What do U Think? | Golden Skate

What do U Think?

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Miki should be dissapointed...I just saw the ladies freeskate on TV.. She definatley outskated Arakawa in the free... To my surprise Miki's artisty is much improved..

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Ok, So I am not a Miki fan at all... but she was by far the best of the ladies tonight. Her artistry and flow accross the ice is definately improving as the season continues.... her spiral continues to not be good however.

I also love her costume, very demure.

ITA, Liz. Miki was fine tonight. But that spiral -- it's not so much the position as the edge quality that needs work.

MM

soogar

Record Breaker
After watching Miki, all I can say is that everyone needs to watch their backs. She's going to win the OGM. I think it's good that she's not winning everything in sight. You can tell by her reactions in the kiss & cry that she's hungry to win. I also think that with the alleged coaching change to Priscilla Hill (this is the rumor on FSU), that Miki will improve artistically and learn something from Johnny on how to skate smart in competitions. I'm glad that she has stopped going for the quad in the LP and is concentrating on skating a clean performance. It's going to give her a lot of confidence for Worlds and the Olympics to have clean programs under her belt.

Yoshie's presentation at NHK looked a lot better than at Canada. She's keeping her arms up and it's making a difference.

Soogar - Every once in a while we agree, and we do with Miki. I won't go so far as OGM but she will be on that podium. She skates with abandon and still makes all the tricks. That in itself puts her in another class. The presentation was good if not up to Shizuka's yet, and I do mean yet. Maybe with Priscilla she will get a knockout presentation especially with Johnny there to tease her. I can see them both working on their quads with elegance.

Priscilla, it seems, is getting a name for herself with Johnny as did Robin did with Sarah. Nice to have some American coaches in demand.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
equestrianguy said:
Miki should be dissapointed...I just saw the ladies freeskate on TV.. She definatley outskated Arakawa in the free... To my surprise Miki's artisty is much improved..

Under the 6.0 system she would have won, by winning the free skate.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
No convinced of that...

Vash01 said:
Under the 6.0 system she would have won, by winning the free skate.

Since the COP puts more specific emphasis on particular program elements technically, and particular presentation / skating skills areas, I'm not sure we will ever know if the ordinals would have been the same for the short or the long under the old system...

DG

I assume there will be many contests that will turn out different in the new judging system. If not, why bother to change?

Hikaru

Final Flight
OK I just finished watching NHK, and I have to say that Miki is improving day by day. Good for her! she seemed really happy out there, in her hometown, and yes, the spiral still looks a little shaky, but I think she is working on it 'cause I notice she was trying to put more strech to it, she needs to hold those edges. If it is true that she'll train with Priscilla, perhaps that would give her a new view to her skating, and training alongside with Johnny could be a plus, since he has a beautiful presentation as well.

I also agree that perhaps the fact that Miki doesn't win everything is good because she is learning and watching her performances to improve. She'd gonna have a plan, some sort of structure (reminds me of Cynthia who also has a structure and seems to be taking each step with ease).

I'm still a little picky with Yoshie, although I see changes from past presentations, I still would like to see her finish the in-between moves a little better. But one of the things I really like from her, aside from the power in her jumps, is the smile she got when she was at the end of the program, she really looked happy and that is very important, to enjoy the program.