2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Pairs Free Skate | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Pairs Free Skate

LadyB

Record Breaker
This was a happy event. My heart starts pounding when I think of Senior RD - it's gonna be nerve wrecking.

QuadThrow

Medalist
well, the Germans looked slow this time, but the Italians' elements were very small and the Canadians just had a skate that was too messy
very close... in the end I'm happy of course, I never expected this at the start of the season
This. Italians are skating as a couple. Really lovely and deserved win in the Free. But their throws are small. Their death spiral is only on the inside and they do not have a reverse lift (only toe lift: means -0.8)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well, the Germans looked slow this time, but the Italians' elements were very small and the Canadians just had a skate that was too messy
very close... in the end I'm happy of course, I never expected this at the start of the season
yeah.. that's a good analysis. Canadians did win the PCS, but that single axel was very costly. Their BV was low. The top three teams got almost the same kind of GOE, the Italians slightly better than the other two.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
yes, but Deanna and Maxime are skating to the soundtrack of the new TV show i strongly disagree with as a fan of the novels

Aha! Now I know what you are getting at.

Didn't know there was a TV series.

What is the craic with all these re-boots and re-makes that we are getting nowadays? Can they not think of anything new, and so feel the need to mess about with things that have already been done successfully? Is nothing sacred?

CaroLiza_fan

icewhite

Record Breaker
yeah.. that's a good analysis. Canadians did win the PCS, but that single axel was very costly. Their BV was low. The top three teams got almost the same kind of GOE, the Italians slightly better than the other two.

they did? will have to look at the protocols later, I was not impressed by their elements at all
in terms of softness and style it was nice

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Senior Pairs awards to follow in this stream

That's why I posted that post in between the two ceremonies! :laugh:

Don't worry, I know you are pulling an all-nighter. And that's hard going.

Hope you have a good long and sound sleep when you do get to bed. You deserve it!

CaroLiza_fan

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's why I posted that post in between the two ceremonies! :laugh:

Don't worry, I know you are pulling an all-nighter. And that's hard going.

Hope you have a good long sleep when you do get to bed. You deserve it!

CaroLiza_fan
See I reposted cause it says ladies and wanted the pairs fans to know it included pairs awards too. BTW last night was my only night off in 10 days. I went to bed early and got enough sleep so I didn't miss anything today cause I will miss the rest of the event after today.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Augh, I still can't get back to sleep and I'm having some incredibly cynical thoughts regarding my favorite skater that are keeping me awake! :bang: Somebody please DM me, it'll do me no good to keep having these thoughts if I have to go to work with no sleep!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
See I reposted cause it says ladies and wanted the pairs fans to know it included pairs awards too. BTW last night was my only night off in 10 days. I went to bed early and got enough sleep so I didn't miss anything today cause I will miss the rest of the event after today.

:ghug:

Well, at least you are able to join us now. I like your contributions, and do miss you when you are not here.

You deserve to indulge your passion after that long stretch.

But, again, make sure you get enough sleep in between the skating. We don't want you to be neglecting yourself, and be under the weather during the festive season as a result!

Or, should I say, Russian and Japanese Nationals season! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:ghug:

Well, at least you are able to join us now. I like your contributions, and do miss you when you are not here.

You deserve to indulge your passion after that long stretch.

But, again, make sure you get enough sleep in between the skating. We don't want you to be neglecting yourself, and be under the weather during the festive season as a result!

CaroLiza_fan
Oh I will take a really nice sleep before I go into work tonight.
Thanks for your kind comments and your concern.🫶

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
Sara CONTI / Niccolo MACII 🇮🇹
Nuovo Cinema Paradiso, Cinema Paradiso

3Tw3 (catches free foot on the way down, which means we might be getting bad C/M)
3T+2A+2A+SEQ (very far apart, we lost Niccolo in shot)
3S
5RLi4
3LoTh
5TLi4
ChSq1 +1.50
3STh
3Li4
BiDs3
PCoSp4

FS: 135.58 (1st) PB
TOT: 205.88 (1st)

I was worried this would be a messy skate after the opening twist was... not great but they delivered! I am getting a little tired of this program but they skate it well. Hopefully they will be satisfied with a medal and can shine the rest of the season.
I thought they were overscored here. Should not be above 130 for that skate.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
5 Deanna STELLATO-DUDEK / Maxime DESCHAMPS 🇨🇦
Interview With The Vampire

3Tw4
3T+1A+1A+SEQ (Deanna singles the second axel)
3S (Deanna puts a hand down, Maxime was messy, both 2-footed)
5ALi4
FoDs2
PCoSp3

3STh (hand goes down)
5RLi4
ChSq1 +1.50
3LoTh
(hangs on)
3Li3

FS: 133.08 (2nd)
TOT: 204.30 (2nd)

Nowhere near a commanding as SCI... their quality is world-class but the dropped levels and messy elements will make their medal color questionable.
Not sure why they don't have a negative GOE with the hand going down on the 3STh. They too were overstored in my opinion. Also, not a skate that should be above 130 and I adore Deanna and Max.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
Minerva Fabienne HASE / Nikita VOLODIN 🇩🇪
The Path of Silence, Power of Mind

3Tw3
3T+2A+2A+SEQ (bit far apart, Minerva steps back)
3S (holds on)
3LoTh (stepout)
5RLi4
BoDs3
PCoSp
5ALi
3STh
ChSq1 +0.93
3Li4

FS: 133.87 (2nd)
TOT: 206.43 (1st) that was clooooose

You could see the fatigue on this team... they were just slower and less dynamic than NHK or Espoo. It's understandable, they've been dealing with a whirlwind of illness and travel these past few weeks. I was thrilled to see them really pushing the speed in the second half, I'm sure Nikita in particular was exhausted but they kept fighting.
Also overscored. Boring program. Bad music. Not particularly impressed with this pairs event. Of all the disciplines, I think this is the one where if the Russians came back, they'd have no problem going back to taking the top 3 medals and it will be easy for them.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shout out to Golden Skate!

Does this place have roaming reporters, or are these interviews done via phone or whatever?

Also, do you think the pairs sat around in their costumes this whole time?

Thanks! The photos mostly come from the mixed zone after they come off the ice. Our journalist does a TON of running around though for sure!

slider11

Medalist
I was a bit disappointed in Lia/Trentt's gp performance. I think their LP lacks a little spark/crescendo to give this pair the lift they need. I like Gladiator but the strong theme music is missing. From the Kiss n Cry it seems that Trentt missed the lift at the end. It seemed like his arm or balance just gave out. But bravo for him safely bringing Lia to the ice. This is a terrific pair and I think they have a lot of potential for years to come.

Isk

On the Ice
Also overscored. Boring program. Bad music. Not particularly impressed with this pairs event. Of all the disciplines, I think this is the one where if the Russians came back, they'd have no problem going back to taking the top 3 medals and it will be easy for them.
Hm... Volodin is Russian, from St. Petersburg. So are Pavlova and Svyatchenko, she is from Moscow, he is from St. Petersburg, they train in Sochi. In a sense it is happening. I think if the Russian Russians were here, they'd probably be overscored as well.
Maybe it'll get better before worlds, maybe next season. The Japanese didn't qualify for the GPF (I am not sure why, I didn't follow pairs except CoC), neither did Peng/Wang. I am not super excited by Conti/Machi skating the free program from last season, but Guillardi/Ambrosini is usually fun, although admittedly they were more fun last season. But now they can score 10 points (hopefully more if she does the axels) for their combined jumping efforts, maybe it will help their motivation.

Last edited: