2017 GP Internationaux de France Mens FS | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Internationaux de France Mens FS

bixby

Final Flight
Just realized that at this point, only Shoma and Mikhail are the only two who are locked in for GPF.

These FOUR men; Nathan, Sergie, Boyang & Adam can ALL go to the GPF by placing anywhere from 1st to 4th place and with the 4th place finisher surpassing Jason's total point for the tie breaker as in the case for Boyang and Adam. Nathan & Sergie can afford 5th place finish and still bump Javi out.

- If Boyang or Adam placed lower than 4th, then Jason go to the final
- If both Boyang and Adam placed lower than 4th, Jason and Javi makes it to the final
- If Nathan or Sergie placed lower than 5th, have to break the tie with Javi and Jason is in.

Possible Spoiler: Han Yan, Kevin Reynolds, Takahito Mura & Maxim Kovtun - finishing at least 4th place

Crazy!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It was not my intention to put Jason down. I do not deny his qualities but this is what I mean, when I speak about a good balance between the two things (TES+PCS). It hasn't always been the case with these two either. But they have improved a lot and they eventually got there.

I didn't take it that way at all; I think you made some really good points! And I agree 100 percent regarding Sui/Han's improvements. I mentioned last week that they came a long way from their cowboy free skate days.

As for Jason, he is capable of balancing the two out, like at 2016 Skate America FS (92 TES/90 PCS) or his SP at Worlds/WTT but that hasn't really been the case so far this season. I think his programs are actually difficult choreography wise, which is playing havoc with his usual consistency.

P.S. apologies for the thread hijack, guys. :)

Last edited:

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Only watched a few vids and yay Javi won despite a not so perfect skate! Aother note, plastic stars for medals? :palmf: :sarcasm: :drama:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Misha Ge -> i've always wanted him on the podium and now that he made it i'm happy for him and yet annoyed by how he got there.

I don't like what is happening on Figure Skating: some people complain that quads are too rewarded even when you fall, and skaters don't show their artistry anymore,... ISU solution: let's inflate skaters with only triples program pretending that this is artistry.

Here's my complains on Misha's score:

His bv is 73.73 -> TES 86.09, i can't honestly find all these qualities in his elements.

I don't understand all these +2s on jumps that are telegraphed, some of them very laboured (his 3T on the combo for example) or short.

FSSp3 -> he lost all the speed in the change of variation. For me that's a 0 or even -1 on the GOE (three +2, the rest all +1)

Artistically
- Subpar skating skills with lots of two foot skating, and not much speed;
- Average transitions with some spread eagle and crossovers;
- Great performance but you can tell that he was very focused on the jumps;
- Composition, not the best ice coverage;
- Interpretation of the music, great, he deserves all the 9s for his commitment.

So programs with quads and 2-3 falls are better? no, but at least there is the hope that in the future you'll see programs with multiple quads done with ease.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm over the moon for Misha, but I still....miss the rebellious Misha, that used rap in his fs when it wasn't allowed to use lyrics, the entertaining Misha, who had funky programs and fun out there, no matter what. For me, and this is really only my personal opinion, slow and somber programs do not do him any favours. He deserved his medal here for sure, but for myself I have to say I don't like the direction he took in the last two years. But obviously the judges don't agree. That's okay. Each to their own.

I can’t say I don’t like Misha’s new direction, I will always love my boy,:luv17: but I agree that I miss “old Misha”. I first fell for him when I “came back” to skating in 2014, and I was transfixed by the pink hair, the t shirt, the ebullient attitude.

That said, if ballet Misha gets the medal, then let’s hear it for balletic Misha
:clap:

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Breaking out the popcorn for everyone who's inevitably going to be salty that Uno did a ratified 3Z with no edge call (not even !). :popcorn:

Do you think it was a good, proper lutz? I can't really know since i'm not good at all with technique. Even on replay I have a hard seeing edges change and stuff like that

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm not very fond of slow and somber programs, generally, but Misha somehow draws me in and I enjoy his very much. It's the fluidity, the balletic lines, and his feeling for the music that make it work. That said, I think it would have been nice if there was a little more contrast between his short & long this season with something more energetic. But perhaps he went this route because of his injuries.

Sure, he doesn't have a ton of speed or transitions, etc. But if Caro can medal with her skillset & with errors then I don't have a problem with Misha doing it with 2 clean programs. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. ;) And frankly, I am so disgusted by the high points thrown at skaters like Shoma for messy performances that I am quite ok with skaters like Misha sneaking onto the podium. There's no rhyme or reason to scoring any more so why not. At least Samarin didn't get on there today (but can someone explain where they came up with 10 extra PCS points for him over Vincent Zhou? They both ought to be around 69 in my book...). So that was the only other slightly redeeming part of this competition.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Misha Ge -> i've always wanted him on the podium and now that he made it i'm happy for him and yet annoyed by how he got there.

I don't like what is happening on Figure Skating: some people complain that quads are too rewarded even when you fall, and skaters don't show their artistry anymore,... ISU solution: let's inflate skaters with only triples program pretending that this is artistry.

His bv is 73.73 -> TES 86.09, i can't honestly find all these qualities in his elements.

I don't understand all these +2s on jumps that are telegraphed, some of them very laboured (his 3T on the combo for example) or short.

FSSp3 -> he lost all the speed in the change of variation. For me that's a 0 or even -1 on the GOE (three +2, the rest all +1)

Artistically
- Interpretation of the music, great, he deserves all the 9s for his commitment.

So programs with quads and 2-3 falls are better? no, but at least there is the hope that in the future you'll see programs with multiple quads done with ease.

I can agree with this statement, but not with the direction you are taking it. If a program with quads and 2-3 falls is NOT better than Misha's clean program with no falls, then in this instance Misha should win, --Programs with quads should be rewarded when they are done successfully. The risk and reward must be there for the sport to make any sense. If there isn't a stiff punishment for failed jumps (quads or triples or doubles) then there is only reward, and no risk.
Successful quads garner a lot of points, rightfully so, since they are so difficult. But an unsuccessful quad -or any other unsuccessful jump- should not be rewarded in my opinion.
All that to say, don't give lots of points to a skater (Vincent Zhou for instance) who has only the potential to land amazing jumps. Give the points when they actually land them.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
This competition was the hot mess I predicted.

The failings of Max and Vincent have made it more likely I get the Olympic team I want though, so that's good. Rise, Adam Rippon and Jason Brown, rise!

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

Artistically

Im not saying Misha Ge is exceptional skater or top 5 material. But comparing to others today, he looks that way :shrug: The problem is not in Misha showing medium class of FS, but in others not showing the best of FS while pretending they can do that!!!

QMATTERS

Rinkside
Forgot to mention that I have seen a competition before with train wrecks like this. It was in the U.S. Nationals in one of the years which Johnny Weir won because he was the only one who didn’t fall. That was embarrassing to see at the time!

I hope Men’s skating at this Olympics turns out better than what we saw today.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Another lovely podium again after NHK. :)

I've never been a big fan of Misha, but he deserves his first Grand Prix medal with the delicate and fluid free skate in the splatfest event! I'm happy for him as much as Voronov winning his first GP gold at NHK and Bychenko winning his first GP medal last season. It's too bad that Misha's memorable achievement in his last season will be ruminated with the cheep blue plastic star, instead of any normal shaped medal, unique though.

Despite Javi's condition, he proves in the event that he still is a force to be reckoned with. I was so thrilled about his delightful super form in the SP, so well, that's enough for now. :)

Shoma also fought really hard in spite of his flu and ankle condition. His programs with mistakes were still memorable and touching which are his great strength after Daisuke in Japanese men's skating. :)

The ice looked problematic again as so many men were down and fell. Sigh...please the organizer does not repeat this kind of mistake again.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Home ice and he only got 89. That was stingy.

Uno will get 92 for 3 falls at Nagoya according to your logic.

LMAO stingy?! Gurl. I suppose Osmond should have earned 75 at Skate Canada then. Although who are we kidding -- it would be absurd to give a skater (Osmond or otherwise) a PCS personal best with 3 falls, right? :laugh:

Carol Lane, care to offer some real talk commentary?!? "IT'S RUSSIA!!!!!" :laugh2:

thoakun

Final Flight
Haven't got time to catch up with the 2nd group (not sure if I should :slink:) but just discovered that Kevin Aymoz's listed hobbies on ISU are twirling baton and partying. Bring them in :hap85:.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
so Javier received +1 on first 4T in FS

HOW ? He put his free leg on the ice on landing !

only one judge gave -1, and some of them +2 !!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Congrats Misha.

PCS once proved the judging standard require an overhaul for just being totally crap and unworthy of an artistic sport. 90+ for these, if I am Patrick Chan, I want to quit. Why bother anymore...

The top will always be protected no matter what they do.

Ender

Match Penalty
Congrats Misha.

PCS once proved the judging standard require an overhaul for just being totally crap and unworthy of an artistic sport. 90+ for these, if I am Patrick Chan, I want to quit. Why bother anymore...

The top will always be protected no matter what they do.
To be fair, Chan also belongs to the group that judges love to protect.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Congratulations to the medalists!!! This was not a well-skated men´s freeskate and I did not expect it at all. The Nationals, Europeans and 4CC are the time when skaters need to be near perfect, or some need to be perfect at the Nationals already. The lucky ones need to peak as late as at the Olympics which event will be in about 3 months.

rabbit1234

On the Ice
so Javier received +1 on first 4T in FS

HOW ? He put his free leg on the ice on landing !

only one judge gave -1, and some of them +2 !!

http://www.jsfresults.com/data/fs/pdfs/comm/comm2089.pdf
The final GOE of an element is calculated considering first the positive aspects of the element that result in a starting GOE for the evaluation. Following that a Judge reduces the GOE according to the guidelines of possible errors and the result is the final GOE of the element.

Touch down with one hand or free foot -1

So the final GOE can be positive.