2014 Skate America Men's FS 10/25 | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America Men's FS 10/25

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Nam probably just needs more bulk, which he'll get over time. The height spurt was clear, which is why he had so many problem on the jumps during his junior years.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So another point in the Nam Nguyen height debate: Looking at the podium video -- he's taller than Jason! I believe Jason is 5'7", so Nam is at least 5'8".

Podium photo showing a towering Nam :yes::

Nam grew one foot in one year. His height needs daily updates to be accurate.

Six inches in one year, according to what I have read.

One foot since he was twelve years old.

But yes, a growing guy.

ks777

Record Breaker
Congrats to Machida for brilliant skates! :laugh:/:unsure: @ Skater Boy calling him 2nd tier after pulling almost 270 points and two clean skates.
Yeah I didn't get that 2nd tier comment either. Machida is a world silver medalist if I remember correct..

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Nam was clean but I'm so disappointed for Adian. He could have beat Nam in the battle of the boys IMO given their current abilities. Oh well. Nam won fair and square and deserved that medal. Hope he picks up the speed so I can jump on board as a fan.

Nam's a good competitor but I don't care for his packaging...he needs to find his own style, and then maybe I'll like him better. Adian seems like a perfectionist who is probably beating himself up right now. I'm sure he will improve. He did about as well as I expected. Time is on his side. :)

Artur on the other hand...not sure what to say at this point :eek:hwell:

FTnoona

Final Flight
Congrats to Machida for brilliant skates! :laugh:/:unsure: @ Skater Boy calling him 2nd tier after pulling almost 270 points and two clean skates.

Agreed, Machida even left about 9 pts of base value on the table by not doing the second 3A and a 3 jump combo. If a 175ish FS is second tier with points left on the table, I think a lot of guys would be killing to be second tier.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Podium photo showing a towering Nam :yes::

Six inches in one year, according to what I have read.

One foot since he was a novice.

But yes, a growing guy.

Great photo: Nguyen happy as can be, Jason being Jason and Machida being hipster. If Machida is second tier, we should all be second tier. I even love his bows.

Does Machida's hair have a twitter account?:laugh:

ks777

Record Breaker
I am so happy for Nguyen. He seems to be having a great time competing. Can't wait for Nathen Chen, Shoma Uno and Nam Nguyen to compete together again.

unico

Final Flight
Machida isn't second-tier at all, not after finishing 2nd at worlds with essentially the same PCS as the two other judges favourites (Fernandez and Hanyu). He's definitely one of the front-runners.

Each of Fernandez/Hanyu/Machida is quite complete in their own way but unique in their individual strengths. Machida really does have the dancer-like grace/posture that the other two lack, but conversely I do think there's other things that they have over him too. I'll be interested in seeing all 3 of them (hopefully! I'm looking at you Fernandez!) go against each other at the GPF. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Did Jason win silver based on PCS?

He did have the second highest PCS, but also had the third highest TES in the FS.

You could make an argument for 2nd and 3rd to be switched, but you could also argue that while Jason made mistakes, they didn't really disrupt the performance.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
What an exciting thing that Brian will (probably) have all three of his boys winning GP medals this season :yay:

peg

Medalist
You could make an argument for 2nd and 3rd to be switched, but you could also argue that while Jason made mistakes, they didn't really disrupt the performance.

ITA

I think the FS placement, with Nam ahead of Jason was correct, but the overall placement could have gone either way. In any case, I'm glad they're both on the podium :)