Spectacular Chan mines gold in Taipei | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Spectacular Chan mines gold in Taipei

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
good luck with the password :)

for the loop combo... I just think that he often doubled the Salchow ... so i started to dislike it....

here are the points

Current LP Layout (no need to talk about the 10% bonus because both passes get it so it's equivalent.

other idea

So, that's another .7 he could gain....

I am going to try to hack your account by trying password Patrick, Chan, Pchiddy, Chan'sTheMan, etc. :)

I usually don't like half-loop combos either because it just looks like the skater made an awkward mistake. But Patrick was skater that made me a believer in such elements. His half-loop combos are great. I think the key is to step into the half-loop with conviction.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, the butchering of her name was cringeworthy. :drama:

Don't you think we should just be happy that someone likes a skater, and wants to post about it, rather than if they spell the name correctly?

Between my hubby and me, we have nine languages covered (other than our native English) four fluently. In a social setting, we could care less about someone else's pronunciation or spelling. Now, if you were to take one of his tests at University and spelled it wrong, you'd be dinged. But this ain't Skating U.

And, since I can hear it now, it has jack squat nada zilch to do with respect. Deliberately misspelling to mock someone is disrespectful. Otherwise .... Nope.

Now let's all love Mirai Aileen Nagasu:ghug:

da96103

Record Breaker
I agree. I thought he struggled for many of his landings. I also think HE should of gotten a costume deduction when his bare abdomen was exposed on one of his spins. I wanted to pull his shirt down and tuck it in. I also think he looks terrified when he competes.

I remembered Max Aaron also had an 'abs-exposed' moment during one of his skates. I also thought Max and Han Yan's costume were almost the same, maybe they went shopping together and took the 'Buy-1-Free-1' offer.

da96103

Record Breaker
I don't think it's in Team Chan's plan to add another quad this season. They wouldn't rush things. It's quite probable he may debut his 4S next season with the right choreography.

This is very risky except for the few with supreme confidence in their quads. If the first quad lacks the flow for a combo, he can add the 3T to the last jump. Another quad doesn't offer the same security. Patrick seems to prefer to include an element of 80% success rate instead of including it anyway to eventually hit everything for a huge score.

As well, he can't repeat the same quad as in the LP.

Actually he can repeat the 4T in SP if he can do 4T+4T, 3A, 3Lz. That is if his 4S is completely unreliable and he can rotate 4 times on the second jump. I think this layout may be even higher than 4T+3T, 4S, 3A.

Let's see
4T+4T (20.6)
3A (8.5)
3Lz (6.0)
Total (35.1)

compared to

4T+3T (14.6)
4S (10.5)
3A (8.5)
Total (33.6)

but would be less compared to Boyang
4Lz+3T (17.9)
4T (10.3)
3A (8.5)
Total (36.7)

Note: second half 10% bonus not taken into account

da96103

Record Breaker
Well I thought that Maria skated great at Four Continents. :yes:

On a related note, Mirai's middle name is Aileen. One time it was misspelled "Alien" in the official program for an event.

Mirai is a MAN? Mirai Aileen Nagasu!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Actually he can repeat the 4T in SP if he can do 4T+4T, 3A, 3Lz. That is if his 4S is completely unreliable and he can rotate 4 times on the second jump. I think this layout may be even higher than 4T+3T, 4S, 3A.

Let's see
4T+4T (20.6)
3A (8.5)
3Lz (6.0)
Total (35.1)

compared to

4T+3T (14.6)
4S (10.5)
3A (8.5)
Total (33.6)

but would be less compared to Boyang
4Lz+3T (17.9)
4T (10.3)
3A (8.5)
Total (36.7)

Note: second half 10% bonus not taken into account

Right. As long as you're just designing on paper for someone else to execute, why not have him do 4T/4T and 4S while Jin can do 4Lz/4T and 4S? Heck, turn the 3A into 4A as well.

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
Well, this is an interesting question. Michelle was playing a Character/Role of Salome and IMO, Patrick is doing an Interpretive Dance and they are two different things. I hope that made sense.

Great point! So, simple or understated for music without a character theme and something more elaborate and thematic for the opposite, but not vice versa?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Great point! So, simple or understated for music without a character theme and something more elaborate and thematic for the opposite, but not vice versa?

I think it goes both ways. I have certainly played Characters and done interpretive dance. They both offer a great base, or starting point when developing a program. I'm pretty sure most people know by now that Plushy and Patrick are two of my all time favs. IMO, their style's are not very similar but I love them both. I will say that Yags was the best performer. I mean this as a compliment, He was like the male version of Ashley Wagner. Unfortunately, when I saw him in 2001 he was injured and lost to Plushy but, he was certainly a crowd favorite.

Back to Michelle. I believe her SP was an Interpretive Dance to Fiesta Flamenco. That added with the Role of Salame, gave her two great programs of different styles and won her the World Championship.

Last edited:

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
I think it goes both ways. I have certainly played Characters and done interpretive dance. They both offer a great base, or starting point when developing a program. I'm pretty sure most people know by now that Plushy and Patrick are two of my all time favs. IMO, their style's are not very similar but I love them both. I will say that Yags was the best performer. I mean this as a compliment, He was like the male version of Ashley Wagner. Unfortunately, when I saw him in 2001 he was injured and lost to Plushy but, he was certainly a crowd favorite.

Back to Michelle. I believe her SP was an Interpretive Dance to Fiesta Flamenco. That added with the Role of Salame, gave her two great programs of different styles and won her the World Championship.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring specifically to music-costume relationship. My guess is that, for those to whom costuming matters, an understated or unadorned costume is preferred for music that doesn't have a character-based theme, while something like Kwan's Salome was more dependent on a more evocative and decorated kind of costume.

In ballet the costuming in something like Sleeping Beauty does not bother me because it is part of a gesamtkunstwerk. However, I'd almost prefer skaters wore more stripped down costumes regardless of the theme of the music because, as you said, it can be nice to have a clearer picture of the skater's body. And while I agree that Patrick's body is one I don't mind looking at its still a bit bulkier than I prefer for a male skater. I like a more lithe physique. Jin and Hanyu's jumping prowess seems all the more amazing because they don't necessarily look like they should be able to perform such feats.

Lexiglass

On the Ice
And while I agree that Patrick's body is one I don't mind looking at its still a bit bulkier than I prefer for a male skater. I like a more lithe physique. Jin and Hanyu's jumping prowess seems all the more amazing because they don't necessarily look like they should be able to perform such feats.

It's so funny how different people see things so differently - I feel exactly the opposite! One of the things I like most about Patrick's skating is how powerful and substantial it feels, particularly his quads which just demand attention and I think his physique plays a big role in that. Jin in particular is a skater whose difficult jumps sometimes don't have quite as much impact for me because he's so lithe (excluding the 4lz-3t, which is pretty amazing).

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
Interesting indeed. I am definitely impressed when Patrick lands his quad-triple like he did at 4CC, in fact I think I've said before that when it's on it's probably the best one in men's skating. It is just that he physically appears to be quite strong versus the other two that, just standing there, you wouldn't necessarily think the same of them.