Practices | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Practices

momjudi

On the Ice
Actually I heard that Johnny was landing 4-3-2 combos as well as single quads and he seems very relaxed and happy. He doesn't have the pressure of being defending American champion this year. Johnny and Ryan both arrived in Tokyo on Friday, Evan arrived Sunday night. Does anyone know why Evan arrived so late and missed the first official practice?

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Now, I wonder if this means her back condition is deteriorating, or that the pain is going away?

From what I gathered from the Korean search engine, she says that her body's condition is okay, so I'm assuming the back's not as bad as it's been.

Photos of her at Narita Airport:
http://news.naver.com/news/read.php...icle_id=0000348055&section_id=104&menu_id=104
http://news.naver.com/news/read.php...icle_id=0000348056&section_id=104&menu_id=104

Interesting to see that the Korean press is putting Asada, Kim and Meissner first (they call it a "Three Nations War" between Japan, Korea and the U.S.), and then briefly mentions Ando and Meier as possible spoilers. They are conceding the fact that if Mao's perfect, it's highly unlikely that anyone will beat her.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
From what I gathered from the Korean search engine, she says that her body's condition is okay, so I'm assuming the back's not as bad as it's been.

Photos of her at Narita Airport:
http://news.naver.com/news/read.php...icle_id=0000348055&section_id=104&menu_id=104
http://news.naver.com/news/read.php...icle_id=0000348056&section_id=104&menu_id=104

Interesting to see that the Korean press is putting Asada, Kim and Meissner first (they call it a "Three Nations War" between Japan, Korea and the U.S.), and then briefly mentions Ando and Meier as possible spoilers. They are conceding the fact that if Mao's perfect, it's highly unlikely that anyone will beat her.

Do u know if Korea's SBS will have live coverage?

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Do u know if Korea's SBS will have live coverage?

From what I can gather on the website, it doesn't look like it :frown2:
But I may be wrong...this is the first time I've been on the SBS website since...well, the last time I was in Korea, about 6 years ago :p

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
zhang & Zhang

Dan Zhang updated their blog in Japan with a photo.

http://zhdanzhhao.blog.sohu.com/

Summary: She mentioned the life is a bit boring there. They had one practice yesterday and did reasonably well. She hope they can maintain such good conditioning up to the real competition day. She's still sneezing sometimes !(flu still not completely over yet).

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
practic report

I found this practice report from a Japanese bbs:

Attended Official Practice on 18th March at the Main Rink. My personal observations are as follows:

Ice Dance:
Only saw the last practice group.
Delobel/Shoenfelder did not look sharp, particularly Isabelle. She fell during str steps and their unison was quite a bit off. Pech/Bour looked much sharper.

Mens:
Saw the entire practice. RUS, Lysachek were no shows.
Lambiel: Excellent Spins as usual but having some prob with difficult jumps.
Buttle: ditto
Sandhu: nailed all four 3Ax passes, looked very sharp
Joubert: Spectacular. twice nailed 4tlp/3tlp
Weir: Looked good with new FP to American Indian type music.
Takahashi: looking good. two 4tlp landed.
Oda: Looked good skated new Free program to Mission Impossible music. Nailed 3Ax/3tlp/3lp but started to fall on four successive "3Lz". On closer look, I thought these four jump passes were QUAD LUTZ! It looked fully rotated but he was having problem controlling the rotation after landing. Interesting strategy COP wise since 11.0-3.0-1.0=7.0 is still quite a lot of points.

Ladies:
RUS, CAN, USA, FIN,KOR were no shows.
Gedevanishvili: In crowded group but looked good. did several different 3/3, including 3tlp/3tlp, 3flip/3tlp, 2Ax/3tlp (nailed these) fell on 3Lz/3tlp. Her flexibility is amazing.
Kostner: Looked to be concentrating on testing the ice, testing edge control etc. Did some jump passes at the end but no 3/3.
Marchei: Looked v. good. Still having problems with jumps when SP music came on with fall on 3Lz, singling Ax. But nailed 3Lz several times at the end of session.
Meier: Only one in her practice group to show. Very good spins and secure jumps.
Mao Asada: Three 3Ax tryouts, nailed two, slight two foot on one. She seems ON.
Miki Ando: Looked less sharp than Mao. Evidently, this was her first practice on this ice. Tried 4Sal 4times, fell in three flip out on one. When her FP music came on she fell on the first 3Lz/3lp combination and had to go and consult with Morozov. Later in the session landed several beautiful 3Lz inc 3Lz/3lp. Did one pass of 3flip/3lp.
Yukari Nakano: Full run through including jumps of the FP. Fell on 3Ax but otherwise good. Tried 3Ax 3times more, landed 2.

JPN Ladies collectively are expected to try 2-3 3Ax and one quad in th LP!

Did not stay for Pairs.

Johnny has a new FP??? Oh my gosh. It just gets better and better.

I don't like the look of Yu Na's back in those pix.

I wish Miki would NOT try the quad - the odds seem to be against her.

Yukari on the other hand sounds like she's reclaimed her 3A.

Hurray for Elene!

Go, Mao, Miki, and Yu Na! Go Elene, Yukari, and Joannie, wherever you are! Go, Johnny and Brian and Daisuke!

Oh, what the heck! Go Eman, Stephane, Jeff, and D&S (France)! Go Prancer and Vixen!

Ho, ho, ho!

Last edited:

iloveaxel

Match Penalty

I don't like the look of Yu Na's back in those pix.

I!

Yu Na re-injuried her back. It looks like she's in pain. I really think she should withdraw if it hurts her so much. Too bad.

z4mboni

Rinkside
Ho, ho, ho!

Nobody on FSU reported that he is having a new LP (except for the person who iloveaxel quoted), so I wonder if he really does have one. Maybe "Child of..." just sounded American Indian to the poster and he/she did not remember his LP well.

Ah, you're probably right. I think he would have mentioned it on his website and people would have been talking about it.

gsrossano

Final Flight
Looked to me like a "revamped" version of the Nationals program. That is, a new edit of the music with some new choreography. My comments on the practice are on my site. I liked this cut better than the previous one, and there is a lot he could do with it. (But I don't think he will -- but we will see.)

blackrose050

Rinkside
Gsrossano, what is the url for your site? I'd like to read your comments.

ETA: Never mind. Figured it out. :)

Last edited:

satorare

Match Penalty
practice summary

Kim
landed 3-3 and 3loop!?

Mao
SP runthru, landed 3A twice

Ando
failed 4S six times, one possibly ratifiable attempt

Lambiel
landed 4-3 & 4-2, still troubling with axels

Joubert
landed lutz

Lysacek
runthru of FP, 4T fall, 3A fall, rest is OK

Weir
practicing 4T, getting better

Verner
landed 4-3

Takahashi
tried 4F several times, mostly ur or 2f but no fall
4T is OK

Oda
still struggling with quads

Davydov
landed 4-3!

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Hmm...the Korean media has said that Yu-Na didn't reinjure her back, rather she fell pretty hard on her tailbone in practice back in Canada and that's been bothering her quite a bit. However, she's still been landing triple-triples and doing Bielmanns in practice.

The article also says that Mao's attempted 46 jumping passes in practice and nailed all of them :eek:

http://news.mk.co.kr/newsRead.php?year=2007&no=138783
http://news.naver.com/news/read.php...icle_id=0001578453&section_id=107&menu_id=107

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Has anyone seen Kimmie practice? I had read that the other 2 American ladies were caught up in bad weather.