downgrading and Zayaking.

Patrick is painfuly open about his comeback frustrations and experiences. He is not the brash young upstart entering the Senior rank but a repeat World Champion with great expectations and pressure on him to be on top after more than a year off, at a time of unprecedented great leap forward in terms of jumps in Mens figure skating. If only it's as easy as commenting online urging him to add a new quad! His concerns for his body being older and harder to train concerns me. Of course he needs to be careful and train smartly but it does not serve him to think his body is aging.

Believe, Patrick! Choose your belief and do it for yourself.
Yes to all of this but especially the bolded parts. If Patrick feels like his body is betraying him, it's probably easier for his mental focus to diminish. Believing in himself is the most important thing of all. His perfectionist side is coming out more and more and I'm glad Kathy is there to temper it a little bit.

Hmmm... Easy for him to say perhaps mentally, yet his emotional reactions don't quite reflect that attitude yet.

It is indeed an unprecedented time in Mens' figure skating, which is why I said before that Patrick chose to come back at a very difficult time; a time when his artistic skating goals totally clash with current developments.

Somebody posted this image and quote just two days before Patrick announced that he was upping his technical difficulty. It still makes sense to me. He needs to stick to his plan to add difficulty slowly, and not fall into the temptation to rush his training.

“The men’s event in the last competitions has been spectacular, but I wonder if it’s sustainable. Maybe Patrick Chan’s choice not to upgrade will prove to be more strategic for the Olympics”

As far as the aging and frustration go, here's another image quote:

“I fear Patrick and Mao may become demotivated by the results they have achieved this season and retire for good. They are truly wonderful skaters and I hope the stay around for a tad longer.”
Thanks for bringing those image quotes over. I agree with both of them and also with the first sentence of your post. I love all the pictures of Patrick smiling.

Here's a better article with more details about what Patrick said: http://reportca.net/2016/01/canadia...pionships-abuzz-about-return-of-patrick-chan/

1) He still has a lot of fans who greeted him in Halifax.

2) They spelled his coach's last name wrong in the article.

3) As I suspected, the competitive desire to be at the top outweighs the desire to become a more versatile skater or to bring balance to the sport. Patrick, don't turn into Darth Vader... :dev2:
:laugh: The Darth Vader thing is so funny but in a way it's so accurate. In the race for points, I hope Patrick is not losing his love of skating yet again. Heck, I would applaud him for stepping away before 2018 (like Jeff Buttle before Vancouver) if his heart truly is not in it anymore. For the moment, though, it still seems to be.

Gosh, he looks like two different skaters from the LP to the SP, and not in a good way. :disapp: But I agree that the new costume is MUCH better! I wonder why he chose the color purple for the SP costume this year.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
He is weighing the violet pill.

:laugh: :rofl:

BTW, I have scheduled to send him a lot of motivational quotes via Twitter. All, keep up the encouragement! (Let me know if you want me to send him a message.)

Here's the performance time schedule: http://skatecanada.ca/results/2016CDNS/2016CDNSSeniorMenShortTimeSheet.pdf

Patrick skates at 20:20 p.m. tonight! That's 3 HOURS and 37 MINUTES from now! He is #13 to skate (13 is supposed to be a lucky Chinese number, BTW).

Countdown timer to Patrick's skate:

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20160122T2020&p0=286&msg=Patrick+Skates!&font=cursive

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
No worries, I created that countdown clock for us, the fans.

But I'm sure that somewhere in his subconscious mind, he knows... ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm happy to know Patrick is going to 4CC. That indicates he's going for more much needed competition experiences before Worlds, taking on the challenges instead of being uncertain about it. Yes, do it or not do it, but not wavering or being half-hearted about it.

4CC will be held in Taipei but there is over a month before Worlds so he will have time to recuperate from the travels and put in some training with the new experience from 4CC.

Go Patrick. Believe.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow! 103.58! Go Patrick! :hap10: :hap93:
I hope that score is not just Nationals inflation talking. Patrick must have rotated and landed the jumps cleanly!!!!! Can't wait to see it when it pops up online! :clap: :dance: :hap57: :biggrin: (I could use more emoticons but I will restrain myself). CONGRATS TO PATRICK. That must be a HUGE confidence boost for him!!!

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
Everything was rotated, done cleanly. He got the performance he was looking for. Not surprised at the score.