2022 Japan Open | Golden Skate

2022 Japan Open

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2022 Japan Open is an annual invitational senior international figure skating team competition set to take place on Oct. 8, 2022, in Saitama, Japan, at the Saitama Super Arena. The current format (team event) was established in 2006 and is the competition is held every autumn in Japan. Invited skaters compete in the disciplines of men's and ladies' singles. Skaters perform a free program but no short. Individual results are combined for a team standing.
Format:
Men’s Singles: 6 skaters
Women’s Singles: 6 skaters

Team Japan: Kao Miura, Shoma Uno, Rika Kihira, and Kaori Sakamoto
Team Europe: Michal Brezina, Daniel Grassl, Loena Hendrickx and Ekaterina Kurakova
Team North America: Jason Brown, Ilia Malinin, Mariah Bell and Bradie Tennell

Prize Money (per team):
1st = $80,000
2nd = $60,000
3rd = $40,000

TV Coverage: TV Tokyo. Same day coverage – no conflict with any other first time televising in Japan of another ISU Event.

Schedule
Time now in Saitama, Japan

Date
Time
Category
Segment
08 Oct 202212:30:00WomenFree Skating
08 Oct 202214:15:00MenFree Skating

Entries & Programs

WOMEN
No.
Name
Nation
Team
1Loena HENDRIKX
2022-23 FS: "Poeta" by Roby Facchinetti; choreo by Adam Solya
bel.gif
BEL
Europe
2Rika KIHIRA
Last FS: "Titanic" (soundtrack) by James Horner
jpn.gif
JPN
Japan
3Kaori SAKAMOTO
2022/2023 FS: "Elastic Heart" by Sia, Sia Furler, Thomas Pentz, Andrew Swanson; choreo Rohene Ward, Marie-France Dubreuil, Samuel Chouinard
jpn.gif
JPN
Japan
4Ekaterina KURAKOVA
2022-23 FS: "We Are In The Club Now" ("Up" soundtrack) by Michael Giacchino; "Married Life" ("Up" soundtrack) by Michael Giacchino
Up With Titles (Up" soundtrack) by Michael Giacchino; "Memories Can Weight You Down" ("Up" soundtrack) by Michael Giacchino
pol.gif
POL
Europe
5Mariah BELL
Last FS: "Hallelujah" performed by K.D. Lang; choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne
usa.gif
USA
North
America
6Mirai Nagasu
2022-23 FS: "
usa.gif
USA
North
America
WDBradie TENNELL
2022-23 FS: "Four Seasons Medley" by A. Vivaldi, arranged by Cedric Tour; choreo by Benoit Richaud
usa.gif
USA
North
America

MEN

No.
Name
Nation
Team
1Michal BREZINA
Last FS: "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams; "Run to You" by Bryan Adams; "Heaven" by Bryan Adams; "You Belong to Me" by Bryan Adams; choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne
cze.gif
CZE
Europe
2Daniel GRASSL
2022-23 FS: "Struggling Brain" by Guy Skornik & Zab Skornik, arranged by Cedric Tour; "Korea Town" by Danny Bensi, Saunder; "Jurriaans," arranged by Cedric Tour; "Hour of the Ruler" by Joseph Alexander, no 9o arranged by Cedric Tour; "Dans la maison" by Philippe Rombi, arranged by Cedric Tour; choreo by Benoit Richaud
ita.gif
ITA
Europe
WDYuma KAGIYAMA
2022/2023 FS: "Rain, In Your Black Eyes" by Ezio Bosso; choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne, Lori Nichol
jpn.gif
JPN
Japan
3Kao Miura
FS: "Main Title:prologue (from "Beauty and the Beast")" by Alan Menken; "Evermore" (from "Beauty and the Beast") by Alan Menken;
"Transformations" (from "Beauty and the Beast") by Alan Menken; "Beauty" and The Beast (Finale) by Alan Menken; choreo by Kenji Miyamoto, Eiji Iwamoto, Kohei Yoshino
jpn.gif
JPN
Japan
4Shoma UNO
2022-23 FS: "Air on the G String" by HAUSER - Johann Sebastian Bach; "Sanctus Petrus Et Sancta Maria Magdalena: Mea tormenta, properate!" by Jakub Józef Orliński, Johann Adolf Hasse; choreo by Stéphane Lambiel, Kenji Miyamoto, Mihoko Higuchi
jpn.gif
JPN
Japan
5Jason BROWN
Jason is supposed to have a new program. His last FS was Schindler's List
usa.gif
USA
North
America
6Ilia MALININ
2022-23 FS: "Euphoria" (soundtrack) by Labrinth; choreo by Juris Razgulaevs, Shae-Lynn Bourne
usa.gif
USA
North
America

Last edited by a moderator:

icetug

Medalist
Team Japan has been announced: Shoma Uno, Yuma Kagiyama, Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira.
Wow, very strong four :)

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Otherwise, I hope there will be LIVE streaming broadcasted online instead of on TV. I enjoyed watching the streaming from overseas last year. But I think it's less likely going to happen this year, as the competition is switching back to its usual mode of international team competition.

Country
Israel
Ivan Righini (supposed choreographer, I don't know him 😬) tagged Ekaterina Kurakova in a IG story saying she'll perform their exhibition program at the Japan Open, so big hint she'll participate as well

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My guesses for Japan Open
Team Japan. Shoma, Yuma, Kaori and..Mai Miahara
Team North America. Jason, Ilia, Isabeau and Mariah
Team Europe. Deniss, Daniel, Katia and Loena

yesterday

Record Breaker

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My guesses for Japan Open
Team Japan. Shoma, Yuma, Kaori and..Mai Miahara
Correct except for Rika Kihira instead of Mai. I'm a little concerned about that. Do we know anything about Rika's condition? I'm trying to remember if we saw her at ice shows. I thought she was still recuperating from her injury. Wow, that's a powerhouse team! Can't wait to hear who the other participants are.

I saw in Rika's Fan Fest that she was in Stars on Ice. Hope she's in good condition! :cheer2:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Correct except for Rika Kihira instead of Mai. I'm a little concerned about that. Do we know anything about Rika's condition? I'm trying to remember if we saw her at ice shows. I thought she was still recuperating from her injury. Wow, that's a powerhouse team! Can't wait to hear who the other participants are.

I saw in Rika's Fan Fest that she was in Stars on Ice. Hope she's in good condition! :cheer2:
I love Mai too much to not name her, but I really like Rika, too. Mai is the 4CC champion.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Mai too much to not name her, but I really like Rika, too. Mai is the 4CC champion.
I love Mai. I was thinking perhaps she would be a better choice if Rika is still injured. Maybe I'm rushing things a bit, since JO isn't until Oct. That still gives some time for healing if Rika isn't at 100%. Regardless of whom they choose, Team Japan has a really strong team.

icetug

Medalist
Also disappointed, with all due respect to Mick, Deniss and Daniel would have made an awesome team.

They better be wearing shades if Katia and Jason are on the ice at the same time🌞🌞:biggrin:
With Deniss on the same ice the viewers would be in real danger ☀️☀️☀️ so I quite understand the organizers' decision ;)
And as much I'm disappointed that Deniss wasn't invited, I'm happy Michal will be able to perfom his FS he couldn't at Olys. Somehow I feel the FS is necessary to complete Michal's competitive career...