2014 Skate America Men's FS 10/25 | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America Men's FS 10/25

babyskate

On the Ice
He (rightfully) beat Nam on PCS in the FS, but Nam's FS total was higher.
Jason won silver partly because he was six points ahead in the SP.

I just re-watched Jason's program. I was too nervous to really watch it while it was happening. It was still a beautiful performance that he never gave up on. He deserved the high PCS for his amazing spins, footwork, choreography and musicality. Skate America was not his best performance last year and we all know what happened after that.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Podium photo showing a towering Nam :yes::

Quite a contrast to 2011as Canada's Junior Champion . His skating career is recorded with photos of him standing on the top of the podium, with the silver and bronze medalists towering over him from their lower steps. He was small because he was always years younger than the competitors.

It is amazing what he was able to put out right after such a tremendous growth spurt. Nam has everything in his skating including mental strength. He only lacks power and speed which will come almost automatically with growth and new muscles.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Tatsuki MACHIDA (JPN) - 269.09 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Jason BROWN (USA) - 234.17 Free Skate, 2nd Copy , 3rd Copy
3. Nam NGUYEN (CAN) - 232.24 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 224.74 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 219.33 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Adian PITKEEV (RUS) - 212.07 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Chafik BESSEGHIER (FRA) - 208.70 Free Skate
8. Douglas RAZZANO (USA) - 204.48 Free Skate
9. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) - 200.13 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
10. Michael Christian MARTINEZ (PHI) - 197.58 Free Skate
11. Alexei BYCHENKO (ISR) - 185.98 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
12. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 177.43 Free Skate 2nd Copy

Medal Ceremony

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't know what to think about Tatsuki's LP. I mean..now and then I image what it's like to skate to Beethoven's syms, not I am convinced Beethoven is not for skating. It's just the music doesn't go well with the choreography no matter who thr skater is.
Congrats on Tatsuki's win. But I couldn't believe I am saying I enjoy his SP more. I did expect to enjoy his Lp because I thought the music can make it a great program. After watching his LP I have to say I don't think it's great choreography. There are many moments in the LP I see no relation between the music and the choreography at all.

lavender

Record Breaker
I just re-watched Jason's program. I was too nervous to really watch it while it was happening. It was still a beautiful performance that he never gave up on. He deserved the high PCS for his amazing spins, footwork, choreography and musicality. Skate America was not his best performance last year and we all know what happened after that.

I agree. I just watch it expecting ho hum but I thought it was really good with some mistakes. Definitely deserved his pcs.

Love Jeremy's music. Makes me think of Matt Savoie's masterpiece short. However unless Jeremy is 'on' this long program will feel like it's going on and on .

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you @Mao88 for all the video links! Thank you to everyone who provided pbp!

Congrats to all the medallists, especially Jason! Nam looks like such a baby up there! Cute as a button! :biggrin:

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Tatsuki MACHIDA (JPN) - 269.09 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
2. Jason BROWN (USA) - 234.17 Free Skate, 2nd Copy , 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
3. Nam NGUYEN (CAN) - 232.24 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
4. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 224.74 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
5. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 219.33 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
6. Adian PITKEEV (RUS) - 212.07 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
7. Chafik BESSEGHIER (FRA) - 208.70 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
8. Douglas RAZZANO (USA) - 204.48 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) - 200.13 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
10. Michael Christian MARTINEZ (PHI) - 197.58 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
11. Alexei BYCHENKO (ISR) - 185.98 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
12. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 177.43 Free Skate 2nd Copy

Medal Ceremony

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
What an exciting thing that Brian will (probably) have all three of his boys winning GP medals this season :yay:

Bet Brian didn't expect Nam will get his first GP medal this early. In this, Nam has outdone his older Cricket brothers. Good job!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
watching live, Machita's SP is also more impressive. his LP music and choreo has less connection somehow. even during his practice, I thought his LP music is just background music for a second.

Meoima

Match Penalty
watching live, Machita's SP is also more impressive. his LP music and choreo has less connection somehow. even during his practice, I thought his LP music is just background music for a second.
That's what I feel as well. I expected his LP to be dramatic but not that kind of dramatic. Beethoven is not a good choice to skate to. Sigh... Anyways he won beautifully. Just couldn't connect to his LP this time.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I just rewatched Jeremy and Jason. I'm a huge fan of both of them and was frustrated and saddened by what happened tonight. I watched them both the first time through parted fingers so needed to watch again to really assess.

On second viewing, I agree with everyone who said that despite the fall and bobble, Jason gave a really strong performance and the program is excellent. His first triple axel was GORGEOUS. I wonder if placing the 2nd one late in the program, much later than he's ever had it placed before, threw him a bit? To me, his triple axel issue seems entirely mental at this point- he slows down, begins to get a tense look on his face, and doesn't fling himself into it with enough abandon. He should take heart in that first beautifully executed one and have more confidence going forward. Also, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like this new program (I am the world's biggest fan of his Riverdance program) and what a charismatic, strong performance he gave tonight. He looks stronger and older, more mature this year. I like it that he is stretching himself by doing a romantic, lyrical, character-driven long program. And as Michael Weiss said, he was KILLING it until the 2nd triple Axel. I think that skated clean or near clean this program can bring a rousing standing ovation and will send chills down our spines.

Speaking of chills down the spine, Bezic's program for Jeremy is a choreographic masterpiece. It's just staggeringly great in my opinion. Which makes it all the more frustrating and sad that he really lost it mentally tonight. I agree with those who say the hard fall in the warmup shook him up. I think that by taking the quad out of his short he was able to relax and perform. With the should I or shouldn't I quad pressure in the long, he got rattled and the hard fall probably reminded him of other bad quad falls. The popping was unacceptable and sad. That being said, does anyone else agree that he gave a strong, moving performance even with the pops? In the past when he's started faltering technically the wind goes out of his sails and the performance can suffer. This time I thought he gave a beautiful performance nonetheless. and that program!!! If he skates it clean or near clean, it may go down as one of the great masterpieces of skating. So happy we have Sandra Bezic choreographing again. She really brings out the essence of what makes Jeremy's skating so great.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Bet Brian didn't expect Nam will get his first GP medal this early. In this, Nam has outdone his older Cricket brothers. Good job!

I don't know about Brian but I know Nam believes in himself and everything he sets out to accomplish.

And what an accomplishment! At 16, debuting his Senior GP, he beat the Worlds Bronze Medalist and 4 time US Champion to win the Bronze. He also beat the most heralded 19 year old American Olympian in the LP. Just wait till he puts the quad in the SP, or grows some muscles. It won't be long.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Jeremy is very very impressive watching live.
Denis's best performance is his first day practice without jumps. choreo, music editing stunned me.
both of them had a bad day, but still love their programs.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Nam absolutely deserve that medal, did his best in competition. indeed looked smaller even though he is taller than other.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Okay, after watching...

Best choreography for both programs: Jason Brown!!! :yay:
Best consistency: Nam Nguyen :love:
Best execution: Tatsuki Machida.
Best music in the SP: Tatsuki Machida
Best music in the Lp: Jason Brown

Best disappointment: Denis and Jeremy can share this prize. :scowl:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Okay, after watching...

Best choreography for both programs: Jason Brown!!! :yay:
Best consistency: Nam Nguyen :love:
Best execution: Tatsuki Machida.
Best music in the SP: Tatsuki Machida
Best music in the Lp: Jason Brown

Best disappointment: Denis and Jeremy can share this prize. :scowl:

:thumbsup:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jeremy is very very impressive watching live.
Denis's best performance is his first day practice without jumps. choreo, music editing stunned me.
both of them had a bad day, but still love their programs.

They are both elegant artistic masters of the blades, all round skaters except for inconsistencies. Denis tends to rise at the biggest occasions while Jeremy does the opposite. Sigh. I hope Jeremy will bring it at Worlds this season.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Abbott always brings too much drama along with him.
aahhh yeah ..... and I don't think it goes over too well with the judges. I liked his SP, not the music but the program and his costume. Tonight, no. I didn't like too much about it. I do think Yuka and Jason are more like pals than coaches and they coddle him too much.
Hopefully he will bounce back at his next gp event.

Jason was very good, his musicality and dance ability are really exciting and fun to watch. He has flair and charisma. Excited for his silver medal and excited to see his season progress.

Congratulations to all the winners!