New programs for Totmianina and Marinin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New programs for Totmianina and Marinin

Linny

Final Flight
LOL and Thanx

"Tatiana had said that they want to work on getting more emotion in their skating"
LOL! More? Tatiana - try "any". :D

Oh, and thanx, Mathman, for the information on Ave Maria. You are truly a font of information!

Linny

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Thanks for the music source site, Mathman. (try saying THAT three times fast! :laugh: ) I listened to every one of the pieces and spent about half an hour in heaven.

Nan

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
But the music is CALLED "Ave Maria", not "Ellen's Song" or "Bach's Variations on a Well-Tempered Clavicord". "Ave Maria" means 'Hail Mary' in Latin, and it is a PRAYER.

How could it be skating to a prayer if they are just using the music? Yes I know it's called Ave Maria, but they aren't skating to the words.

I really don't see the big deal though considering to me it's just beautiful music.

euterpe

Medalist
"Ave Maria" has a religious association for me and for many others, and I find the use of religious music in a competition offensive. If the music was part of a Christmas skating spectacular, it would be appropriate in that setting. In a competition, no.

diver chick

On the Ice
Ave Maria has religious significance for me too but I have no probs with people using the music.

Gosh if you took that stance with music there would be a lot of stuff skaters could not use as a lot of music has religious connotations.

I think Ave Maria will be good music for these two. Until I saw them live they did nothing much for me but live they have beautiful elegant lines and soft knees and I think they can do justice to this piece.

Funnily enough everyone says how much emotion Tatiana lacks - personally I think it has a lot to do with findng the right program. For example I loved their blues program as I feel she has the 'look' for it. I wuld also be interested to see them do some kind of 1920's themed program as again I get the impression she has that kind of look. If that makes *any* sense!! :laugh:

lotusland

On the Ice
Ave Maria is, one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever composed. For a skater/team who truly feels their music, this is a wonderful choice, euterpe's point notwithstanding.

IMHO, T & M are very "wooden." Tatiana in particular. The team is not G&G. Nor are they B&S for that matter. To bring out their connection to their music, it has become very clear, this team absolutely has to skate to something they can relate to. They have skated to some great musical choices in the past, for me they have all missed the mark. When I watch T & M (I've seen them both in person and on the TV) I see a team that appear to be heavily concentrating on executing their program elements and, in the case of Chicago, just even being able to get through their program without collapsing.

Will Ave Maria, or Scherazade, or Lori Nichol, be their breakthrough? That would be nice ... we'll have to wait and see.

Mathman, thanks for the history on the various Ave Maria pieces. :)

diver chick

On the Ice
My personal opinion is that they are not as devoid of emotion as everyone seems to think - as a pair I like them quite a lot more than I like B&S.
I would never ever advocate staying with some-one who treats you badly and for that reason I am glad Elena no longer skates with Oleg, however the program that sticks in my mind is the SP they did in 1994/95 and she was a vision, huge personality, huge smile and huge presence. For whatever reason - and she obviously has many reasons - I felt she really withdrew into herself after the accident and I have never really felt drawn into a performance of hers and Antons other than the odd charlie chaplin routine.

euterpe

Medalist
Sorry, but T/M have never impressed me on the 'interpretation' side. Their "West Side Story" and "Cotton Club" programs stand out in my mind as the most uninvolved and robotic performances I have ever seen. They skate as one physically, but there is never any emotional bond between them.

They skated to "Maria" completely deadpan, never looking at one another, never showing any connection. Their "Cotton Club" was perfectly performed but they never grasped the spirit of the music or got into the rhythms.

Now they are using religious music. Bah!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Antilles said:
I was kind of hoping they'd keep last year's Edvin Marton program, since they didn't get to skate it much. I thought it was a nice program.
I was hoping the same thing. I loved that program.

Dee

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
T&M Choreography
I don't think T&M should go down the classical path -- I don't think it works for them. I see them doing the type of choreography Brasseur & Eisler did. Unfortunately, that is not the way to win OGM.

Ave Maria
I agree that it is more than just a piece of music, but it all depends on how it is used. For me personally, it mainly evokes a song by a Russian bard Galich who used pieces of Ave Maria (and some words, too) for an emotionally wrenching song about a mother of a son who died in Stalin's purges.

lotusland

On the Ice
You are correct euterpe, I was thinking Cotton Club, but I typed Chicago. Thanks.

My overall impression of that specific program was that although the choreography was fine enough, T & M struggled with either their cardio or perhaps general strength. They always looked like they were dead on their blades at the end of the program, and I remember a couple of events where they looked about ready to literally collapse at the 2/3 - 3/4 point in the program.

I think the reason some people might find T&M best suited to bluesy music is because Tatiana always skates with an expression of complete boredom on her face. I overheard someone in the seats behind me at Worlds say that Tatiana looked like she needed an "I'd rather be doing anything but this" bumper sticker stuck on her pituty :laugh:

Personally, I'd like to see them give a piece of Russian (character) music a try.

Linny

Final Flight
Boredom?

Is Tatiana's expression or lack thereof boredom? Complete concentration? Abject shyness? Aloofness?

She rivals Keith Richards in her ability to meld her features into stone.

Linny

cygnus

Rinkside
lotusland said:

Will Ave Maria, or Scherazade, or Lori Nichol, be their breakthrough? That would be nice ... we'll have to wait and see.

Mathman, thanks for the history on the various Ave Maria pieces. :)

This team is not exactly my favourite either, but when I saw their Greig SP a couple of years ago, I thought it was wonderful, and that it might be their "breakthrough" program. It didn't end up that way, as they reverted to theor old wooden style although last year's FS had a lot of potential- I wish they had kept it a bit longer, since they only used it a couple of times.

Lucy25

Final Flight
FYI, at Skate Detroit, Totmianina had her hair in a ponytail. She must be growing it out. I am so used to seeing her hair so short that it was surprising to see the ponytail.

diver chick

On the Ice
The short hair really suits her. In 1999 she had really long hair down her back and it made her look quite young. Admittadly she was only 15 or so at the time :laugh: