Foot injury knocks Gold out of Grand Prix Final | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Foot injury knocks Gold out of Grand Prix Final

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She could try and get a medical bye, no? Her making the GPF and winning NHK should be enough for the USFSA to consider putting her on the World Team if she's not fully healed by then

Considering she finished 4th at the Olympics and helped get and keep those 3 spots at Worlds and is the defending US champion yeah i'd say she should get a bye to Worlds if she can't go at Nationals. What is the alternative? Hoping Cesario, Hicks or even Nagasu finish high enough with Ashley to keep those 3 spots at Worlds? With the way Ashley is going she might have a hard time making it into the top 6 at Worlds and those other girls are not going to make it into the top 6 either.

Last edited:

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
This is horrible. I was rooting for Gracie to do well. I was happy that she managed to make the GPF.

Get well soon, Gracie. :cry:

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Considering she finished 4th at the Olympics and helped get and keep those 3 spots at Worlds and is the defending US champion yeah i'd say she should get a bye to Worlds if she can't go at Nationals. What is the alternative? Hoping Cesario, Hicks or even Nagasu finish high enough with Ashley to keep those 3 spots at Worlds? With the way Ashley is going she might have a hard time making it into the top 6 at Worlds and those other girls are not going to make it into the top 6 either.

This. If she is healthy enough, Gold is going to Worlds. Bowman, Eldredge and Kwan (Olympics) are precedents. Ironically, Bowman and Kwan's injuries prevented them from competing.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Worlds are in late March so Gracie has over 3 and a half months to get healthy and healed so that shouldn't be a issue.

emma

Record Breaker
Darn! So sorry to hear about her injury. Wishing her speedy and fully recovery!!!!

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I was so happy that the qualified for the GPF:no:
I hope she'll get well soon!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think maybe she doesn't want to compete and lose to Russians? Because a stress fracture doesn't develop suddenly.

I'm sure Gracie would have competed if she could have. (Why does a withdrawal from a Grand Prix event always cause these kinds of comments?)

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Very sorry for Gracie, but she's probably making the right decision. Implying that she withdrew to avoid competing with the Russian girls is ridiculous; she has to compete with them at Worlds. Excited for Rika, what an amazing opportunity for her.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Very sorry for Gracie, but she's probably making the right decision. Implying that she withdrew to avoid competing with the Russian girls is ridiculous; she has to compete with them at Worlds. Excited for Rika, what an amazing opportunity for her.

I mean if we are going to go with ridiculous conspiracy theories it seems not wanting to face Ashley is the much juicer drama filled option!

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am so sorry for Gracie having to withdraw. I remember Michelle Kwan having a stress fracture back in 1997 and having to withdraw from the GPF and having to wear a cast and being off the ice for weeks, so I'm wondering how Gracie is still going to continue to train and skate without making it worse.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am so sorry for Gracie having to withdraw. I remember Michelle Kwan having a stress fracture back in 1997 and having to withdraw from the GPF and having to wear a cast and being off the ice for weeks, so I'm wondering how Gracie is still going to continue to train and skate without making it worse.

According to Lynn Rutherford she can still "spin and stroke" so she can at least keep her ice legs so to speak.

Icey

Record Breaker
Have the rules changed? I recall Michelle just choosing not to compete in the final one year even though she was not injured.

Manitou

Medalist
Question: do skaters get paid, and how much, just for participation in GPF? I am asking if Gracie loses money by withdrawal.

--

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Question: do skaters get paid, and how much, just for participation in GPF? I am asking if Gracie loses money by withdrawal.

--

Yes. Per the announcement: http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/156242/gp-general-announcement-2014_15_final.pdf

Men and Ladies Pair Skating and Ice Dance (per Couple)
1st place: US$ 25,000.00 US$ 25,000.00
2nd place: US$ 18,000.00 US$ 18,000.00
3rd place: US$ 12,000.00 US$ 12,000.00
4th place: US$ 6,000.00 US$ 6,000.00
5th place: US$ 4,000.00 US$ 4,000.00
6th place: US$ 3,000.00 US$ 3,000.00

Skaters/Couples who cannot complete the Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, will not receive any Prize Money
or other appearance fee. It is also at the discretion of the ISU Coordination group, whether Skaters/Couples,
who cannot finish the Grand Prix Final due to any reason, must cover the travel expenses, as well as the local
costs for hotel and full board by themselves.

So since travel expenses are covered, this is $3,000 MINIMUM free and clear. So the silly notion that Gracie would skip out on that money to not get beat by anyone seems silly.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@icenetwork
.@GraceEGold on her media teleconference, fighting back tears: "I wanted to go [to Barcelona] and fight the Russians."
12:25 PM - 4 Dec 2014
https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/540602849353539584

If this tweet already was posted in the thread, my apologies for redundancy.

But I hope that no one seriously believes that anything other than injury is the reason that Gracie has withdrawn.

Best to her.

Last edited:

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
I'm happy that Rika is able to get an opportunity to compete in the GPF but of course not in this kind of circumstance. ;( I feel bad for Gracie ;( I hope she recovers soon. But it is good to pull out from the competition rather than endure it and make the injury so much worse. Hopefully she'll recover in time for Nationals...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If this tweet already was posted in the thread, my apologies for redundancy.

But I hope that no one seriously believes that anything other than injury is the reason that Gracie has withdrawn.

Best to her.

I'm sure she is very disappointed to miss the first GPF that she qualified for. I also think it's best to take the skaters on their word. Injuries happen and usually at the worst time because that is when athletes are putting in the most work.

Manitou

Medalist
Holy crap, I must admit I never knew how much they are really making, but I am shocked. Losing in the first round in tennis Premier Mandatory is the same as third place in GP final. I am embarrassed for the skaters they must compete for this pocket change. :(

--

Last edited:
Have the rules changed? I recall Michelle just choosing not to compete in the final one year even though she was not injured.

Michelle Kwan was in a unique situation in 2002-03. She had already announced that she was not going to do the Grand Prix. But in the lead-up Skate America, headliner Sarah Hughes withdrew, and both Bereshnaya/Sikharudlidze and Sale/Pelletier withdrew -- not sure if Anissina and Peiserat were schedule to skate or not. (Alexei Yagudin skated the short program but withdrew before the long.) So the USFSA has no choice but to beg Michelle tpo come in and save the show. They "made her an offer that Shep couldn't refuse," and Michelle joked afterword that she felt like Michael Corleone -- "Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in."

I believe that part of the deal (in addition to a ton of cash) was that she would not be required to skate in any other events or the Grand Prix Final (which she qualified for despite competing in only one event. Somehow the USFSA got the ISU to OK the deal.

In general, though, I think skaters must agree to skate in the Final if they qualify as part of their contract to compete on the Grand Prix, barring injury.