2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In her Ice Partner Search profile, she says that she's willing to change countries, so it looks like she's switched to Canada.
The Quebec funding chart says they are training with Josée Picard, which would make it harder for them to skate for the USA I would think. Also, would Patinage Québec give them funding if they were skating for the USA... nah... So that's pretty official to me.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It appears that Shoma just announced his retirement. :cry:

Holy.....shamoly......wow. Wow wow wow.

I remember almost a decade ago when I was studying for finals and watching the JGPF/GPF for the 2014-2015 season on livestream. And Shoma skated incredibly well to his FP and had a high TES. I remember getting off my bed, standing, and clapping my hands at the screen. He was never among my favorite skaters, but I always had respect for his talent. I saw him skate twice in person: 2015 Skate America and 2016 Worlds (FP only). Very talented skater and the first to ever land a 4F. 3-time Olympic medalist and 2-time World Champion. What an amazing career. I hope Shoma does very well in whatever lies ahead.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Could someone please translate his post?
Here is the Deep L Translation. Maybe a native speaker can verify this?

Hello everyone!
My name is Masama Uno.

I have made the decision to retire from active competition.

I would like to thank all of you who have supported me as a competitor
Thank you very much for your support.

I am very grateful to have been able to continue skating for 21 years since I was 5 years old, and to have had a wonderful athletic life.

On May 14, I will hold a press conference to announce my retirement.
I will talk about my thoughts and future activities on that occasion.
The press conference will be streamed LIVE on Toyotimes, and I hope you will watch it.

Thank you for your continued support.

Shoma Uno
20m
20 minutes ago

Weathergal

Medalist
Here is the Deep L Translation. Maybe a native speaker can verify this?

Hello everyone!
My name is Masama Uno.

I have made the decision to retire from active competition.

I would like to thank all of you who have supported me as a competitor
Thank you very much for your support.

I am very grateful to have been able to continue skating for 21 years since I was 5 years old, and to have had a wonderful athletic life.

On May 14, I will hold a press conference to announce my retirement.
I will talk about my thoughts and future activities on that occasion.
The press conference will be streamed LIVE on Toyotimes, and I hope you will watch it.

Thank you for your continued support.

Shoma Uno
20m
20 minutes ago
Thank you! :thank:

Best wishes to Shoma!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thank you! :thank:

Best wishes to Shoma!
FYI, if you don't have an IG account, google translate app. Is amazing. Just load it on any old phone with wifi, choose Japanese to English, hit the camera symbol, and point the camera at Japanese text and it will show up as English. The app works pretty well In voice mode, too. Both in generating audio and text in both directions.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Xuantong Li / Xinkang Wang and Shang Shi / Nan Wu (both CHN, Ice Dance) have split.

Xuantong Li has paired up with Grigorii Rodin (formerly RUS) and they seem to be training at Young Goose Academy in Egna:

Shang Shi and Xinkang Wang have also paired up and are training in Beijing.
https://weibo.com/7285372573/OdmLgphHX

Around the world in 80 days...what country will Li/Rodin represent?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Around the world in 80 days...what country will Li/Rodin represent?
From my understanding, they'll be presenting China. This partnership seems to be part of a rumoured bigger plan of the Chinese fed to recruit foreign athletes, especially Russians.

With the political closeness of the two countries and Grigorii both not being one of the top Ice Dancers and not having competed for at least a year within Russia at this point, I think they'll probably have an easier time getting him to be released than some other skaters waiting for a release 🫣

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
God speed to Rodin and Ovsyankina. Hopefully, they will be in JGP. Fingers crossed we hear definitive confirmation on Samodelkina.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
God speed to Rodin and Ovsyankina. Hopefully, they will be in JGP. Fingers crossed we hear definitive confirmation on Samodelkina.
Ovsyankina almost certainly (she and her partner were third at French Jr Nationals this season), the other two have to be released first.

theblade

On the Ice
If counting accurately, Tong would be Boutsan's sixth partnering scenario, after extended tryouts and/or competing with: Carhart (youngest), Gibson, Pederson, Herai Garrison, Gans.

Adding on: it appears that Tong's former partner Liu has partnered with Boutsan's former partner Gans.

Last edited: