2017 Four Continents Pairs FS | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Pairs FS

Art&Sport

Medalist
I think the placements are generally fair. One could make a case for Peng/Jin being on the podium, but IMO, both switched pairs are still making adjustments and are not really that consistent. I think there was a bit of over-scoring of Yu/Zhang in the sp in any case. Peng/Jin were okay in the sp, and much better in the fp, but despite Luba's fall, I/M overall have more polish and difficult features and better choreo than Peng/Jin's fp, IMO.

Duhamel/Radford, as I said earlier, could have won had they not made the mistakes they made, since Sui fell in the fp. Still, S/H's sp would likely have been difficult to beat even had D/R skated completely clean in their sp. I think overall D/R are a better team than Yu/Zhang -- I think Y/Z were overscored a bit in the sp. When they are on, S/H are boss.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wow, the judges dumped Duhamel and Radford. Look at Sui and Han's pcs. They are wonderful but I am shocked by so much. D and R must be devastated. World champs and tes close to Sui and Han and they got decimated. Now the problem I have with this (D/R v. S/H pcs is that Chan and Brown do not get that kind of scores/respect in men's. I would suggest Chen and Boyang for exampel should have a far greater score differentiation from Hanyu and Chan than what should be between S/H and D/R.

wrong... D/R's program doesn't work unless it's flawless... D/R dumped themselves here... too many bobbles. If they skate this clean, they will be rewarded for it...

bobbob

Medalist
Wow, the judges dumped Duhamel and Radford. Look at Sui and Han's pcs. They are wonderful but I am shocked by so much. D and R must be devastated. World champs and tes close to Sui and Han and they got decimated. Now the problem I have with this (D/R v. S/H pcs is that Chan and Brown do not get that kind of scores/respect in men's. I would suggest Chen and Boyang for exampel should have a far greater score differentiation from Hanyu and Chan than what should be between S/H and D/R.

Yeah, sure there should be a bigger gap in Mens, but the gap in Pairs is totally justified. I actually think the difference in 6 pts PCS is insufficient in this case between S/H and D/R...the skating skills, amazing transitions and flow, choreo of Sui/Han should at least earn them a double digit advantage over d/r.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Sui and Han's pair spin is so stunning and different, but it's very risky. If they fall out of position in any way, they lose a lot of points for their spins. I hope they keep it though, and just figure out how to make sure they have enough time for it.

S/H have a tendency to finish behind their music in their programs, I've noticed. This was especially noticeable during their Stray Cat Strut SP from 2015/2016 where they had so many different variations of their ending pose because they were always running out of time and had to improvise :laugh: I hope they can work it out this time; I also noticed they were a little late during their SP too.

GGFan

Record Breaker

I guess I didn't see it that way. On the day D/R looked less than comfortable once they made that first mistake. S/H quality was superior and I think the gap was deserved today. I think when D/R land their jumps (and have a better program--just my opinion) they have an attack and confidence that would close the PCS gap to 1 or 2 points.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought the music was bland but they sold the music along with their performance to me.

This song is a classic in USA. I've never seen it skated to before, and I liked it very much. I was surprised a Chinese pair would choose it.

Where are you from? Had you heard the music before?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think the placements are generally fair. One could make a case for Peng/Jin, but IMO, both switched pairs are still making adjustments and are not really that consistent. I think there was a bit of over-scoring of Yu/Zhang in the sp in any case. Peng/Jin were okay in the sp, and much better in the fp, but despite Luba's fall, they overall have more polish and difficult features and better choreo than Peng/Jin's fp, IMO.

totally agree with this..

Placements are correct.
Never forget the SPs.
And lubov and dylan have amazing detailed programs... we just never think of them because they leave so many points popping jumps or falling... even tonight, the 3S was < and the throw loop caused a fall... but they managed everything else to a high level. The only thing I wish for them is that IF ever they skate clean programs, they are rewarded fully for them... and not held down because it would be the first ever time they skate clean... if you see what I mean.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
S/H have a tendency to finish behind their music in their programs, I've noticed. This was especially noticeable during their Stray Cat Strut SP from 2015/2016 where they had so many different variations of their ending pose because they were always running out of time and had to improvise :laugh: I hope they can work it out this time; I also noticed they were a little late during their SP too.

normal this year though... as it's beginning of the season for them... and they probably lack stamina... should be better by world...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
:bed: time. I'm not staying up for Ladies.

Thanks for a fun LP folks.

I hope the ladies don't disappoint those of you who watch.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:bed: time. I'm not staying up for Ladies.

Thanks for a fun LP folks.

I hope the ladies don't disappoint those of you who watch.

i feel like watching the ladies... but i shouldn't... sigh.. what to do... i work in 8 hours...

Kutien

Final Flight
SPFS
1Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN225.0311video
2Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD CAN212.2332video
3Liubov ILYUSHECHKINA / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN205.3144video
4Xiaoyu YU / Hao ZHANGCHN203.4025video
5Cheng PENG / Yang JINCHN202.9273video
6Alexa SCIMECA KNIERIM / Chris KNIERIM USA193.9166video
7Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO CAN192.3557video
8Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER USA179.4588video
Medal ceremony

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yeah, sure there should be a bigger gap in Mens, but the gap in Pairs is totally justified. I actually think the difference in 6 pts PCS is insufficient in this case between S/H and D/R...the skating skills, amazing transitions and flow, choreo of Sui/Han should at least earn them a double digit advantage over d/r.

Well then there should be a 12 pt gap between Chan and Chen if we were going to be proportionate. And Hanyu should be say 9 pts higher.

Art&Sport

Medalist
totally agree with this..

Placements are correct.
Never forget the SPs.
And lubov and dylan have amazing detailed programs... we just never think of them because they leave so many points popping jumps or falling... even tonight, the 3S was < and the throw loop caused a fall... but they managed everything else to a high level. The only thing I wish for them is that IF ever they skate clean programs, they are rewarded fully for them... and not held down because it would be the first ever time they skate clean... if you see what I mean.

The very interesting thing will be to see whether Luba/Dylan will maintain and continue to build an advantage over their own rival teammates, Seguin/Bilodeau. It's been unfortunate for S/B that they have lost ground and momentum with being out with injury for Worlds last season, and then another injury which took them out of 4CCs this year. Plus, their woes with their initial sp this season which never worked well for them. If S/B are healthy for Worlds, it will be interesting to see if I/M maintain an advantage over S/B. Certainly winning bronze at 4CCs is a feather in I/M's cap.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hehe.. funny Han on the podium. While Eric and Dylan tower over their partners he has to get on his tippy toes to see over her. Love it.

This is worth discussing. They are definitely a "new look" pair. Typically, a big man towers over a little woman. In their case, they are relatively matched in terms of height.

I think they look like an average young college couple. The hair, the styling.

And it is an ascetic that I like very much.

shuchong

Spectator
I thought the music was bland but they sold the music along with their performance to me.

I agree with you. My feeling is their routine is not only a competition but also a fantastic performance even combined with those technical elements perfectly. Their skating and impression are better than last year even they were excellent last year. They came back with more progress not only a back.

rain

Record Breaker
I feel like Lubov despite her jumps issue has added so much to Dylan's skating, Michael not so much to Kirsten's...

Yes, this. Dylan is a better skater with Lubov. The best thing that ever happened to Dylan was that Kirsten dumped him. Lubov and Dylan really complement each other so well, in an unexpected way. It's really a blessing that we got to see this partnership happen. They really are special.

I wish only good things for Kirsten and Micheal as well. They just seem to be taking a bit longer to develop.