2016-17 Splits & Partner Changes | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2016-17 Splits & Partner Changes

moon

On the Ice
There is also a rumor floating around that Paradis and Ouellette are no longer skating.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Ashley Cain should stick to pairs. They look pretty "tight" for barely skating together. I'm not sure how someone can do singles and pairs on an elite level. Others have tried it and been very unsuccessful. With the depth of the US women, that might be Ashley's chance for medalling.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I hope that's not true. I hope they don't let their showing at Worlds get them down, since it wasn't bad for their first time there.

I recall reading that they were first Canadian ice dance team ever sent to Worlds that didn't make it to the free dance. If that's true, that's gotta be tough for them to swallow. And with Tessa and Scott back, they're probably thinking about what their chances are to be a top 3 team. It's tough for all the teams who may be 4th or below.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I recall reading that they were first Canadian ice dance team ever sent to Worlds that didn't make it to the free dance. If that's true, that's gotta be tough for them to swallow.

It's a sign that the field is deeper than ever before, not that they were less competitive than previous teams. As it is, P&O made it onto the GP this coming season on their own power above Paul & Islam, defeated P&I at Nationals, and competed at 4CCs & Worlds. All a step up from last season. Yes, it's tough looking at 2018. But there will be room in 2022, and as of the moment, there is no sign that the current juniors are any more serious a threat than the senior teams currently hovering below the top three.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
It's a sign that the field is deeper than ever before, not that they were less competitive than previous teams. As it is, P&O made it onto the GP this coming season on their own power above Paul & Islam, defeated P&I at Nationals, and competed at 4CCs & Worlds. All a step up from last season. Yes, it's tough looking at 2018. But there will be room in 2022, and as of the moment, there is no sign that the current juniors are any more serious a threat than the senior teams currently hovering below the top three.

P/I had a problematic lift, and narrowly lost to P/O - the difference was 0.22 points. P/O also did not have one of the TES minimums before Worlds, while P/I did. If they hadn't gotten it at Four Continents, they wouldn't have gone to Worlds. It's great that P/O improved to this extent, but it's also good to keep the whole picture in mind. Of course there's room for everyone post 2018. And there's always the unknowns, especially those just out of the junior ranks. We haven't seen yet what Mackenzie and Dmitre or Maddie and Zhao Kai will do in the senior ranks. Apart from the top three, there is lots of room for movement. Right now it looks like teams are deciding whether to stick it out that long or not.

Last edited:

xox

On the Ice
This will be Edward and Pang 3rd year skating senior domestically. They missed last year due to injury. Mackenzie and Dmitre ended up lower at worlds with a lower score than Mckenzie's time with Garrett. Some of the newly formed senior teams will be interesting to watch.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
This will be Edward and Pang 3rd year skating senior domestically. They missed last year due to injury. Mackenzie and Dmitre ended up lower at worlds with a lower score than Mckenzie's time with Garrett. Some of the newly formed senior teams will be interesting to watch.

Yup, but Edwards and Peng didn't compete internationally in any senior events. As for Mackenzie and Dmitre - it was their first season. They still managed to win a silver on the JGP. If it doesn't work out, I'm sure she'll find another partner. You're right about the new teams though. Maybe an ice dance equivalent of Seguin/Bilodeau will emerge.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think Ashley Cain should stick to pairs. They look pretty "tight" for barely skating together. I'm not sure how someone can do singles and pairs on an elite level. Others have tried it and been very unsuccessful. With the depth of the US women, that might be Ashley's chance for medalling.

Meagan Duhamel was competing both as a single skater and in pairs for few seasons. She made it into top 10 at 4CC.

hanca

Record Breaker
Meagan Duhamel was competing both as a single skater and in pairs for few seasons. She made it into top 10 at 4CC.

That's not a very good achievement, top ten at 4CC, considering that apart of US and Japanese ladies (and maybe sometimes one Canadian but not always), there is no one else strong. It's like saying that someone is great because they were in top ten among Asian pairs - the only strong Asian pairs are Chinese and there would be only three Chinese pairs, that means place 4-10 would be pretty bad).

Nirti

Medalist
Adel Tankova is now on IcePartnerSearch. Maybe Arina Cherniavskaia, who was recently released by Russian Fed, is the new partner of Evgeni Krasnopolski, for another two-years partnership? :cool:

slider11

Medalist
That would be unfortunate. I thought they showed alot of promised especially with the Bridge Over Troubled Water FD. I wonder if Tessa and Scott's return too daunting for some. The Canadian and US fields are flooded with very talented ice dancers right now.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adel Tankova is now on IcePartnerSearch. Maybe Arina Cherniavskaia, who was recently released by Russian Fed, is the new partner of Evgeni Krasnopolski, for another two-years partnership? :cool:

He did quite well with Tankova. Why not continue with her? Maybe she's the one who quit. Could be he is not the easiest partner to get along with, as there have been quite a succession of ladies over the years.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Iunderstand how P and O might feel. One hopes they cando what is best for them I guess just as other skaters look for a country where they can qualify to represent them at worlds or the olympics. i know people are mixed about this some sayingn we just want the best etc. I am not a big fan of shopping for a world or olly spot myself but such is life.

Nirti

Medalist
He did quite well with Tankova. Why not continue with her? Maybe she's the one who quit. Could be he is not the easiest partner to get along with, as there have been quite a succession of ladies over the years.

Danielle Montalbano between 2010-2013, Andrea Davidovich 2013-2014, Adel Tankova 2014-2016... not the best way if he wants to qualify for Olympics to change partner now... I'm curious to see if Tankova will have a new partner and if Israel will have 2 (or more) competitive pairs next season!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
That's not a very good achievement, top ten at 4CC, considering that apart of US and Japanese ladies (and maybe sometimes one Canadian but not always), there is no one else strong. It's like saying that someone is great because they were in top ten among Asian pairs - the only strong Asian pairs are Chinese and there would be only three Chinese pairs, that means place 4-10 would be pretty bad).

I know right - it was not a big achievement, but she was the only one having any kind of success and being able to compete internationally.