Pairs FS - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Pairs FS - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats to S/S for the win!! :clap: Some areas of improvement (particularly the SBS spin and pairs spin, and some tightness in the lifts), but otherwise wonderful to see a clean competition from them.

I guess V/T are human after all, although this is a good experience for them to have before Sochi.

I hope people will stop saying silly things like "V/T have a two or three fall cushion" or "S/S have to do a 3A to even stand a chance" when this competition clearly proved otherwise. :rolleye:

I also would have had P/T ahead in the FS with their far cleaner skate.

And yet again, judges, what is up with giving a majority of -2's for a fall? I understand there was the difficult spread eagle entry, but given Tatiana's poor air position, and ugly fall, that should have been -3's across the board.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - VIDEOS - (By Starting Order)

1. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH (CAN) Free Skate, 2nd Copy

2. Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG (CHN) Free Skate, 2nd Copy

3. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD (CAN) Free Skate, 2nd Copy

4. Qing PANG / Jian TONG (CHN) Free Skate, 2nd Copy

5. Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY (GER) Free Skate, 2nd Copy

6. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV (RUS) Free Skate, 2nd Copy

Complete Free Skate, Medal Ceremony

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

seniorita

Record Breaker
I want to see this kind of skates in Olys, really S/S were spectacular, I hope P/T medal in Sochi and V/T , I really like their program a lot, for me this Lp is better than previous ones. I wish their pcs here were correct, but at least I m glad S/S won.

spread beagle

Rinkside
I hope people will stop saying silly things like "V/T have a two or three fall cushion" or "S/S have to do a 3A to even stand a chance" when this competition clearly proved otherwise. :rolleye:

It is not so clear proof as you think. When competition is in Russia we can assume PCS will be higher for V/T. 2 or 3 fall cushion is probably exageration but S/S can't win in their own strong skate when Tatjana and Max make no mistakes. So with triple axel S/S probably wanted to try to get the win from their own strength. I don't think it even works when V/T don't have mistakes but there is truth to the idea.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm SO SO SO happy for Aljona and Robin! :party2::party2::points::party: Tatiana and Maxim will win in Sochi anyway, but they deserved this so much!
V/T score still doesn't make any sense: -1.70 for a 3S with A FALL? Higher PCS than a clean S/S? :unsure:

tulosai

Record Breaker
omg omg OMG OMG OMG S/S won OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! And V/T had only a one point buffer on PCS?????

What weird, fair universe have I entered????

My predictions are shot to.... but I DON'T CARE I DON'T CARE I DON'T CARE :bow:

tulosai

Record Breaker
This competition does show what S&S's best strategy to try and beat V&T is. Skate cleanly, forget about the 3axel throw, and hope V&T make mistakes. A clean V&T will still win no matter what S&S do, but this event shows if S&S are clean and V&T arent they have a chance. Although it is possible with the Games in Russia the mistake cushion will likely be larger than what it was here.

P&T definitely are the huge favorites for the Olympic bronze at this point, and can even do better if one of S&S or V&T have enough problems.

I agree with all of this.

sapphiresky

Rinkside
Wow...the CBC commentators said that this is the 40th Grand Prix Event for Pang/Tong! :jaw:

Congrats to all the medalists! And really happy for S/S!

And after someone mentioning Trankov's "bulge", I can't help but see it all the time...how distracting.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Scores seemed too high for the top 2. S/S were really great but I feel that I have seem them skate better. V/T were human today and remain unbeatable for Sochi despite the fall and the final placement.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I have Maxim Trankov's russian flag from Euros 2013.:cool: He gave it to the audience after his triumph tour and I grabbed it. :biggrin:

sweetskates1

Medalist
Oh boy, I thought I was still reading the men's lp thread and that you were speaking of Kovtun :( ignore my previous post if read.

I have Maxim Trankov's russian flag from Euros 2013.:cool: He gave it to the audience after his triumph tour and I grabbed it. :biggrin:

sweetskates1

Medalist
I like this year's program a lot but I did not think they would earn such a high score. I was really sleepy when I watched, maybe if I watch it again I will understand the hype.

The only time I ever saw S&S arguably skate better was the 2011 Worlds LP but their program itself this year is better.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - VIDEOS - (By Starting Order) - Updated

1. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH (CAN) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

2. Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG (CHN) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

3. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD (CAN) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

4. Qing PANG / Jian TONG (CHN) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

5. Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY (GER) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

6. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV (RUS) Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

Complete Free Skate, Medal Ceremony

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

gmyers

Record Breaker
So glad v/t lost with her falling twice and not clean vs clean but it could be that pressure too much for her and silver is it. Too bad for Sochi! Hope they turn it all around with handling pressure.