2016 ISU Congress | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 ISU Congress

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ah, that makes more sense. But I totally could see Mathman throwing a reference to a mathematician out there for fun. ;)

slider11

Medalist
Can someone confirm: Will ISU judges no longer be anonymous for the 2016-17 skating year or does this provision kick in after the Olympics? I hope it happens this coming year.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Polish commentators use the term 'Euler' all the time.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Can someone confirm: Will ISU judges no longer be anonymous for the 2016-17 skating year or does this provision kick in after the Olympics? I hope it happens this coming year.

I don't have anything to give confirmation but everything I've seen says it's supposed to start immediately.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Glad that THIS decision seems to be stupid not only for me, but also athletes. ( I would post direct link, but it doesn't work for me and below there is citation of Maegan Duhamel comments).

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Personal pet peeve: I hate the term "half loop" and wish the jump had its own name altogether. Shouldn't a true "half loop" be when the skater goes into the jump as they would a "regular" loop, only does half a rotation in the air, and lands facing forward on the same foo as takeoff?

*grumble grumble groan mutter*

Ironically, I don't have a problem with the fact that there's also a turn called a loop. ;)

In Polish terminology that distinction is more straightforward. We call loop jump - Rittberger (after Werner Rittberger), "half loop" is known here as Euler. In the past ''euler'' put inside into combo would make it barely a sequence.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Why did they not go the whole hog and say "Right. FS starting order is fixed as the reverse order of the SP results"?!

I (and quite a few others) have been calling for that for years! Makes the competition a lot simpler to follow, and has the added bonus of building up the drama right to the end.

You don't get a situation like this year's Ladies competition at Worlds where you know for definite who has won when there are still 2 or 3 skaters still to go.

They do it like that in ski jumping and alpine skiing, and it means you always get an exciting finish.

Talk about a missed opportunity! :bang: :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

I always have problem with that skating order, this is sensitive issue for sure. Both formulas possess their pros and cons - I can't make up my mind which is more fair. That new proposal with top 3 getting fixed as the last 3 to skate in FS strikes me as an odd hybrid for the same reason. I have no problem with current format even if it means that sometimes we get anticlimatic / dead rubber ending. I like abolishing of anonymous judging but most of the rest of these new things that they want to implement seem constrained. It's like they try hard to do something and for some reason they feel that urgent need to make changes in everything whether it's for good or not, hopefully some internal force will make them contain themselves. It makes me think about politicians and legislative diarrhea that they create. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Making programs shorter is a bad idea, the only reason behind it might be some subjective ''TV marketability'' that ISU wants to peddle which is nonsense. 4:30 for pairs if perfect.
They should rather ask skaters first and consult with them before manipulating.

I agree to disagree :)
In IMO the purpose of figure skating isn't just landing jumps (who may still be ugly) or doing some clean elements. It' a sport, and in sport, the falls happens. In every discpline, unless you're swimming :p But everyone is entitled to have their own preferences, so I understand this is yours. I leave watching clean, artistic skates for shows and in competition I except fighting for the points :)

I share your view.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
The short program hasn't actually been shortened. In theory, for some skaters it may have been lengthened.

It had been 2:50 maximum. So anything over 2:50 would get a deduction, but anything under was fine, even it was much shorter.

Now the length is defined as 2:40 +/- 10 seconds, similar to the way freeskate lengths are defined. So 2:50 is still legal, 2:51 or longer would still get a deduction, and now 2:29 or shorter would also get a deduction.

cl2

Final Flight
The short program hasn't actually been shortened. In theory, for some skaters it may have been lengthened.

It had been 2:50 maximum. So anything over 2:50 would get a deduction, but anything under was fine, even it was much shorter.

Now the length is defined as 2:40 +/- 10 seconds, similar to the way freeskate lengths are defined. So 2:50 is still legal, 2:51 or longer would still get a deduction, and now 2:29 or shorter would also get a deduction.

In practice, I don't see how this change will shorten the total competition time, which, if I understood correctly, was the intention of this rule change. A shrewd skater will always try to max out his/her music time, to get as close to 2:40 + 10 seconds, because more time to perform the same number of elements is always to his/her competitive advantage.

waxel

Final Flight

Yes, does anyone know when anonymous judging ends? I understand most new rules will happen in 18-19 season. But hopefully this rule will start this season.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Yes, does anyone know when anonymous judging ends? I understand most new rules will happen in 18-19 season. But hopefully this rule will start this season.

It will be happening immediately, according to an ISU member.

Bartek

On the Ice
Is there any info regarding the shortening of the free skate? Do skaters have to get their programs rechoreographed now???

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Is there any info regarding the shortening of the free skate? Do skaters have to get their programs rechoreographed now???

Starting from 2018-9 season, so no problems for this season or the Olympic one.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
That would be Kurt Euler according to this German Wikipedia entry (still can't believe that even exists). Also from Wikipedia about the half loop: "This jump is also known as the Thoren (after Per Thorén), or, especially in artistic roller skating, as the Euler jump."
In roller skating we do almost always use the name Thoren (at least here in Italy), which is also the one used in our regulations, whereas Euler is more common in ice skating (Italian ice skating commentators such as Franca Bianconi often use it). Another difference is that in roller skating Rittberger and Loop refer to two different jumps ;)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In Polish terminology that distinction is more straightforward. We call loop jump - Rittberger (after Werner Rittberger), "half loop" is known here as Euler. In the past ''euler'' put inside into combo would make it barely a sequence.

Thanks. I learned something new today. :yes:

I wonder why they just don't call it a Euler in English speaking countries... It would make a lot more sense than trying to explain why a half loop is really nothing like a loop. Hmm.