No Ice Channel For Now | Golden Skate

No Ice Channel For Now

Shaky economy. We've known that for the past 4 years. I can understand that with the limited interest in 24 hour figure skating, it would take a booming economy to support one. Unfortunately, we have other priorities in America.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I really didn't think this would happen...I'm not surprised at all...

nymkfan51

Medalist
Well I am really disappointed. I guess I didn't really expect that it would come to be, but I was certainly hoping so.
The thing that just irritates the heck out of me is that there are so many crap cable channels out there, showing complete trash ... and there is so much that is good about figure skating, and an awful lot of folks who would support a channel devoted to it. Sometimes when I am channel surfing looking for something to watch, I am overwhelmed by the absolute nonsense that is broadcast ... and to think those channels can get on TV and the Ice Channel can't, is just aggravating! :mad:

Okay, sorry ... rant over.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
ITA!!!

Have you noticed when channel surfing that no matter what time it is, even when most of the cable channels have gone to infomercials CARTOONS are on 24/7....WHY? Maybe we need to look to Ron Popeil or Spongebob Squarepants to fund the Ice Channel?

Jill

On the Ice
That's too bad, but I didn't really expect it to work either. The time they should really have stepped up to the plate was back around the huge skating boom of the mid nineties. In the years following the Harding/Kerrigan era, there were so many skating shows & competitions it might have worked. Now, they can't even get enough pros to put together a decent competition.

IcePrincess

Rinkside
I'm not giving up hope yet! Even if its not this year, it still might be possible to have a wonderful network like this someday. Hey, you never know what could happen. If there can be a Golf Channel, there can certainly be a Figure Skating Channel! :agree: I have complete faith that someday there will be a skating channel! :cool:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't understand why it HAS to be 24/7 I wouldn't mind having infomercials after a certain time... jmho... blaming everything else doesn't seem, to me, to make sense or seem like all ideas just won't work. Ok so I don't know all of what they've done but come on!!! :rofl:

couldn't they try to partner with one of the networks? granted they wouldn't have as much freedom, but at least they'd get on the air!! :rofl:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Why can't ESPN Classic at least show some of the better Worlds/Olympic matchups from years past? They show college football from 20 years ago....let me think about this would I rather see Penn State play Notre Dame AGAIN or the battle of the Brians hmmm...............?

Lucy25

Final Flight
If not a skating channel, why not a sports channel directed toward women's sports? Right now ESPN is directed to men, hence all the men's sports. If they had a women's sports channel, they could watch classic and current skating, gymnastics, and other events in which women are excelling, or enjoy watching, like diving. They could also spotlight up and coming women athletes.

Crizzy

Rinkside
Yeah and ESPN was more than willing to grant an extra slot for that poker show "Tilt". :sheesh:

Common, poker-a sport?!?! :mad:

What the ...(lots of profanity)!!!!

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Lucy25 said:
If not a skating channel, why not a sports channel directed toward women's sports? Right now ESPN is directed to men, hence all the men's sports. If they had a women's sports channel, they could watch classic and current skating, gymnastics, and other events in which women are excelling, or enjoy watching, like diving. They could also spotlight up and coming women athletes.
Along the same lines, we ought to start a "more sports" channel... If you've ever been to a mainstream media site (like espn.com) and looked for results other than football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or golf, you have to scroll way down and click on "more sports". Every once in a while things like tennis and soccer will pop out of more sports and have their own link, but mostly it's the top 5 listed above.
It seems like US coverage of winter sports in general has declined. We could see all those things- luge, bobsled, even skiing is getting relatively little coverage these days. In the summer, show track & field, triathlon, swimming and diving, equestrian, fencing, volleyball (tho beach volleyball gets a fair amt of coverage).

bronxgirl

Medalist
Equestrian a fair amount of coverage? Only if you consider equestrian sport to consist of show jumping. The other parts of the sport- eventing, dressage, reining, driving are ignored almost completely unless it's either the Olympics, or a show devoted to Quarter horses.

Bronxgirl, you and Sk8fanconvert are on the same page. He says that with a "more sports" channel we could see more equestian. The "fair amount of coverage" was about beach volleyball.

Which, I believe, has a rule that the costumes for the ladies can have only an inch of fabric where the front and back of the swimming suit come together on the side, LOL.

MM

Jhar55

Medalist
Well that figures, unless you want to watch boring golf, fishing. ESPN still doesn't get it they've showed GPF what 4 times now. And since when is poker a sport? Not all cable companies carry ESPN Classic, mine doesn't. Heck auto racing has it's own channel.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I'm not surprised it seeemed like to much of a good thing. Plus it would probably take years for my cable company to carry it anyway.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It was a nice dream while it lasted. :cry:

I can't help but feel a little relieved though because if it had turned into a reality I think I would've had no life! (Not that I have one now!) I would've been in front of the TV 24 hours a day! ;)

Perhaps someday...

S

SkateFan4Life

This is disappointing, but I'm not all that surprised. The white-hot interest in figure skating that erupted as a result of the Kerrigan attack - which occurred eleven years ago - has waned considerably. Look at all the empty seats at the various competitions and ice shows. Perhaps this decline in avid skating interest from the general public is a sign of the times - there are other issues that certainly take precedence over skating these days.

The economy isn't as healthy as we'd like to believe, either. Probably the major corporations who would have been approached (or who have already been approached) to bankroll this channel just didn't think it was worth the risk and/or the investment.

To be honest, how much interest is there in a 24/7 figure skating channel? I have to admit, that as avid a skating fan as I am, I only have so much free time, and I sure could not, and would not, watch hours and hours of this stuff every night. Sorry, but I have a life. :biggrin:

Of course, if the Ice Channel could somehow build programs that take on a "reality" flavor, there might be more interest. Of perhaps a "survival" flavor would be even more popular. You know - if you miss your landing on your triple axel five times you get voted out of the rink. :rofl:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I'm not surprised, but I am heart broken. I have said it before and I will say it again that lifetime should develop a sports network or at least devote more of their programming to skating, gymnastics and other popular sports. Hearst's lifetime does cable well, and they are making money which is more than most cable networks can say.

Johar

Medalist
Even if it had happened, it would've been years before our cable company would've carried it. It took awhile before the Sci-fi channel was available in our area. We still don't have TCM, Showtime, HBO, ESPN Classic, HAL, TVG and ENC.