2016 Skate America Free Dance | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Free Dance

Ice Diva

On the Ice
One of the things I agreed with Charlie about is that Madi and Zack's FS is a masterpiece - Montreal masterpiece LOL! IMHO their skating skills are so much better than anyone's in the field except for the third placed Russians. I love the Shibs' music - such a beautiful piece - and they are so clean and precise, but to give them higher SS scores than Madi and Zack is a head scratcher to me.

Lota

Record Breaker
I love B/S's FD. Sadly, the technical content is not all there, in every outing if it's not one thing, then it's something else that pops up, but I have hope that we'll get at least one clean performance this season. That said, their interpretation is really superb. I felt it last year with Anna Karenina, and this year as well that they've reached a level of maturity where they interpret really well. So much nuance in this dance, and I really felt the emotion, love it!

rosy14

Final Flight
agree - this program has to be backed by skating and skating only - there won't be tricks, flashy costumes or OTT expression for sure - and this is far more difficult to accomplish than e.g. choosing a warhorse and try to once again imitate well-known story.

Kudos for them to challenge themselves in terms of music and theme chosen, still not sold and convinced to this FD,but we'll see as season progresses. From scores, judges already love it and a very interesting thing to see would be a face-to
face confrontation of FDs from Tessa and Scott, Shibutanis and Papadakis/Cizeron and how they would be evaluated. Hope it will happen in Nagano in December

P/C first and V/M second, or viceversa, Shibs third, if all skate clean.

rosy14

Final Flight
Wow, seven medals, including two gold, for the US team. This has to be one of USA's best Skate America showings.
Well, if you don't invite the two reigning Worlds champions or the last Olympic male winner, it's not that difficult to get this result.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Goodness! The Shibs are using the same music that was the score for "Wit," an absolutely heartbreaking play/HBO movie starring Emma Thompson as this tough-as-nails professor specializing in the works of John Donne who is dying of advanced ovarian cancer. What a totally brilliant choice of music--and an absolutely brilliant play and movie (one of my all-time faves).

No it doesn't have the explosive visceral punch of excitement that the Coldplay program has, but not everything has to be fireworks with tympani. A candle and a quiet cello can be just as beautiful and exciting in its own way. Yes, it needs polish and at least one of the lifts I would rethink (it's a bit too complicated, so that you notice the work rather than the flow), but I was genuinely moved by that dance. Bravo to them.

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
Well, if you don't invite the two reigning Worlds champions or the last Olympic male winner, it's not that difficult to get this result.

Except that it is the top skaters themselves according to ranking from each federation who chose in which Grand Prix competitions they prefer to compete. It is generally accepted that Canada will want their top ranked skaters at Skate Canada, the same for France, Japan, Russia.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Deserved win to shibutani's

Simple and to the point and right. And yes, I am a Shib fan. But one of the interesting and complex things about this sport/art is that, like so much in life, Quality is what you like. Some people like Picasso and some like Michaelangelo. Its a sport and there are scores and someone wins...and yet, for us fans, how we perceive skaters and their work (art) is so much more....I can't keep my eyes off of the Shibs, D/W, Tan and Ben, etc....and some skaters like V/M bore me to tears.....and that isnt meant to be anything against V/M as far as their personalities or skating skills. I RESPECT Ono. But I prefer Hanyu to watch. But above all I cant keep my eyes off of Jason...and I'm not a big men's fan. I guess emotion for us fans plays a large part in our enjoyment of whoever it is we like.....and figuring THAT out is something only a marketing firm can appreciate....I just like to watch. :popcorn:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Good for the Shibsibs. The panic button might be going off with the Russians. They had to beat H/D and they didn't - but for the deduction would have tied though interesting enough. I wonder though where this ranks with Chock and Bates. Sadly Russia is a hot mess with no one stepping up to the plate artistically and as per usual the three leading contenders technically always make errors or don't get their levels and at this stage that is unacceptable. BS had an outside shot at a world bronze but if they can't even beat the third American team and give a good fight to the Shibsibs they are doomed. Also, it would appear I and Z will battle S andK and Even Stepanova and Bukin and I think one of those teams needs to set themselves as the non traditional dark horse with some kind of radical program and again no mistakes with decent levels - technically the Russians aren't bringing it. But bravo to Hubbell and Donahoe and the Shibsibs.

jcmerman

Rinkside
Yeah, so, ummmmmm, people need to stop comparing The Shibs last years program to this years. Stop comparing and enjoy what it truly is. A piece of art in the making. This, will be a masterpiece by seasons end!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Yeah, so, ummmmmm, people need to stop comparing The Shibs last years program to this years. Stop comparing and enjoy what it truly is. A piece of art in the making. This, will be a masterpiece by seasons end!

I agree. It's not as accessible as Fix You and it's more cerebral, but I already know this program is superior and has much more room to grow whereas by the second half of last season I felt that the Shibs skated Fix You as well as they could have and outgrew it by Worlds (though I do love the Worlds performance and actually watch it more than Nationals).

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yes it's 1992 all over again with Guignard and Fabri!

Classical warhorse with major tempo change? Check.
Enough overemoting to make the dead weep for mercy? Check.
Ticky tacky costumes? You betcha.

While I give them major credit for that first twizzle and the transition to the second, I just don't get the judgelove for this team.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree. It's not as accessible as Fix You and it's more cerebral, but I already know this program is superior and has much more room to grow whereas by the second half of last season I felt that the Shibs skated Fix You as well as they could have and outgrew it by Worlds (though I do love the Worlds performance and actually watch it more than Nationals).

I think it is a smart move as a sibling pair. It is the right direction as they are limited- a romantic piece would be just wrong, really wrong. Give them a chance. Part of the challenge is that the Shibsibs have grown up before our eyes and they have that kind of cute smile Hello Kittyish look so it is hard sometimes to accept they are dong more dramatic or original mature pieces.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
For everyone who has criticized Charlie White's commentary, I agree 117% with everything he said about I/Z. That lift on one knee just kills any momentum the program had up to that point--and as Charlie points out, this is a team all about momentum. Same with the first part of the dance spin. Momentum killer. Charlie may have a point that Bollywood works for a SD but necessarily for a FD.

Losing to the Israelis in the FD should be a wakeup call to them.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think it is a smart move as a sibling pair. It is the right direction as they are limited- a romantic piece would be just wrong, really wrong. Give them a chance. Part of the challenge is that the Shibsibs have grown up before our eyes and they have that kind of cute smile Hello Kittyish look so it is hard sometimes to accept they are dong more dramatic or original mature pieces.

You hit on a really good point there. They're both pretty hot now and it feels weird for me to admit because I've been watching them since they were cute teens and they were cute for a long while as seniors. Even Madison Hubbell said they were cute and remembered when they first burst on the scene as juniors at Nationals and how little and cute they were, and I don't think Alex is much younger than she is.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
This event :slink:

The Shibs' program is total boredom because of the music. Bobrova barely made it to the ice on her feet from curve lift and Elena and Ruslan had their most disappointing skate ever... Wow. And I'm not even gonna comment on Hubbel/Donohue's marks. I was so уxcited for the event and it turned out to be worse than Nepela Trophy :( But I still enjoyed Guignard/Fabbri and Bobrova/Soloviev :hap10:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For everyone who has criticized Charlie White's commentary, I agree 117% with everything he said about I/Z. That lift on one knee just kills any momentum the program had up to that point--and as Charlie points out, this is a team all about momentum. Same with the first part of the dance spin. Momentum killer. Charlie may have a point that Bollywood works for a SD but necessarily for a FD.

Losing to the Israelis in the FD should be a wakeup call to them.

i think many of us didn't disagree with what he was saying... but mostly when and how he said it...
he spoke too much, too fast, with many hesitations (uhmmm) not sure how to make his points. He is obviously not a master of that profession and I am sure he can learn and improve very fast... however, when the feed died and I had to check another option, it changed the whole experience of the FD for me... it was much much better without so much banter.