2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Pairs Free Skate | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Pairs Free Skate

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This was a happy event. My heart starts pounding when I think of Senior RD - it's gonna be nerve wrecking.
Well it was only happy for Germany and Italy = I don't th9nk either Canadian team was happy. Deanna visably mad at herself. But I have to say even if Deanna and Max skated a bit better and won (it was still so close) the problem I see is the pcs of the Germans and how fast they are rising. You can tell the Canadians are not very well received comparatively. I would think this is a team that should score like Brandon and Alexa but are a good five points lower in the sp even when clean and 10 in the long. unlike the Germans whose pcs and scores have risen comparatively far greater. I think German VH have gold for worlds unless Japan comes back. HOwever, let's not kid our selves even with the change rules which allows for more points really for the individual jumps these top teams are not in the same league as other podiums from the past. They might not even make the final Still it was dramatically close

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The way Volodin throws Hase, he seems to lunge after her. Literally, I expect him to leap and stabilize her on landing. And it worked, it worked... they did it!!!

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Maybe it'll get better before worlds, maybe next season. The Japanese didn't qualify for the GPF (I am not sure why, I didn't follow pairs except CoC), neither did Peng/Wang. I am not super excited by Conti/Machi skating the free program from last season, but Guillardi/Ambrosini is usually fun, although admittedly they were more fun last season. But now they can score 10 points (hopefully more if she does the axels) for their combined jumping efforts, maybe it will help their motivation.
M/K didn't compete at any GP event, due to injury. :(

G/A had q calls for both 3S and 2A in the combo. I think this lowers the goe for them, so I hope they can work on jumps, although it usually rheir weak point.

Rebecca Moose

proud Tonia K fan since '95
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Also overscored. Boring program. Bad music. Not particularly impressed with this pairs event. Of all the disciplines, I think this is the one where if the Russians came back, they'd have no problem going back to taking the top 3 medals and it will be easy for them.
so much positivity from you today. 🤣

at least pairs is stronger than it was last season!

Last edited:

paulusfr

On the Ice
The free program of H/V didn't work this time, seemed off. Way too slow and not much connection with the music. It's understandable given their crazy schedule and condition, but first place seems a bit generous for that kind of performance. PCS probably should have been even lower than they got. Their performance in the short program was mind blowing though.

Hm... Volodin is Russian, from St. Petersburg. So are Pavlova and Svyatchenko, she is from Moscow, he is from St. Petersburg, they train in Sochi. In a sense it is happening. I think if the Russian Russians were here, they'd probably be overscored as well.
Wait until the World championships... One "Georgian" (not really) pair is gonna stun everybody... I'm actually having THEM as favourites to win the worlds, not even the japanese or s-d/d or h/v. To beat these robots, others have to be perfect in every single way, and we haven't seen that yet from any of them.

Isk

On the Ice
The free program of H/V didn't work this time, seemed off. Way too slow and not much connection with the music. It's understandable given their crazy schedule and condition, but first place seems a bit generous for that kind of performance. PCS probably should have been even lower than they got. Their performance in the short program was mind blowing though.
I agree. Volodin is a strong partner though, he lifts Minerva so easily. His strength was better visible at CoC, I guess because they are not in optimal shape at the finals.

Last edited: