2016-17 State of Canadian Ladies Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Canadian Ladies Skating

desertskates

Medalist
I think what we've seen with all three ladies so far this year promises to make their National Championships just as much of a nail biter as it is for the ladies in Russia, Japan and the US!

Sunny Little

On the Ice
Does anyone have any information about Megan Yim? It seems that she's not competing in the JGP this season. I really like her balletic style and her jumps.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is it weird that i'm looking forward to Canadian Nationals more than US or Russia? :slink:

I'm super excited for nationals!

I'm tempted to get tickets and make the drive up to Ottawa, seeing as I'm likely not going to Skate Canada International as I originally planned. :(

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I'm super excited for nationals!

I'm tempted to get tickets and make the drive up to Ottawa, seeing as I'm likely not going to Skate Canada International as I originally planned. :(

Whaaaaattt? Thought you had been planning to go to Mississauga for months....

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Whaaaaattt? Thought you had been planning to go to Mississauga for months....

I know. :( The cliff notes version as to why: for a couple of months I've been having health issues resulting from a workplace injury. Since I'm still fighting with workers' comp for loss of earning benefits, I had to go on employment insurance, and when your income gets cut by 55%, non necessities in life, like skating competition tickets, have to be put on the back burner. :(

My husband said he'll buy me tickets anyway, but it seems like all the events are sold out now. I can't win.

Booooo. :(

Daniel1998

Final Flight
I know. :( The cliff notes version as to why: for a couple of months I've been having health issues resulting from a workplace injury. Since I'm still fighting with workers' comp for loss of earning benefits, I had to go on employment insurance, and when your income gets cut by 55%, non necessities in life, like skating competition tickets, have to be put on the back burner. :(

My husband said he'll buy me tickets anyway, but it seems like all the events are sold out now. I can't win.

Booooo. :(

They're already sold out?!!?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Does anyone have any information about Megan Yim? It seems that she's not competing in the JGP this season. I really like her balletic style and her jumps.

I read elsewhere that she's been dealing with a minor injury. I would have liked to see her skate in the JGP. Hopefully she's back by Challenge.

Osmond4gold you must be super happy. Your home girl really delivered. :biggrin: Kaetlyn is on the path to winning at least one gold medal a year now. If we count Nationals, she's won at least 1 gold in the last 4 of 5 years. Very happy for her.

This means now that all three top Canadian ladies have medalled - bronze for Gabby at Nebelhorn, silver for Alaine at Autumn Classic, and gold for Kaetlyn at Finlandia. How do the results break down?

SkaterSP ScoreFS ScoreTotal ScoreEvent
Kaetlyn Osmond64.73 (TES 35.35 + PCS 29.38)122.54 (TES 60.59 + PCS 61.95)187.272016 Finlandia Trophy
Alaine Chartrand56.61 (TES 29.41 + PCS 28.20 -1.00)129.50 (TES 67.50 + PCS 62.00)186.112016 Autumn Classic International
Gabrielle Daleman60.15 (TES 32.21 + PCS 28.94 -1.00)115.25 (TES 55.19 + PCS 61.06 -1.00)175.402016 Nebelhorn Trophy

Kaetlyn had the most success with her SP. Alaine had the most success with her FS. All the ladies are close in PCS in both programs. Alaine and Kaetlyn are close in overall results. Gabby has some catching up to do. I suspect that may be due to the undisclosed 'difficulty'/injury she had in the off season. A good start for the Canadian ladies. Hopefully they can improve and have even more success on the Grand Prix series.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Mango, I think it's worth noting also that Alaine skated in Canada, and while I'm not sure how that could have affected her PCS mark, there might have been some influence. She also skated clean, which helped the component scores as well. The other two haven't yet come close to their technical (and therefore their component) ceiling.
I wouldn't place so much emphasis on one event, especially Gabby's results because we all know she's capable of much better than her outing at Nebelhorn. If anything, I actually think Alaine's the one who should be most worried.
It should be a very exciting GP for the Canadians- I hope they bring their A game.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Daniel1998 you make a good point. I'm not convinced, however, that the scores Alaine got were due to some home cooking. I pointed out elsewhere that she earned nearly the exact same FS score at Minto Summer Skate. And while at Nationals we see inflation, these summer events in Ontario have been giving out pretty accurate scores, even amongst the juniors. I think she can do it again, at a GP event. And her SP BV is higher than Kaetlyn's as well if Kaetlyn is doing a 3-2 combo.

It all comes down to execution, at the end of the day. All the girls have a chance at great results if they go clean. I believe in Gabby too. I just want to see more clean skates. We will never know what they are really capable of scoring if they don't perform well. That has been the biggest problem with Canadian ladies for the past at least 15 years, hasn't it?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Osmond4gold you must be super happy. Your home girl really delivered. :biggrin: Kaetlyn is on the path to winning at least one gold medal a year now. If we count Nationals, she's won at least 1 gold in the last 4 of 5 years. Very happy for her.

Thanks Mango! Thrilled for Kaetlyn after so many doubters, but also for both Alaine and Gabby. Each of these ladies have the potential to medal at every competition, if they skate to their potential. I cannot wait for all 3 to show the world what they are capable of doing....especially my girl! ;)

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alaine and Kaetlyn are both at Skate Canada, but they face formidable competition in Medvedeva and Miyahara. Medved scored 206+ in her two GP events last year, and you can expect those numbers to go up after her Worlds win. Miyahara scored over 206 at the US International Classic last month---she is showing a more outgoing personality in her new programs.

Kaetlyn might have an easier competition in China, where the top two competitors are Radionova and Wagner.
Alaine has it tougher at NHK: Miyahara, Pogorilaya, Sotskova and Higuchi.

TGee

Record Breaker
Just a couple of weeks until GP season kicks off with Skate America...

Gabby Daleman will be representing Canada. In case you missed them, here are a few teasers to get to know her...

ISU's Wait! What? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbatntopmfs

Skate Canada High Performance Camp 2016. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ACj2k7t4I2M

A photo from Nebelhorn..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLI_ZFWDgK4/?taken-by=gabby_daleman&hl=en

And a thank you to coach Lee Barkell

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKwbk3mjDpv/?taken-by=gabby_daleman&hl=en

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All I know is that I have plane tickets for next Wednesday, the 19th, as I will be staying with friends for the competition. Today is the 11th---the competition starts in 10 days, which is NEXT WEEK.