2017 CS Finlandia Free Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Finlandia Free Dance

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
You know we could say this about some other teams too. But you know, Tessa & Scott actually did perform at a high level and tried their best to get their levels. They even changed a lift which helped them secure victories at NHK and GPF.

By the way according to xeyra's research that "overused music and cliched storyline" of Moulin Rouge is the most commonly used warhorse this season. Do you dismiss them all?

Is it wrong to say that I love Roxanne and kind of wish V/M weren't skating to it? There are just so many of them this year.
I also with she'd wear that great blue dress and not the boring red one. I know, I know..Satine but the blue dress was much, much better than the ugly red one.
Knowing that they really, really wanted to skate to this makes me feel terrible about the fact that I don't love it yet. I might need skating therapy by the time the Olympics roll around.

kresslia

Medalist
It is early but the judges seem to say France is the team to beat. It is PC to lose. Even with a fall there is so much room to improve unlike Virtue and Moir. And people seem to like the FD more than V and M. So the early OGM faves are pc. And SB deserved the silver and the Danes the bronze. It was messy but it is early. The gauntlet has been dropped and the French take the lead.
Hilarious to me that someone can say this at a competition where the French fell.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Sorry but a 9.75 is barely acknowledging the error. It is essentially a perfect score.

In ice dance especially, fall should score no more than 9.0 in PE. Certainly it affects interpretation. And should affect choreography as it is a break in it.

For a judge to say "well I acknowledged that major error by taking 0.25 off." is like a judge giving +2 for a jump with a mediocre landing and justifying it as saying "well I didn't give it a +3!"

Let's say 9.0 in PE, their score should then be 0.63 point less. You may get that right. But reality is if it doesn't happen with other skaters/teams, you certainly won't see it here.
TBH, it really was a great performance. I can get the high PCS. They did get what they deserved for the step sequence, and it didn't affect choreo as much as it could have because it was at the end of the element, luckily for them. The recovery was okay.
I won't compare Ice dance to sigle skating though, too different.
Again, 0.25 less in every PCS is still 1.25 less overall, if applied. It is huge.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Is it wrong to say that I love Roxanne and kind of wish V/M weren't skating to it? There are just so many of them this year.
I also with she'd wear that great blue dress and not the boring red one. I know, I know..Satine but the blue dress was much, much better than the ugly red one.
Knowing that they really, really wanted to skate to this makes me feel terrible about the fact that I don't love it yet. I might need skating therapy by the time the Olympics roll around.

My question was posed to determine whether the poster hates Moulin Rouge, V/M, or both. I need to know what their position is. This isn't the first time I've asked someone to clarify their comments - I know of a poster here who has told us he hates them and I keep that in mind while reading their comments so I can better understand where they're coming from. You can hate Moulin Rouge but give V/M a chance if you wish ancientpeas. Or you could just ignore their FD altogether.

I personally try not to dismiss teams or skaters based on my own tastes. I try to see what they do and their technical level. It's easy for me to denigrate a team or engage in 'propaganda speak' to prop up my favourites but I am more interested in seeing things play out, evaluating scores and results.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
My question was posed to determine whether the poster hates Moulin Rouge, V/M, or both. I need to know what their position is. This isn't the first time I've asked someone to clarify their comments - I know of a poster here who has told us he hates them and I keep that in mind while reading their comments so I can better understand where they're coming from. You can hate Moulin Rouge but give V/M a chance if you wish ancientpeas. Or you could just ignore their FD altogether.

I personally try not to dismiss teams or skaters based on my own tastes. I try to see what they do and their technical level. It's easy for me to denigrate a team or engage in 'propaganda speak' to prop up my favourites but I am more interested in seeing things play out, evaluating scores and results.

No see..that's my point. I love V/M and I love Roxanne but I'm not sure I love them together. It might grow on me. The FD did last year so I haven't given up hope. I just expected to like it more than I did. I think it's more.. disappointment than dislike. Maybe I expected too much?

In fact.. I didn't like any of the free dances from the Canadian teams that I saw at ACI. Maybe I was just grumpy?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's hard yet to say if i prefer P/C or V/M in the Free Dance. P/C seemed to skate more alive in this competition as compared to their first showing of the program, despite the fall. The faster section of the music worked better this time, although the second part of their pair spin still just doesn't feel right with the music (although the spin exit does). It's one of those annoying things where the skaters have to include so much in the spin to get the level and it's very hard to make it go with the music perfectly.

Definitely not one of my favorite P/C programs, but it's still very effective and could possibly be good enough to beat V/M. I prefer P/C in the Short Dance as it stands. Scott is starting to look like a dad who is trying to be hip in some of his Latin moves, sorry.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
No see..that's my point. I love V/M and I love Roxanne but I'm not sure I love them together. It might grow on me. The FD did last year so I haven't given up hope. I just expected to like it more than I did. I think it's more.. disappointment than dislike. Maybe I expected too much?

In fact.. I didn't like any of the free dances from the Canadian teams that I saw at ACI. Maybe I was just grumpy?

:) Some say that Roxanne part is the sharpest bit of the FD because the twizzles are timed well to it. It was their first competitive outing so you should give them until at least NHK. They tend to hit their groove later when they've worked out kinks. I guess it's that way with most teams, though.

I was also a bit disappointed at ACI by the SDs of W/P and G/P. I liked last year's programs more. :eek:hwell: W/P as a whole seem like a work in progress and I know they are late in hitting their stride, sometimes taking the full season to get comfortable with programs, so I am waiting. Their FD also seemed a bit lacking but they can pester Lori to improve it.

I am not going to judge skaters on their aging bodies. If a younger team can be more flexible or do body rolls better that's good for them. Some things are better with age. Historically that has included ice dancers. :)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm not sure about that but I do know they were behind them at worlds.

Stepanova/Bukin finished 10th at Worlds and the Danes finished 13th actually.

Last year, S/B were 1st at Finlandia while FB/S were 4th. And S/B were 5th at Skate Canada, while FB/S were 7th. And S/B were 5th at Euros, while FB/S were 7th.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's hilarious to me that people actually compare scores between competitions.

I'm pretty certain if V/M and P/C had skated these two skates V/M would have beaten them in the FS.

Are we just going to ignore a fall now? Scott fell at Worlds and the French fans were outraged (and I agree, V/M should have been penalized harsher). But then P/C have a fall and the reaction is, that was pretty much negligible and they've cemented themselves as the OGM faves after a FD with a fall?! :unsure: Whaaa?

beki

Medalist
No one cares about the fall because it's just Finlandia. We're not talking about head to head at the Olympics. I like both teams, but I think P/C have better material this year. As a result, whatever edge V/M gained by winning in Helsinki seems already gone.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
We'll compare at the Grand Prix Final, it's just pointless to compare now. Actually, until C/L, Shibsibs and Chock/Bates haven't showed up yet, the Ice Dance field is absolutely unpredictable. And you can't even really compare from GPs to GPs because it gets reversed. Ice Dance is a mess (and we all love it :biggrin:).

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I'm pretty certain if V/M and P/C had skated these two skates V/M would have beaten them in the FS.

Are we just going to ignore a fall now? Scott fell at Worlds and the French fans were outraged (and I agree, V/M should have been penalized harsher). But then P/C have a fall and the reaction is, that was pretty much negligible and they've cemented themselves as the OGM faves after a FD with a fall?! :unsure: Whaaa?

Well of course V/M would have won here, P/C fell and on an element, unlike Scott at worlds. No one is challenging that. I think people are looking at the potential of this program rather the mistakes in the actual performance when analyzing their chances against V/M

slider11

Medalist
IMO, if the two recent performances were put head to head at the Olympics, V/M would win because Guillaume fell. Period. BUT, if that fall hadn't occurred, it would have been close. P/C's diagonal step sequence, even without the fall, was slow and clunky. The rest of the dance was fabulous. Their fluid, fast spins are fantastic. Their innate movements are magical. V/M have the flashier lifts and overall superb technical skills. But if I want to watch a dance again because it was So good and mesmerizing, it's going to be P/C's. Can't wait to see the Shibs' and Chock/ Bates' dances but I think they are vying for bronze along with a handful of others.

cell

On the Ice
Yeah, that was bad - it wasn't even well-executed, it looked ungainly.

Agree, although I enjoyed their skating otherwise. But why the horrible vocals with this music, why???

- - - Updated - - -

IMO, if the two recent performances were put head to head at the Olympics, V/M would win because Guillaume fell. Period. BUT, if that fall hadn't occurred, it would have been close. P/C's diagonal step sequence, even without the fall, was slow and clunky. The rest of the dance was fabulous. Their fluid, fast spins are fantastic. Their innate movements are magical. V/M have the flashier lifts and overall superb technical skills. But if I want to watch a dance again because it was So good and mesmerizing, it's going to be P/C's. Can't wait to see the Shibs' and Chock/ Bates' dances but I think they are vying for bronze along with a handful of others.

I think V/M will win the SD portion of the competition...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Stepanova/Bukin finished 10th at Worlds and the Danes finished 13th actually.

Last year, S/B were 1st at Finlandia while FB/S were 4th. And S/B were 5th at Skate Canada, while FB/S were 7th. And S/B were 5th at Euros, while FB/S were 7th.

Very odd. In my memory I had them skating in the second last flight and finishing.. 7th. For some reason I had that in my head. Thanks for clearing it up. Sorry for the error.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I'm just going to come out and say IT. V/M have the Olympic gold I tell you. Both their programs are superior to those of the french team, fall or no fall, ehem. P/C, though lovely are just not there yet. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. And until I see C/L, Shibs and C/B I am not even saying that P/C are a lock for the silver. What I will say is two spots on the podium are spoken for and the third will be a surprise :) Have a good day now, y'hear.

tzazu

Medalist
I'm just going to come out and say IT. V/M have the Olympic gold I tell you. Both their programs are superior to those of the french team, fall or no fall, ehem. P/C, though lovely are just not there yet. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. And until I see C/L, Shibs and C/B I am not even saying that P/C are a lock for the silver. What I will say is two spots on the podium are spoken for and the third will be a surprise :) Have a good day now, y'hear.

:rofl2:
Oh, sorry, not a joke?:roll9: not even a lock for the silver?:con2:
:popcorn:

bramweld

Record Breaker
:rofl2:
Oh, sorry, not a joke?:roll9: not even a lock for the silver?:con2:
:popcorn:

And in my estimation, FB/S will surpass S/B by worlds. They are such a classy sophisticated pair. Their day is coming so watch out world. They were the highlight of the ID competition for me. Period.