State of the U.S. Men's Figure Skating for 2014-15 | Page 24 | Golden Skate

State of the U.S. Men's Figure Skating for 2014-15

gmyers

Record Breaker
Brown said he gets the "quad frenzy" but he'll do it when he wants to do it or feels like it! Right now its totally unnecessary for him because of spins steps pcs and all other jumps with halfway point bonus in sp and lp.

TMC

Record Breaker

Icey

Record Breaker
Brown said he gets the "quad frenzy" but he'll do it when he wants to do it or feels like it! Right now its totally unnecessary for him because of spins steps pcs and all other jumps with halfway point bonus in sp and lp.

That attitude is not going to lead to gold medals. He might never want to or feel like it. Sometimes one has to do things they don't want to do or feel like doing in order to achieve certain goals (in this case, golds lol). Personally, I don't think anyone is doing him any favors by encouraging this kind of thinking. But, of course, it is, as always, his choice to make.

TMC

Record Breaker
That attitude is not going to lead to gold medals. He might never want to or feel like it. Sometimes one has to do things they don't want to do or feel like doing in order to achieve certain goals (in this case, golds lol). Personally, I don't think anyone is doing him any favors by encouraging this kind of thinking. But, of course, it is, as always, his choice to make.

Well to be fair he didn't really say that, that's just gmyers being weird about the quad (or Jason's lack of it) again.

What Jason said is that he's working hard on the quad and that the second it's consistent, it will be in his programs.

That's exactly what happened with his famously late-blooming triple Axel; he landed his first ones in practice about a week before he put them in his program in a competition (jgpf 2012-2013 iirc).

LRK

Record Breaker
Well to be fair he didn't really say that, that's just gmyers being weird about the quad (or Jason's lack of it) again.

What Jason said is that he's working hard on the quad and that the second it's consistent, it will be in his programs.

That's exactly what happened with his famously late-blooming triple Axel; he landed his first ones in practice about a week before he put them in his program in a competition (jgpf 2012-2013 iirc).

Indeed, he even said that he had time set aside specifically for the quad each day - and gmyers will have to excuse me if I rather take Jason's word for what he is working on, and what he intends. :)

princessomega

Rinkside
I'm sorry to hear that Josh has withdrawn from CoC. I hope he is well enough to go to NHK. I spoke to him when he was preforming with Evening with Champions in Boston and he seemed to be so excited to go to Japan for the first time. I would love for that to definately happen for him.
On the other hand though I would LOVE for Ross to get another GP assignment. He seems to really be bringing it all out this season, but then again I am very much Team BOSSMINER!

gmyers

Record Breaker

"Quad frenzy" is an exact quote. He has put he quad separately from all other areas of skating. He hasn't integrated it. Why should he? He won nebelhorn without a quad over 2 time 4th place worlds finisher with no attempts. His thinking is all wrong for someone seriously considering quads because its unnecessary for him.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

"Quad frenzy" is an exact quote. ...

But ... the part of your post that is not an exact quote from Jason:
"... he'll do it when he wants to do it or feels like it ..."​

Although you did not put quotation marks around that part, your paraphrasing is a misrepresentation of what he has said.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Josh :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Come on universe! Stop picking on him! All I want for him is a clean, good, full season. Is that so much to ask? :cry:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Josh?? Again?? I mean seriously this kid has the worst luck ever. I hope he will be alright in his 2nd GP.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
"Quad frenzy" is an exact quote. He has put he quad separately from all other areas of skating. He hasn't integrated it. Why should he? He won nebelhorn without a quad over 2 time 4th place worlds finisher with no attempts. His thinking is all wrong for someone seriously considering quads because its unnecessary for him.
"I'll do it when I'm ready" is the way all skaters thought under 6.0. "I'll throw it in whether I'm ready or not" seems like a new phenomenon from the last four years. I, for one, would like to see landed quads, not splatty attempts. And that's what Jason seems to want as well.

If he wins Skate America over a clean Machida, then we can question the system. Winning a Senior B over a splatty Brezina just doesn't cut it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Josh?? Again?? I mean seriously this kid has the worst luck ever. I hope he will be alright in his 2nd GP.

I knowwwwww! Why do I always get so attached to the unlucky ones? :cry: :cry:

TMC

Record Breaker

:rolleye:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Jason won Nebelhorn because he had a HUGE PCS advantage over the other competitors. His PCS (SP+LP) was exactly 15 points higher than Brezina, and 21 points higher than Menshov. When he competes against guys who reel in high PCS though, like Ten/Machida/Fernandez/Yan/Hanyu, etc. Brown's PCS advantage won't be able to save him unless he has ambitious technical content to back it up or is absolutely clean.

I like how his priority is quality skating first and foremost and then going for the quad.

Also, Brezina's 4th place finishes at Worlds were 2010 and 2011. It's not a suitable comparison to say Brown beat him, when everyone knows Brezina's skating is unfortunately not what it used to be.

Look at the final scores for a better analysis... He had a clean SP and a score of 83 points... but that would have had him in 8th at last year's Worlds after the SP. His final score would have had him 7th at Worlds. I'm sure he wants to do better than that.

gmyers

Record Breaker
But ... the part of your post that is not an exact quote from Jason:
"... he'll do it when he wants to do it or feels like it ..."​

Although you did not put quotation marks around that part, your paraphrasing is a misrepresentation of what he has said.

Using the word frenzy doesn't indicate any kind of seriousness. In fact frenzy is a mostly negative epithet. So while all the other skaters are invovled in some frenzy he won't be and he'll win stuff like nebelhorn.

"I'll do it when I'm ready" is the way all skaters thought under 6.0. "I'll throw it in whether I'm ready or not" seems like a new phenomenon from the last four years. I, for one, would like to see landed quads, not splatty attempts. And that's what Jason seems to want as well.

If he wins Skate America over a clean Machida, then we can question the system. Winning a Senior B over a splatty Brezina just doesn't cut it.

If Brezina was splatty brown was urry! He ured so much! Didn't matter.

No one can ever be sure they will land any jump but especially a quad the first time they do it in competion. Best to just do it when you first show capability even once and rush it into any competion. Chan didn't wait when he decided on quads. They were in sp and lp and from the summer! Brown is speaking in No intention to do quads eldredge and lysacek speak. It's going to be done the first time at nationals? Lol!!!! Worlds? Lol!!!! No one is that gullible after the eldredge and lysacek years.

I disagree

Jason won Nebelhorn because he had a HUGE PCS advantage over the other competitors. His PCS (SP+LP) was exactly 15 points higher than Brezina, and 21 points higher than Menshov. When he competes against guys who reel in high PCS though, like Ten/Machida/Fernandez/Yan/Hanyu, etc. Brown's PCS advantage won't be able to save him unless he has ambitious technical content to back it up or is absolutely clean.

I like how his priority is quality skating first and foremost and then going for the quad.

Also, Brezina's 4th place finishes at Worlds were 2010 and 2011. It's not a suitable comparison to say Brown beat him, when everyone knows Brezina's skating is unfortunately not what it used to be.

Look at the final scores for a better analysis... He had a clean SP and a score of 83 points... but that would have had him in 8th at last year's Worlds after the SP. His final score would have had him 7th at Worlds. I'm sure he wants to do better than that.

If brown had been at those worlds he would have got that worlds level of pcs. Been judged compared to the others and would've been top 6 like at Olympics or better.

Ambitious content is ambitious for a reason -its very risky. Browns plan is very cop in that he's about maximizing what they are best at and why he won nebelhorn. Brown better than machida and ten at spins and steps and its not even close there. I think brown will beat ten and machida at pcs because he is considered better than them.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
For posterity: The men's SP at Skate America has ended; Jason Brown earned 40.81 PCS, while Tatsuki Machida earned 43.74.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Using the word frenzy doesn't indicate any kind of seriousness. In fact frenzy is a mostly negative epithet. So while all the other skaters are invovled in some frenzy he won't be and he'll win stuff like nebelhorn. ...

Huh? This "answer" has nothing to do with my point that your other words (other than "quad frenzy") misrepresented what Jason has said.

(Not expecting you to attempt to respond again.)