2014 Japan Open | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2014 Japan Open

lavender

Record Breaker
Elena: Every time I hear that music, all I can think of is Michelle Kwan. Maybe that made my expectations too high, but Elena's interpretation fell a bit flat. It looks like she's just doing exactly what her choreographer told her to, perfectly, but not really feeling all the moves (until the ChSt and layback spin, which were amazing). But she's so technically strong that I enjoy watching her for that alone.

Every time someone skates to music Michelle skates to I have to usually get it out my head by watching the beautiful version by Michelle. The only one I didn't have to do that to is Carolina's Bolero. Did not like Michelle's Bolero.

I couldn't finish Elena's program because all I could think of was Michelle's masterpiece but it's just me. I'm very particular with some things. I get this way when others skate to some of Lambiel's pieces or Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze '02 olympic short music. The list goes on because imo past skaters had such masterpieces.

OMGFS

Rinkside
The Russian girls just show no pressure while competing. And you gotta love those Japanese fans.

OMGFS

Rinkside
You think Americans have a chance at coming back? So far Russia and Japan are the strongest in ladies.

Skating isn't as it used to be. People didn't care about having an under rotate jump. Which is why most jumps back then looked bigger and cleaner. And now people are in mass hysteria over getting clean triples.

seabm7

Final Flight
Skating isn't as it used to be. People didn't care about having an under rotate jump. Which is why most jumps back then looked bigger and cleaner. And now people are in mass hysteria over getting clean triples.

Well, if you have a bigger jump, then you do get more fully rotated jumps.

When I watch clips from the 6.0 period, I see cheated jumps here and there. But when I first saw those programs a decade ago, I did not realize they were cheated. Even the commentators were praising them like fully rotated jumps. You are right, people did not care at that time. Nowadays they care. Even a casual fan like myself can discern them. But that does not mean the jumps from those age were cleaner than nowadays.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Meh, I know people are uncomfortable with change but I see it as the sport evolving. It comes with any sport really, there's always going to be a change or shift in the focus. The judging system has evolved and changed to try to accommodate fairness, etc and of course it's never perfect but just because people are obsessing over clean triples (which I am guilty of because nothing irks me more than a lip, flutz or major underrotation) doesn't mean there are others that still appreciate the lovely artistry of it (for me it would be the extensions that skaters have in their positions/choreography).