2014 Japan Open | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 Japan Open

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yuzuru skated in Carnival on Ice more than once, which is an IMG event. He also skated in another IMG event THE ICE.

It has nothing to do with being or not being with IMG. Does Plushenko have a contract with IMG? Lol.

No, the idea is not to be got the way you presented it. The reason is something different that we don't know. Yet.
Japan Open often invites Dai, the sponsors there are mostly for Dai, people have said so. They mostly invite skaters with IMG contracts, but doesn't mean IMG only. The reason might be simply because of sponsors.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Updated on August 16th
Japan - Murakami, Miyahara, Kozuka, Mura

FT and JO are a week away. I dont think FT is the reason. Kanako will be in JO just a week after NT. Maybe its Yuzu fragile health. But he didnt need to be in both events. He could withdraw from FT and compete at JO. It looks like he didnt get the JO invitation at all. But why. . . So strange.

I agree the participation of Dai was crucial. Mao too. How they are going to sell Saitama arena now. Actually Mao or Dai or both might be in COI as guest skater. ;)

:eek: Why no Yuzuru??? Just a couple of days ago I was so surprised to receive an email from one of the oneline ticket handling companies as follows, and find out they mention that they do have discounted tickets available, and I wondered why... Now I can understand it. IIRC I never saw such thing in the past; for any competitions, where either Mao or Dai, or both were to compete in Japan, it got so hard 'even' to log in these sites in order to pre-reserve tickets normally, all such tickets simply GONE in a second. It used to be a sort of MIRACLE, or winning lottery to be able to get such platinum tickets. No Mao and no Dai, JSF NEEDS Yuzuru for the sake of ticket sales, sponsorships and media attentions. I hope he at least shows up at Carnival on Ice. While I feel relieved (as their fan) that Mao and Dai now can lay down their burden for these things finally, I see Yuzuru the only one who can literally shoulder these burden from now on. Unless of course one of Mao or Daisuke, or both, decides to come back to the competitive skating.

■木下グループカップ フィギュアスケート Japan Open 2014 3地域対抗戦
 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
第1弾選手発表!アシュリー・ワグナー、パトリック・チャン、ジェフリー・バトル、
ハビエル・フェルナンデス、エフゲニー・プルシェンコ

[先行特典]B・C・D席は一般発売より1000円安いおトクな割引価格!
B席9,000円→8,000円 / C席7,000円→6,000円 / D席5,000円→4,000円
10/4(土)@さいたまスーパーアリーナ(埼玉県)
http://cc.eplus.jp/c/tl?i=OLFv2LK3sMxydFig
最終先着先行:8/16(土)21:00~8/23(土)9:00

■木下グループpresents カーニバル・オン・アイス 2014
 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
第1弾出演者発表!エフゲニー・プルシェンコ、アシュリー・ワグナー、
パトリック・チャン、ジェフリー・バトル、ハビエル・フェルナンデス

[先行特典]B・C・D席は一般発売より1000円安いおトクな割引価格!
B席11,000円→10,000円 / C席9,000円→8,000円 / D席7,000円→6,000円
10/4(土)@さいたまスーパーアリーナ(埼玉県)
http://cc.eplus.jp/c/tl?i=kUV12Vs3NJrarXt7
最終先着先行:8/16(土)21:00~8/23(土)9:00

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:eek: Why no Yuzuru??? Just a couple of days ago I was so surprised to receive an email from one of the oneline ticket handling companies as follows, and find out they mention that they do have discounted tickets available, and I wondered why... Now I can understand it. IIRC I never saw such thing in the past; for any competitions, where either Mao or Dai, or both were to compete in Japan, it got so hard 'even' to log in these sites in order to pre-reserve tickets normally, all such tickets simply GONE in a second. It used to be a sort of MIRACLE, or winning lottery to be able to get such platinum tickets. No Mao and no Dai, JSF NEEDS Yuzuru for the sake of ticket sales, sponsorships and media attentions. I hope he at least shows up at Carnival on Ice. While I feel relieved (as their fan) that Mao and Dai now can lay down their burden for these things finally, I see Yuzuru the only one who can literally shoulder these burden from now on. Unless of course one of Mao or Daisuke, or both, decides to come back to the competitive skating.

JO is not an ISU event and invites both current and former ISU competitors. Either of them can participate just as Buttle and Rochette, and Plushenko in some years, do. Japanese superstars sell tickets and make JO one of the most lucrative events for the invited skaters. There are reasons we don't know that cause Mao's and Dai's absence.

NMURA

Medalist
FT and JO are a week away. I dont think FT is the reason. Kanako will be in JO just a week after NT. Maybe its Yuzu fragile health. But he didnt need to be in both events. He could withdraw from FT and compete at JO. It looks like he didnt get the JO invitation at all. But why. . . So strange.

I agree the participation of Dai was crucial. Mao too. How they are going to sell Saitama arena now. Actually Mao or Dai or both might be in COI as guest skater. ;)

Murakami won't be at NT, obviously. It looks like the Japanese skaters were named very recently (except Kozuka). They can't fill the Saitama Super Arena without three "stars". TV ratings will drop. It will be a failure as a commercial event. SOmetimes, they need to take a setback. If they cancelled once, it would be much difficult to "resume" in next year.

stryke

On the Ice
OMG. Two of my favourites! I can't wait to see them compete! :party:

I can hardly contain myself at this news. My two absolute favorites will be together much sooner than expected. I wish lived in Japan just to see them.

mich2

Match Penalty
Murakami won't be at NT, obviously. It looks like the Japanese skaters were named very recently (except Kozuka). They can't fill the Saitama Super Arena without three "stars". TV ratings will drop. It will be a failure as a commercial event. SOmetimes, they need to take a setback. If they cancelled once, it would be much difficult to "resume" in next year.
The same with Yuzu. He could simply withdraw from FT and skate in front of his home audience like Mao and Dai did in the past, especially now when he is an OC. Your statement that FT took him is incorrect. How can some B event take a skater? Its the skater who decides to skate there or not.

mich2

Match Penalty
Saitama arena is huge like soccer stadium. Mao and Dai either both or alone could sell it in the past. Yuzuru never had a chance. Maybe he doesnt want to take this responsibility. Its not good for his image and JSF to see empty seats when the local OC is on the ice.
Otherwise his absence this year in the current situation really makes no sense.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Saitama arena is huge like soccer stadium. Mao and Dai either both or alone could sell it in the past. Yuzuru never had a chance. Maybe he doesnt want to take this responsibility. Its not good for his image and JSF to see empty seats when the local OC is on the ice.
I think it's more like he chose FT and didn't give much thought about JP. Let's not forget his DVD's sales is over the combination of Mao, Dai and Shizuka.
I think with JP, it has a lot to do with sponsors. The sponsors for Japan Open are usually sponsors for Dai and Mao, some fans in Japan told me that.

NMURA

Medalist
The same with Yuzu. He could simply withdraw from FT and skate in front of his home audience like Mao and Dai did in the past, especially now when he is an OC. Your statement that FT took him is incorrect. How can some B event take a skater? Its the skater who decides to skate there or not.

It appears that Hanyu was invited by Finlandia trophy. His "assignment" was announced on as early as mid-July. Until last year, FT was held on the same weekend as JO, but it's one week later this year. It could be the case that FT changed the schedule just for Hanyu. And men's FS is scheduled as the closing event. His "cancellation" will be very "inconvenient" for FT. Even the JSF wants to keep good relationships with Finland.

Of course, any skater can't "decide" which event to skate. Their federation decides. If they have a choice, it is given by the federation.

Alain

Match Penalty
Japan Open often invites Dai, the sponsors there are mostly for Dai, people have said so. They mostly invite skaters with IMG contracts, but doesn't mean IMG only. The reason might be simply because of sponsors.
Kinoshita is Plushenko's sponsor? :laugh:
Sponsors are sponsors for the reason. They are not interested in bankruptcy of the event. IMG and Kinoshita are the first ones who would want Yuzu to skate in JO.

Alain

Match Penalty
It appears that Hanyu was invited by Finlandia trophy. His "assignment" was announced on as early as mid-July. Until last year, FT was held on the same weekend as JO, but it's one week later this year. It could be the case that FT changed the schedule just for Hanyu. And men's FS is scheduled as the closing event. His "cancellation" will be very "inconvenient" for FT. Even the JSF wants to keep good relationships with Finland.

Of course, any skater can't "decide" which event to skate. Their federation decides. If they have a choice, it is given by the federation.
Knowing how eager JSF was in getting arenas full it's odd to see that now they let it go. The Embassy of Finland wouldn't get closed I am sure. ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Kinoshita is Plushenko's sponsor? :laugh:
Sponsors are sponsors for the reason. They are not interested in bankruptcy of the event. IMG and Kinoshita are the first ones who would want Yuzu to skate in JO.
Believe it or not, I simply retell what was said by some people in Japan. :p

mich2

Match Penalty

Lol. Diplomatic scandal between Finland and Japan because of FT? So funny ;)
JSF is not interested in empty seats. Why would they be. It makes no sense. It was only logical that with the absence of Mao and Dai people assumed that Yuzuru would participate. I understand that its more relaxing for him to debute a new season in front of a small FT than to take responsibility for the ticket sale in the stadium-size Saitama.
And what do you mean by resume next year? Some miracle will happen and the mega star of Mao and Dai level will appear out of nowhere? :)

vadrouille

Rinkside
Perhaps the sponsors of Japan Open prefer Mura and Kozuka to Yuzuru? Perhaps they think that Team Japan with theirs 4 skaters will win or sell the tickets, no need to have Dai Mao or Yuzuru ? So next year they will invite again the same Team Japan with Dai and Mao? Anyway, I prefer Patrick Chan to skate againgst Kozuka and Mura. So he can be more relaxed and beat them by big margin. Yuzuru can skate at Finlandia Trophy.
Vadrouille

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I think competing at Finlandia has become some kind of good luck charm / superstition for Hanyu.
He wants to start his competitive season there again, and it's really that simple...

hanca

Record Breaker
I think Mao may not be ready to compete at this moment. She was really looking forward to having some time off, and if she was competing so early in the season, she would have to spend the summer making programs and practising. Even though it is not 'serious' competition, if she competed, she would feel that she must do well so that she doesn't disappoint her fans, so she would take her preparation seriously. I do think Mao will be at Japan Open in the future, but now I think she wanted the break.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I know how big Saitama Arena is, cause I've been there twice (at the Nats and the Worlds) last season. That's why I said JSF needs Yuzuru. to avoid many empty seats... Well, a lot of skating fans in this country would feel the same and will be disappointed not to be able to see the reigning Olympic Champion (who is the second compatriot OC after Shizuka, and of course the very first J-man's OC) at this competition. :eek:hwell:

Camillo

On the Ice
Well, that's right, Yuzuru never had a chance, because Saitama arena was used only for JO (Yuzuru never participated), for Nationals 2013 (Yuzu, Dai and Mao) and for WC 2014 (Yuzu and Mao). JO is not the main event after all, FT is preferable for him now, but who knows - he may choose JO next season.

Knowing how eager JSF was in getting arenas full it's odd to see that now they let it go. The Embassy of Finland wouldn't get closed I am sure. ;)
Interesting, and exactly how eager JSF is (was) in getting arenas full? You speak like you have some data concerning ticket sales for nationals and JO - care to share it, please? ;)

Kalina

On the Ice
To be honest when it was announced that JSF had submitted entry for Yuzuru to skate in Finlandia Trophy I immediately thought that the reason this was possible was that either Daisuke or Mao were going to skate at Japan Open :confused: JSF is sanctioning Japan Open after all, and I did not see why his participation in Finlandia Trophy would have been allowed otherwise, whatever he decides to do. I don't think that if all parties involved wanted him to be there, but he did not, that he would have the power, or be in the position to refuse.
There might be other issues underlining everything that we are not aware of, maybe related to the sponsors. How much power do the sponsors have over the choice of the competitors? After all, ever since moving to seniors Yuzuru has only skated in Carnival on Ice, and once, in 2011 (the year where he was appearing in virtually every show because of the earthquake). Daisuke's participation in JO has always been without question, but Kozuka (who is an IMG skater) was preferred over Yuzuru in both 2012 and 2013. Yuzuru has not skated in IMG shows for the past two years, besides Stars on Ice Japan where he has appeared as a 'guest' for one part of the tour, and not as part of the main cast -- unlike Takahito Mura who might or might not have signed with them (I have no idea), but has been appearing in their shows up until The Ice 2014 a few weeks ago. Is it just IMG favoring the skaters connected to them above everyone else?
And what role does Kinoshita Group play? If they had not wanted to invite Yuzuru in the past two years it would have made sense, considering their need to promote their own skater (Daisuke). But now?

:confused2: