2015 Four Continents Men's Free Skate Feb 13 Seoul Time | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Men's Free Skate Feb 13 Seoul Time

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Finally caught up... Hallelujah, this competition might've single-handedly restored my faith in men's figure skating. :shocked: And to any of the inflation calls: the scores here were practically stingy compared to Europeans! No -2s for falls (Javi), little positive/-1 GOE for massive step-outs/hand-downs (Kovtun). I agree the triple-axel judging is ludicrous, but that's a case of one person (Shoma) receiving crazy scores. Probably bad news for his competitors at Jr. Worlds, but not general inflation.

Ten: I'm no fan of his, but this might have overtaken Machida-at-SA as my favourite LP of the season. A wonderful, musical program that suited him. Only slight problem is the character seemed to break down a little as he goes into the jumps; he really comes alive at the end. Not sure if this makes him co-favourite going into Worlds, or if I'm instead more skeptical about his chances: what if he left his brilliant late-season peak on the Four Continents ice?

Farris: Simply gorgeous. :drama: I don't know if my brain quite processed his skate. Felt like I was in a trance. Clean up a few jump landings and he could be fighting for the podium at Worlds.

Han Yan: So proud of his comeback! He has some of the best edges with Patrick not here, and his jumps are a dream. Like Josh, he just needs to clean up a few landings to be one of the top skaters. The LP is a surprisingly strong program when well skated, even if he's repeating the same style.

Murakami: When he finished, I thought he'd secured himself a medal for sure--skating last, landing two quads and two triple axels. Then I remembered the 4-2 from the SP, and the lack of combo. :bang: Beyond frustrating.

Uno: ...Did he injure himself again? :hopelessness: I hope his team is careful about pushing all these quads. He held it together well considering he had to skate after Denis.

Brown: A solid skate, but the magic wasn't quite there... I don't know why. Maybe his jumps seemed a bit low/eeked out to me, which affected the grandeur of the program.

Mura: Oh goodness... I should stop betting on him. The whole thing became frayed after he popped the axel. Still, it's pretty scary that he could've been silver at Europeans, and only managed seventh place here. However, I will say: I do enjoy watching his commitment and passion for this not-so-great POTO program. I hope he kills it at Worlds like Machida did last year.

Sadly it wasn't meant to be for Misha and Adam... State of Canadian men is worrying; Nam will need his consistency back by Worlds, or the nightmare I never believed in--going down to one man--could actually come true.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
PCS are marked all wrong. It's all reputation and it's all judges within a "corridor" of scores. Judges are basically using it as the old second mark, and not ACTUALLY using it as it is supposed to be used: 5 seperate areas of program components. They're basically cheating, with some judges lowballing some skaters and some judges boosting some skaters. They do it with GoE too. If you're a skater they like, the GoE is good, and the negatives are less harsh, if not, the opposite is true.

Yet again, skating fans were sold a bill of goods. CoP was suppose to get rid of this type of judging. It has not. I'm nearly fed up with the sport because of the cheating in judging, and the blatant disregard for what PCS/GoE is supposed to be.

From your keyboard to God's ears. I have had serious issues with the sport for this very reason. Then again, I hated seeing Chan win Worlds with all his falls even though his PCS is unparalleled.... Fortunately Hanyu came along with jumps (Sochi notwithstanding) and PCS. It's possible to both. Extremely tough, but possible.

I figured US Men's future was going to be Joshua/Jason this quad. I'm glad Rippon had his moment this Nationals so it will encourage him to go on. Plus there are others that I am very impressed with (Hochstein, Dornbush for example). That being said, I am not at all confident we will hold on to three spots for next year. Joshua, Jason, and Adam are wonderful skaters, but I see them as second tier/B+ skaters. Hopefully the stars will align.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From your keyboard to God's ears. I have had serious issues with the sport for this very reason. Then again, I hated seeing Chan win Worlds with all his falls even though his PCS is unparalleled.... Fortunately Hanyu came along with jumps (Sochi notwithstanding) and PCS. It's possible to both. Extremely tough, but possible.

I figured US Men's future was going to be Joshua/Jason this quad. I'm glad Rippon had his moment this Nationals so it will encourage him to go on. Plus there are others that I am very impressed with (Hochstein, Dornbush for example). That being said, I am not at all confident we will hold on to three spots for next year. Joshua, Jason, and Adam are wonderful skaters, but I see them as second tier/B+ skaters. Hopefully the stars will align.

How is Josh a B+ skater? With his score here he would have been pushing Javier for the top spot at Europeans.

Rissa

Record Breaker
But he is not yet. And how can you compare to Button, Cranston, Cousins, and all the great pioneers? Even when referring to Plushy I only call him the greatest of the modern era, not the greatest of all time. It is a presumptuous title to give anybody!

Oh karne...

(not gonna lie, reading the threads is almost as much fun as watching thecompetitions.)

smoothiw

Rinkside
I like Micha's skating. But... not only the 1-4. medalists are on ice at gala?

There are always some guests in every gala exhibitions.
I think Misha is a special guest, cause Korean figure skating fans like him.
As far as I know, his crazy Gangnam style dancing :cool::party2: was much loved by them.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
How is Josh a B+ skater? With his score here he would have been pushing Javier for the top spot at Europeans.
As a Josh fan, I don't see "B+ skater" as an insult. B+ skater doesn't mean he can't beat A-tier skaters when they have an off day (and Javi was very, very off at Europeans).

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Josh made definitely big step forward from nationals, and now 4CC. He finally started to hold landing on quad, turn outs still... so now time to land it nicely :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Micha is of Korean decent (among others including Russian and Chinese), and I seem to recall he is a fan of K-Pop. I read on here i believe that he auditions for a Korean version of American Idol/X-Factor type show.

I like Micha's skating. But... not only the 1-4. medalists are on ice at gala?

There are always some guests in every gala exhibitions.
I think Misha is a special guest, cause Korean figure skating fans like him.
As far as I know, his crazy Gangnam style dancing :cool::party2: was much loved by them.

And for the gala, Ge is skating to G-Dragon GoodBoy (which is K-pop, I think?) + Lil Jon Remix.
And he said he would pull an all-nigher to work on gala choreo.

The gala is not limited to those who placed fourth and above.
Lower-placing Korean skaters are performing in the gala. Also, lower-placing Chinese ice dancers.

GF2445

Record Breaker
If he can do a quad in the short and his quad in the long as well as maximise the points on his other jumps and elements, he can contest for the podium becajse sometimes the bigs guns who do two or three quads in the free tend to fizzle and falter at some point

GF2445

Record Breaker
And for the gala, Ge is skating to G-Dragon GoodBoy (which is K-pop, I think?) + Lil Jon Remix.

Lower-placing Korean skaters are performing in the gala. Also, lower-placing Chinese ice dancers.

Misha Ge is a true entertainer. He definitely has a great future ahead of him competitvely.
He should be in the gala because he always brings it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Right, the list is strictly who is likely going to be in the final two groups of the SP. Not meant to be a prediction. :)

Oops I meant those other men could be in the final group and Lieers, Farris, Yan Brezina, Rippon or the third Japanese guy could not make the final 2 groups but regardless it will be so exciting:)

kresslia

Medalist
I won't even discuss how the Canadians fared here because it's just too depressing. All I'll say is Patrick can come back aaaanytime now.

Haven't watched the videos yet but I'm so happy Denis put together two clean programs. He will no doubt be a huge challenge for Yuzuru at Worlds.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice

Thanks for answer! The colour locals, I understand.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

Yes Good Boy is K-pop! :) It's by G-Dragon + Taeyang (both are from a group called Big Bang, do solo activities every once in a while, & have recently released music as a temporary duo). I have no idea why on earth you'd remix it with Lil Jon though :unsure:

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I believe Mrs. P's list is the top 12 in the World Ranking of those who are expected to compete.

If so, and if these are the guys who show up, then the final two groups in the SP should come from this list. Not saying that Nam, Amodio, Ge, and others don't have a chance to finish 12th or better. Simply that these will be in the final two groups of SP.

The LP final groups will be determined by SP results.

ETA: I see now that Mrs P clarified her list in a separate post in response to you. Sorry for the double whammy.

oh now I understand I was talking after the short program. In a way I prefer it when it was a random draw so it was more fair for a newbie who could get to skate near the end. as we know the last few skaters tend to get more generous marks.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Wow, Denis! That was technically absolutely superb! Artistically I liked the SP better (and his landings were sooooo elegant there, that 4T was one of the most effortless quads I've seen since Plushenko!), but technically that LP was top-class. If only he had a clean exit out of the second 3A... but still, super awesome, and his ending was :love:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am not just comparing him with Josh. I am with other top men his age. His triple axel is not consistent. Take a look at this years track record. And you have top men who have consistent quads and triple axels. In juniors many of the men don't have the quad. In general Jason does not seem to be the most powerful jumper... I wonder if it will ever be a strong jump who knows though Chan got one.... But I think the jumps are weaker than a lot of the men so I stand by not complete at this time.

As for Josh. I never said he is for sure a star. But he is more likely to be competive.

I disagree that there's a glut of men have consistent quads and 3As. Jason was thisclose to making the GPF IN SPITE of his 3A problems early this season. If all the men were consistently hitting their quads and 3As all the time, Jason wouldn't stand a chance. He wouldn't have made it to the final group of the Olympics after the SP without one or still manage to finish in the top 10 in the world in his first major championship competition as a senior man.

He's not the most natural jumper, sure, but what's he supposed to do? Just roll over and give up? He's never done that. If anything, he's made him work 100X harder to perfect everything else the best he can. Having crazy mad transitions in and out of every jump, back loading programs, maximizing his non-jump elements. And guess what, judges have responded well to it. That's what being a competitor is about. Maximizing strengths to make up for shortcomings.

And yes, while juniors don't have the quad, many of them had the 3A, which he didn't until the very end. But he still made the JGPF twice and even won one of them.

And yes, he doesn't have the technical content to be compete this season for a world medal. But certainly he is scoring well enough to improve on his 9th place finish from last season help the U.S. keep 3 spots. That's not something to be ashamed of.

Last edited: